Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The working class is going to get squeezed out - it'll be the rich and 6-figure earners supporting that welfare state. For NYC to become Detroit we would need a couple more De Blasios, which is possible, but the odds are nowhere as high as Chicago which is self-destructing right now. That city is definitely headed towards Detroitism
Are you not aware that most immigrants and their children / grandchildren are working class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 AM

286 posts, read 210,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Are you not aware that most immigrants and their children / grandchildren are working class?
Right. The problem is they work for minimum wage and pay next to nothing in taxes. And get all kinds of financial assistance. So what was your point again?

Last edited by Banbuk77; 05-02-2019 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 AM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I agree. It's a small reason I left. Why would I want to continue paying 1k a month in taxes (I'm only middle class) to continue to support more and more of the people expecting handouts especially those who aren't legally supposed to be here in the first place?

Thanks for the post Monte. Glad you made your way outta NYC.

In my view there is no such thing as a sanctuary state. The entire country (all states) are just a total free for all for illegals.

It's crazy how anybody says "Oh but the illegals do so much great work for us!" but in reality their main occupation is Crime. They are Criminals and they fully understand that they are criminals working around the laws and breaking all the laws constantly. There is no other way around it. There is no way to justify them being here.

Another thing is that being in the USA illegally is not a petty crime because they are breaking the law constantly. It is not like robbing a bank where they break specific laws for a short moment in time. Illegals in the USA are non-stop criminals who continue to break laws non-stop.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post
Right. The problem is they work for minimum wage and pay next to nothing in taxes. And get all kinds of financial assistance. So what was your point again?
The majority of working class immigrants I'm close to are on H1B and other guest worker visas and make between 40 and 100K. My friend isn't allowed to work in the US because her husband is on H1B.

They have to give money to their family in India as well. They don't qualify for financial assistance, and neither do their kids. Immigrants' US born kids and grandkids are also going to be working class, not upper middle class. What demographic do you think Cardi B and Rihanna come from and speak toward?

Rihanna and HoodCelebrityy are immigrants yet they appeal to neither a welfare underclass nor upper middle class sensibility. They appeal to just regular, working class people.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The majority of working class immigrants I'm close to are on H1B and other guest worker visas and make between 40 and 100K. My friend isn't allowed to work in the US because her husband is on H1B.

They have to give money to their family in India as well. They don't qualify for financial assistance, and neither do their kids. Immigrants' US born kids and grandkids are also going to be working class, not upper middle class. What demographic do you think Cardi B and Rihanna come from and speak toward?

Rihanna and HoodCelebrityy are immigrants yet they appeal to neither a welfare underclass nor upper middle class sensibility. They appeal to just regular, working class people.
Oh, I see. So next time instead of saying 'most immigrants' would you please say 'most immigrants who came on H1B visa'. And what percentage of all immigrants do you think H1B holders constitute to make your anecdotal fact relevant to a discussion about illegal immigration?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Oh, I see. So next time instead of saying 'most immigrants' would you please say 'most immigrants who came on H1B visa'. And what percentage of all immigrants do you think H1B holders constitute to make your anecdotal fact relevant to a discussion about illegal immigration?
I know immigrants. I would say more than 90% of my classmates growing up were either immigrants, children of immigrants, or migrants from territories like Puerto Rico, USVI. Maybe 20-30 people I grew up with are DACA and their parents are totally illegal.

H1B is probably 30-40% of the mix, illegal 30-40% and other legal 20%. Today around 85% of my neighbors are either immigrants or children of immigrants. People who are illegally here lay low and don't apply for things like Medicaid even if they're technically eligible because it would threaten their green card application.

They also pay more taxes than other people because they don't get standard deduction, I've never seen higher percentages of taxes paid than on an ITIN return.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM

I get it. You went to a school with a lot of immigrants which makes you an expert on how much taxes their parents pay and what assistance they are getting. No more questions.
Ok, maybe one more: do you think the country needs millions of uneducated immigrants? Would it make more sense to bring only those who would contribute or everyone is welcome?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I get it. You went to a school with a lot of immigrants which makes you an expert on how much taxes their parents pay and what assistance they are getting. No more questions.
Ok, maybe one more: do you think the country needs millions of uneducated immigrants?
I've done hundreds of ITIN tax returns in a professional capacity and have seen what they got back. ITIN is for those ineligible for an SSN. I'm fine living with millions of uneducated immigrants because after all I live in NYC. Not sure what you mean by uneducated, most people in NYC don't have a college degree regardless of migration status.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I've done hundreds of ITIN tax returns in a professional capacity and have seen what they got back. ITIN is for those ineligible for an SSN. I'm fine living with millions of uneducated immigrants because after all I live in NYC. Not sure what you mean by uneducated, most people in NYC don't have a college degree regardless of migration status.
Uneducated means being illiterate when talking about illegal immigration. Not only in english, but in their native languages. There are also people who are functionally illiterate who can manage to read something but unable to grasp the meaning. Those would be some 30% of current high school graduates.
They for example would read a question about if something is good for society and somehow think it was a question if they personally could live with that.

Last edited by Banbuk77; 05-02-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: