Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 AM

21 posts, read 12,408 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2019/07/15/abel-c...-hs-classmate/

A Bronx judge didn’t buy a teen’s claim that he stabbed a classmate to death over constant bullying because he is gay — and found him guilty on all counts Monday.

Abel Cedeno, 19, had requested a non-jury trial, meaning the judge decided his fate on first-degree charges of manslaughter and assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

When Cedeno’s lawyer asked for bail for his client until sentencing in September, Justice Michael Gross, retorted, “The presumption of innocence no longer applies to Mr. Cedeno’’ and ordered him remanded.

“This was a possible and foreseeable outcome,’’ Gross added of Cedeno’s actions.

The teen had plunged a switchblade into the chest of Matthew McCree, a fellow student at the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation, in September 2017 after the victim and a male pal allegedly tossed a ball of paper or pen at him and three started fighting.

Cedeno, who also seriously wounded the friend, has since come out as bisexual.

“I love you, Papi!” Cedeno’s tearful mother yelled to her son as he was led away in handcuffs after the verdict.

The teen replied, “I love you, too.’’

Cedeno will be sentenced Sept. 10 and faces up to 25 years behind bars on each of the top two counts alone.

“What does my heart tell me? That the judge did the right thing with that verdict,’’ said McCree’s mom, Louna Dennis, after the verdict.

“What was in my heart? That praise be to God for this outcome, for the prayers and everything that all my family and church has been doing for me,’’ she added.

At trial, Cedeno said he didn’t remember the actual moment he killed the 15-year-old McCree.

He said he just whipped out his knife n the hopes that “people would be afraid and not come near me’’ but that McCree charged him and he stabbed him in self-defense.

As Judge Michael Gross read his verdict, McCree’s family gave a hushed cheer from one side of the courtroom, while Cedeno’s camp on the other side started weeping.

The killer’s lawyer, Christopher Lynn, asked the judge to allow his client to stay out on bail until sentencing.

“He’s certainly not going anywhere, Judge. He has no resources. He’s been a resident of this city and state his whole life,” Lynn said.

But the judge replied, “The presumption of innocence no longer applies to Mr. Cedeno” and ordered him remanded.

Bronx DA Darcel Clark said in a statement Monday, “In a matter of seconds, the defendant took out his knife and stabbed two students in front of a crowded classroom.”

The two victims “did not know and did not socialize with the defendant prior to the incident,’’ she said.

“The incident has forever traumatized the young students and school faculty who watched in horror the violence that unfolded that morning.”

There goes that self-defense idea. I shouldve posted this two days ago, but i had to tend to other matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 12:38 PM

80 posts, read 115,869 times
Can’t really be self defense if he was just getting bullied and had a paper ball thrown at him.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
On another hand , that other prick won’t bully anyone ever again.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
On another hand, that other prick won’t bully anyone ever again.
The self-defense claim lost because he brought a knife to school and attacked those three. Those two boys NEVER interacted with Cedeno himself before that date. Cedeno even said it himself.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:39 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
I think the defense made an error in choosing a bench trial (judge decides) over a jury trial. The law was against him for using a knife so there was little chance a judge would decide not guilty. A jury trial might have had some sympathetic jurors and maybe he could have gotten a mistrial.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think the defense made an error in choosing a bench trial (judge decides) over a jury trial. The law was against him for using a knife so there was little chance a judge would decide not guilty. A jury trial might have had some sympathetic jurors and maybe he could have gotten a mistrial.
According to the news reports, Abel chose the Bench Trial over the Jury Trial because he feared that he wouldn't get any support amongst the Latino and Black communities, stating that they were homophobic in The Bronx. So he and his defense chose the bench trial, believing the Judge would be sympathetic towards their cause. It doesn't help that the defense kept on pissing off the judge.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:28 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Femto666 View Post
According to the news reports, Abel chose the Bench Trial over the Jury Trial because he feared that he wouldn't get any support amongst the Latino and Black communities, stating that they were homophobic in The Bronx. So he and his defense chose the bench trial, believing the Judge would be sympathetic towards their cause. It doesn't help that the defense kept on pissing off the judge.
Bronx juries sometimes favor the criminal like when Larry Davis shot six cops and was acquitted by a jury. This kid's lawyer should probably have tried for a plea bargain. I don't know if one was offered but this case seemed custom made for one.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Bronx juries sometimes favor the criminal like when Larry Davis shot six cops and was acquitted by a jury. This kid's lawyer should probably have tried for a plea bargain. I don't know if one was offered but this case seemed custom made for one.
He was offered one, but his defense declined it, stating that "He'll serve 10 years anyway"

Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I think perp can claim a self defense. I have been through bullying, and bullied others all simultaneously.

Bullying really is very bad thing to do especially if long term. This perp likely could not get away from the bully, and suffered long term bullying.

The perp has to protect himself somehow. Often violence is only choice. I know I have been though this too. The teachers are not going to do crap.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
well, when you are a bully,

only then.............................................. ........do you get what you deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City