Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:26 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times

Advertisements

This should be interesting: https://ny.curbed.com/2019/5/22/1861...payment-system

But have a hunch MTA will screw things up as always. That and or there will be cries from usual suspects and or their supporters that the new system somehow promotes "inequality" or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 02:43 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,999 times
From what I know, is only for pay per ride now. No unlimited ride allow.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:47 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,740,027 times
The big issue is the fools who won't have their credit card ready when they approach the turnstile. Many people keep their Metrocard tucked somewhere relatively accessible where they wouldn't necessarily keep a credit card (mine is in a pocket on the outside of my wallet, for instance). I'm just picturing all the morons not realizing they need to dig their wallets out of their pockets and their cards out of their wallets until they are right at the turnstile. Justifiable homicide in a crowd.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:33 PM

313 posts, read 213,039 times
I can't wait! Metrocard needs to go!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
ios only?

Old 05-22-2019, 05:49 PM

313 posts, read 213,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
ios only?
Will work with Google Pay and Samsung Pay as well.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
The big issue is the fools who won't have their credit card ready when they approach the turnstile. Many people keep their Metrocard tucked somewhere relatively accessible where they wouldn't necessarily keep a credit card (mine is in a pocket on the outside of my wallet, for instance). I'm just picturing all the morons not realizing they need to dig their wallets out of their pockets and their cards out of their wallets until they are right at the turnstile. Justifiable homicide in a crowd.
And you still have some of these morons that don’t know how to properly swipe a metro card. It took them like 10 times to swipe through.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:20 PM

128 posts, read 115,401 times
I wonder what My ID/metrocard will look like in a couple of years hmmmmm ???????

Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 5,875 times
The most interesting part of the new program is there is a plan to cap your monthly cost instead of having to purchase a monthly metrocard. I'm very excited for this part.

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-met...are-1.14945261

Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
And you still have some of these morons that don’t know how to properly swipe a metro card. It took them like 10 times to swipe through.

New system likely will be great for subways; but won't do a GD thing to speed up anything on buses.

Old, elderly and other mobility impaired make up a large part of NYC bus ridership. Added to this those who *still* have not figured out how to use a Metrocard, and or have some sad tale of woe and misery to tell bus driver as to why the thing has no money, and you're looking at about nearly one minute (give or take, if not more) per passenger to board. That does not sound like a long time but multiplied by several persons boarding per stop then number of same along entire route, and things add up.

Then you have prize winners like this.

Against better judgment took Third avenue limited bus uptown instead of heading over to the Q. It was just pulling into 14th and it was pouring rain so....

Ride was what it was due to traffic, but noticed as stated above most who got on were old/elderly and or took several moments to pay with MC.

This lady gets on with an open umbrella. First she's holding up people behind her (who are standing in rain), because she cannot figure out how to close the thing. Others move around her, so she steps into the bus and driver tells her he's not moving until umbrella is closed due to safety concerns. This woman turns the open umbrella upside down on a seat, then wanders up to pay fare. Meanwhile bus driver has shut things down and isn't moving.

Paying fare for reasons known only to God took this woman several minutes. She then returns to the open umbrella. Meanwhile people are starting to get upset and one woman loses her *** and shouts "close that umbrella so bus can move". Woman is like "I am trying....", and finally does figure out how to close umbrella, then goes "there, are you happy"? I swear the woman who shouted was about to get out of her seat and beat that woman down.....

That sort of stuff goes on all time and is one reason why bus service in NYC is often slower than molasses in January. A new payment system will only go but so far in addressing these concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: