Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 10:51 AM

204 posts, read 636,527 times

Advertisements

I understand landlords are required to accept vouchers so we did invite people to apply if they meet the credit and 40x rent threshold that we set.

The question is, is that income/credit screening valid in these prepaid programs that cover rent/deposit for the next year? If not, why would it not be valid considering every landlord go in with the mentality to get long term tenants so if the city is providing help for 12 months, we would want to know if they can handle the rent after the 12 months. If they don't pay, we'll have to deal with 12 months plus of eviction.

We just had someone who claims that it is illegal to deny her the apartment based on income/credit (didn't even provide credit) because the program/voucher covers all costs. Others have done the same and claimed their case manager said that they didn't have to provide income/credit.

This didn't make any sense as then the only screening that we can do then is pets and no pets for people who holds a voucher? Why wouldn't credit/background not be needed still?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 AM

5,467 posts, read 5,744,069 times
Do you own a building with six or more apartments?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:50 AM

204 posts, read 636,527 times
No. I don't. I think the new law doesn't have that stipulation however.

We have no problem taking voucher, however, we don't want to left holding the bag once that prepaid amount runs out thus needing that income/credit verification to make sure they can stay on without any assistance.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:15 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,789,569 times
While I freely admit I know nothing about the laws, I'm guessing that if you wait until you have a few applications, then you can browse through them. If you meet them, I imagine it's legal to reject someone because you feel that they were rude or seemed not to have bathed recently.

Do you get to ask for references? If so, ask for professional and landlord references, NOT personal references.

Really, check with the city or with a lawyer.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:45 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,289,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post
I understand landlords are required to accept vouchers so we did invite people to apply if they meet the credit and 40x rent threshold that we set.

The question is, is that income/credit screening valid in these prepaid programs that cover rent/deposit for the next year? If not, why would it not be valid considering every landlord go in with the mentality to get long term tenants so if the city is providing help for 12 months, we would want to know if they can handle the rent after the 12 months. If they don't pay, we'll have to deal with 12 months plus of eviction.

We just had someone who claims that it is illegal to deny her the apartment based on income/credit (didn't even provide credit) because the program/voucher covers all costs. Others have done the same and claimed their case manager said that they didn't have to provide income/credit.

This didn't make any sense as then the only screening that we can do then is pets and no pets for people who holds a voucher? Why wouldn't credit/background not be needed still?
I'll say it again; people would be best served by reaching out to competent legal counsel as opposed to relying upon unknown advice from internet.

Being as that may: https://www.amny.com/real-estate/ten...ban-1.33255395

https://gothamist.com/2019/06/14/ren...nants_laws.php

If you think a $1000 fine is going to prevent a serious LL from not investigating prospective tenants, and thus possibly be on the hook and out of tens of thousands if person is a deadbeat, think again.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,074,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post

Talk to lawyer or perhaps the Rent Stabilization Association. They have counselors to help you with laws.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:25 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,856,686 times
Unless another newer new law was recently adopted, the original new law stated that a landlord can not deny a tenant based on the source of income. They can deny a tenant for prior evictions, bad credit and crimnal history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: