Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:30 PM

37 posts, read 231,958 times

Advertisements

Is there any stigma attached to a person living in Chinatown in Manhanttan other than you are Chinese? Or do most New Yorker think you are poor if you live in Chinatown? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Chinatown is not exactly for poor people. I know artists who live/work there and there is no stigma. I don't personally know any Chinese who live there, and if there is a stigma within the Chinese community when you say you live there, then I wouldn't know about it.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 PM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
Is there any stigma attached to a person living in Chinatown in Manhanttan other than you are Chinese? Or do most New Yorker think you are poor if you live in Chinatown? Thanks
what made you ask this? just curious.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 PM

37 posts, read 231,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
what made you ask this? just curious.
the rent in Chinatown seems to be lower than other areas in Manhattan, so I am assuming it's where most poor people live in Manhattan. I am not a New Yorker, forgive me if I make any mis-assumption.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM

I know a guy from Bangladesh who was offered a position with a prestigious NGO in Manhattan, making a decent but not huge amount of money - like $150K. When another friend who knows my neighborhood (Jackson Heights) tried to convince him that he should look for a place here because of all its charms, proxmity to midtown, affordability etc etc - the Bangladeshi guy woulnd't consider it because I think he was afraid of being labelled or lumped in with all the working-class Bangladeshis that live here.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:50 PM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
the rent in Chinatown seems to be lower than other areas in Manhattan, so I am assuming it's where most poor people live in Manhattan. I am not a New Yorker, forgive me if I make any mis-assumption.
chinatown isnt that desirable of a residential neighborhood....its got a real old tenement look to it reminiscent of the lower east side in the early half of the 20th century. that 1 reason why its cheaper.....but to answer your question, there is no stigma about being poor if you live there.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-13-2008, 05:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
if you live in chinatown most people will think you are chinese

That is the only stigma

If you are somebody else people will be just surprised, and ask you about the food

Old 04-13-2008, 05:16 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,293 times
Quote:
If you are somebody else people will be just surprised, and ask you about the food
Which is easy to answer. "Absolutely amazing." And then just say that it's not like pseudo-chinese like all over the US, and that it's authentic chinese. and, of course, extremely affordable.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 7,354 times
the only reason u choose of a neighbor cuz of some stigma..then u must be nutz...here in nyc..most ppl choose neighborhood based on if they can afford it or not and if it is safe or not.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim&mike2gether3eva View Post
the only reason u choose of a neighbor cuz of some stigma..then u must be nutz...here in nyc..most ppl choose neighborhood based on if they can afford it or not and if it is safe or not.
I think Ace Rock will tell you that dating is impossible if you live in an undesirable neighborhood because the first question you get asked at a bar is "where do you live"? At least I think it was Ace Rock who said that.

And I would imagine the same goes for people who are in business and trying to get clients. The prestige of where you live can and does make a difference. So I don't think it's "crazy" to ask. And how do you know how "most " people make their housing decisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: