Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:53 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm42 View Post
LOL at these posts, great stuff.

E180th at Morris Park Ave would have been a great location for the CitiBikes, there's plenty of side walk space in front of the enormous 2&5 station.

especially the one on Gun Hill going towards Montefiore Children's Hospital, that's a killer.

ugh. yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM

1,186 posts, read 967,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are they going to improve the biking infrastructure in the Bronx? It’s been working well in Brooklyn and Manhattan for me when I’m not on my own bike, but years ago I biked through the Bronx and it was not great. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just that I really think infrastructure to support such is important.
Yes, this ^. I use Citibike frequently to get from GCT downtown and even with the Hudson bike path, getting back up to 42nd is a nightmare, I wouldn't even attempt the Bronx.

Most of the time there's vehicles obstructing or parked in the bike lanes so you get forced into the middle of traffic during rush hour, which most people who are casual commuters aren't going to be keen on and I don't blame them. The subway is terrible but the chance of death is significantly reduced (hopefully).

Old 07-24-2019, 10:03 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,239,214 times
I live in the Bronx. I like my boro. I want us to have nice stuff. But I gotta say, my neighborhood has the most ruthless and active bike thieves I've seen in almost 30 years of biking in NY. I don't even leave the bike on the street in daytime anymore. Last time I did, it lasted 2 hours on a well trafficked sidewalk and was stolen about 10 AM.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
I wouldn't even dare to bike in Bronx. The amount of disrespect I see on the road you'll become another statistics.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM

32 posts, read 19,836 times
I also live in the Bronx, and just yesterday I saw some dude carry a citibike up into the subway station as I was walking down the station steps to go home.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:42 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I live in the Bronx. I like my boro. I want us to have nice stuff. But I gotta say, my neighborhood has the most ruthless and active bike thieves I've seen in almost 30 years of biking in NY. I don't even leave the bike on the street in daytime anymore. Last time I did, it lasted 2 hours on a well trafficked sidewalk and was stolen about 10 AM.
I'm so lucky I live on Castle Hill and work on Gun Hill. When I bike I have the greenway that begins by the former site of the Whitestone theatre and take it directly to Pelham Pkwy then right to Gun Hill. I grew up biking every where in the Bronx. What area are you in ?

Old 07-24-2019, 04:44 PM

37,170 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Yes, this ^. I use Citibike frequently to get from GCT downtown and even with the Hudson bike path, getting back up to 42nd is a nightmare, I wouldn't even attempt the Bronx.

Most of the time there's vehicles obstructing or parked in the bike lanes so you get forced into the middle of traffic during rush hour, which most people who are casual commuters aren't going to be keen on and I don't blame them. The subway is terrible but the chance of death is significantly reduced (hopefully).
Yea, the city really needs to improve its biking infrastructure and actually enforce traffic violations. I think a carrot and stick can work with the carrot being expanding the curbside area near fire hydrants and bus stops to be delivery and pickup/dropoff services only, but then the stick is really cranking down on double parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City