Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 7,889 times

Advertisements

So I have now been living in Brooklyn for a month and have noticed lots of places only take cash and more importantly, the stores/bodegas don't always have prices on stuff and just charge a flat fee without taxes. I'm sure it is a different price depending on the person. I get it...you can change the numbers when paying Uncle Sam or even the state of NY...but I feel like I am getting ripped off at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 05:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,756 times
Can you give an example of being charged a different price, and did you mention anything to the store clerk ? You can always ask for a receipt and compare it with the next purchase.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Can you give an example of being charged a different price, and did you mention anything to the store clerk ? You can always ask for a receipt and compare it with the next purchase.
Grocery stores in Astoria have a different price for the fruit outside than the same fruit inside

Old 06-17-2019, 06:46 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
You're probably paying LESS because of the cash only thing so be grateful. That being said, pretty much every bodega I go to takes card also.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 PM

11 posts, read 7,889 times
Yes...I've gone in to the same place and paid a different price for the same bottle of water. Also, I'm having to stay with AirBNB so I am experiencing this with different neighborhoods as I move around...so it's not just in one place. I don't like keeping cash on me but most places only take cash that I have been to.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:58 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
be glad its cash only

Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 PM

198 posts, read 119,304 times
Didn't the city council ban cash only businesses? Oh wait....no, that's right, they dealt with an even greater scourge: CASHLESS businesses.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman0916 View Post
Yes...I've gone in to the same place and paid a different price for the same bottle of water. Also, I'm having to stay with AirBNB so I am experiencing this with different neighborhoods as I move around...so it's not just in one place. I don't like keeping cash on me but most places only take cash that I have been to.
It's annoying when places don't post prices on their products. At the very least they should have a small sign next to the fridge that lists what kinds of drinks cost what amount. I prefer not to shop at places like that myself. Can you just stick to larger stores instead of bodegas?

Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Grocery stores in Astoria have a different price for the fruit outside than the same fruit inside
But isn't that a little different?? I shop at those places all the time and they always ask where you got the fruit - inside or outside, and they charge accordingly. The employees always seem to know exactly how much everything costs (and they are always right when I bother to check). That's somewhat impressive, given the prices on fruits and vegetables are always changing depending on supply/demand and season.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:15 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's annoying when places don't post prices on their products. At the very least they should have a small sign next to the fridge that lists what kinds of drinks cost what amount. I prefer not to shop at places like that myself. Can you just stick to larger stores instead of bodegas?
I find that the prices at bodegas are similar and predictable, at least for the items I buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City