Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

Both Durant and Irving are taking less money going to Brooklyn instead of Knicks. I know even with this move, MSG would still pack the house with a losing team with all the non-fans and Brooklyn will have the real NBA fans showing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 10:31 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
I don't know about KD. That injury was pretty bad and he's going to be 31 when he's back on the court. Not saying that's old but it's certainly not young. If it was 5 years ago I would have been really upset about this. As soon as I saw him limp off the court during the Toronto series I knew he was no longer going to be a NYK. Kyrie would have been nice but I had reservations about him. He has the tenancies to be a malcontent and if the Knicks aren't doing well guess who'll be miserable?
I'm hoping D'Angelo Russell doesn't get resigned by the Nets and the Knicks pick him up. I also haven't given up on Kawhi. He's the crème de la crème in this years free agency.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:51 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,146,114 times
Dissed okay like that matters. The Knicks did the right thing from a basketball perspective. Irving is a head case who is always hurt and next time Durant plays he'll be 32 coming off the worst injury you can get in the NBA. GL with that Brooklyn. LOL

Old 07-01-2019, 11:11 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I don't know about KD. That injury was pretty bad and he's going to be 31 when he's back on the court. Not saying that's old but it's certainly not young. If it was 5 years ago I would have been really upset about this. As soon as I saw him limp off the court during the Toronto series I knew he was no longer going to be a NYK. Kyrie would have been nice but I had reservations about him. He has the tenancies to be a malcontent and if the Knicks aren't doing well guess who'll be miserable?
I'm hoping D'Angelo Russell doesn't get resigned by the Nets and the Knicks pick him up. I also haven't given up on Kawhi. He's the crème de la crème in this years free agency.
Russell is going to GS via a sign and trade as part of the Durant trade I believe.

Knicks may have dodged a bullet with KD. Achilles injuries are serious injuries, past athletes have not recovered well from it as history has shown. Kyrie is not a game changer imo. Time will tell.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:47 PM

432 posts, read 552,203 times
Paying him $164M when you know going in that he’s out for one year isn’t worth it. The average salary for the 3 years he will actually suit up will be $54M a year. That’s insane.

As for Irving, yes he is talented but he’s a selfish malcontent and will cause issues eventually. He also doesn’t appear to be in top shape (for an NBA superstar) so the concern for injuries increases as each year goes on. He doesn’t exactly have Lebron’s or Kobe’s physique.

Not a bad non-move by the Knicks.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
Paying him $164M when you know going in that he’s out for one year isn’t worth it. The average salary for the 3 years he will actually suit up will be $54M a year. That’s insane.

As for Irving, yes he is talented but he’s a selfish malcontent and will cause issues eventually. He also doesn’t appear to be in top shape (for an NBA superstar) so the concern for injuries increases as each year goes on. He doesn’t exactly have Lebron’s or Kobe’s physique.

Not a bad non-move by the Knicks.
The Nets team doctor performed the surgery on Durant. Nets obviously knows how bad the injury. Well, the good thing with them is the Nets are deep enough to not need Durant right away. They've made it to the playoffs without any superstar players.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:28 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Nets gave Durant 164 million to PLAY for 3 years. LOL (four-year, $164 million deal)

You have to remember that Kevin Durant is no Kobe. He is mentally fragile and i doubt comes back as Pre-Achilles Durant in the 2020 to 2021 season. It is a HUGE gamble giving this guy a max offer.

Kyrie is transforming into Chris Paul.

The Knicks did the right thing or got lucky by dropping the ball. They have a lot of money to play with and maybe can get another good talent. The squad is pretty young.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Both Durant and Irving are taking less money going to Brooklyn instead of Knicks. I know even with this move, MSG would still pack the house with a losing team with all the non-fans and Brooklyn will have the real NBA fans showing up.
I was pissed.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:18 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The Nets team doctor performed the surgery on Durant. Nets obviously knows how bad the injury. Well, the good thing with them is the Nets are deep enough to not need Durant right away. They've made it to the playoffs without any superstar players.
It's the worst injury you can have in sports. Not even the best doctors can predict how he will recover from it and his level of performance when he is cleared to play. With he Knicks' bad luck with recent free agent signings/trades and injuries, I would be very uneasy as a fan (Amar'e, McDyess).

The Nets were desperate enough to take that gamble, I mean why not, it's not everyday that they are a top free agent destination, let alone an all time great in KD. Theyre playing Russian roulette. Kyrie alone won't be enough for the Nets to win a chip.

Last edited by nyccs; 07-02-2019 at 05:43 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
It's the worst injury you can have in sports. Not even the best doctors can predict how he will recover from it and his level of performance when he is cleared to play. With he Knicks' bad luck with recent free agent signings/trades and injuries, I would be very uneasy as a fan (Amar'e, McDyess).

The Nets were desperate enough to take that gamble, I mean why not, it's not everyday that they are a top free agent destination, let alone an all time great in KD. Theyre playing Russian roulette. Kyrie alone won't be enough for the Nets to win a chip.
I am well aware of ACL injury. Derek Rose is a good example, elite player becomes just a good player after surgery. But there are fine examples of player being better after surgery such as Adrian Peterson who had 2 ACL surgeries done and still ran for over 2k yards as an all pro RB. It will depends on how good Durant makes adjustment to his game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: