Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 09:22 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Have you ever done it? I might try sometime - though I don't know if I'd make it all the way through.

One Island, 32 Miles, a Million Emotions
A 12-hour tour on the edge of Manhattan

This year’s saunter, on Saturday, will be the first since the death of Cy Adler, who founded the annual event in 1982. Walkers will gather at Fraunces Tavern in Lower Manhattan at 7 a.m. to walk clockwise up the West Side, around the top of the island and back down, to end at the same spot 12 hours or so later.
A trickle of walkers made their way quietly, each at their own pace. Wind carried the smell of daffodils across Battery Park toward the Statue of Liberty, and a flagpole creaked. Police officers stood together laughing and drinking coffee. Some walkers chatted, in pairs or trios. But many remained alone, occasionally conversing with a stranger whose pace happened to match.
Sea gulls, cyclists, the blustering wind. When you hit your stride, your steps become involuntary, like a heartbeat or the mechanics of a car. That is when you begin to float: to notice, think, to wonder at every blade of grass. It is the sort of movement that allows for the play of time and memory — lonely, then fulfilling, then desperately, profoundly sad.
And then you are blindsided by emotion, by joy. City walking represents a mental and spiritual freedom, a church for those not good at sitting still. It is a compulsive, romantic act. You can travel for miles and every moment encounter something new: weeping willow beside the river, cherry blossom and so much fresh, lush grass; those heartbreaking remnants of abandoned piers struggling to rise above the water’s surface, history decaying in plain sight.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/n...manhattan.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 04:14 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Sounds like something I would do. Maybe one day...

Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 PM

35 posts, read 18,180 times
Default Did it a few times

I used to enjoy it and went a few times.
But I no longer go as for me it became unpleasant when the number of walkers increased a lot, lot, lot *and* competitive walkers started to participate. It is not meant to be a race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City