Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 PM

46 posts, read 30,559 times

Advertisements

I'll soon be renting out my current one-bedroom condo in Manhattan.

Should I do it myself, or should I retain a broker?

The way I see it, the advantages of using a broker are:
(1) I don't need to deal with appointments and being present for viewings;
(2) Broker may have knowledge about my building's board approval process.

On the other hand, the pros of finding a tenant myself are:
(1) Better able to vet prospective tenants - this is important to me given how much of a headache it can be to evict a bad tenant
(2) Easier to rent out because the prospective tenant won't have to pay a broker's fee.

For people who have rented out apartments in Manhattan, how did you do it, and what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwitting Landlord View Post

(1) Better able to vet prospective tenants - this is important to me given how much of a headache it can be to evict a bad tenant
(2) Easier to rent out because the prospective tenant won't have to pay a broker's fee.

For people who have rented out apartments in Manhattan, how did you do it, and what would you recommend?
If you're smart, you'll hire and vet a good broker. Surely there must be a broker that you trust and can use? If money isn't a problem, I would let the broker do the grunt work, then you can further screen them if need be.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Is it common/acceptable practice to tell the broker that I would like to personally meet and interview the prospective tenants?

This is my first time renting out an apt as a landlord. My experience as a renter has been that the broker seems to have absolute authority (I never even met or knew who my landlords were until after I got the apt).

Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,815 times
I use a site dedicated to my peoples. Never a problem with tenant then. I would never rent to just anybody.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:45 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times
I don't think it's common but I wouldn't be shocked, especially when you're talking about a small landlord renting out their one apartment. However--give the broker agreement a hard eye. Some of them require payment of a commission so long as they bring in a suitable willing tenant, so make sure your contract gives you a veto.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:10 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwitting Landlord View Post

I had rented out a condo in the Bronx, both with and without a broker, and my experience is that brokers are fairly useless in detecting a bad tenant in advance. They can only check a tenant's background for up to two years back. My last tenant had actually previously filed for bankruptcy, and the broker did not know that - I received the info about the bankruptcy (and various financial protections that bankrupt people enjoy) from the tenant's lawyer about 10 months after she started renting from me! Fortunately, the tenant did not abuse her bankruptcy status by non-payment of rent, though she could have easily done it (she did some other bad things at the end of her stay in my apartment, but she paid the rent while she needed the apartment, thank goodness).

While you cannot rely on a broker to detect a tenant that will cause problems, having a real estate company MANAGE your property (which does not cost too much) might be useful legally, though: there are a million requirements with which a landlord has to comply in NYC (eg, are you aware of a NYC law that requires a landlord to paint the rental apartment every 2 years, even though the tenant has not changed?), and the real estate firm will be knowledgeable about them. If I were to rent out an apartment again in NYC (which I won't do because I've come to consider it much more risky than it's worth it), I would definitely hire a real estate firm to manage it - not because I don't know how to rent a normal property to normal people in a normally run city, but because in NYC a small landlord really needs that layer of legal protection, at a minimum (and it is far less expensive than constantly consulting a lawyer).

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-20-2019 at 07:20 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,845 times
If you can find a broker who has a strong history in your building, there might be an advantage there, otherwise, the only advantage is saving time.

It's easy top get the property up on streeteasy and other sites, and far more people will be interested as you can list it by owner/no fee.

A broker would maybe have you meet the tenants at lease signing, but might be concerned that you're looking to violate discrimination laws with your "vetting."

Interviewing a tenant isn't going to tell you anything unless you're a trained interrogator. You can have a background check done, request a landlord reference, credit check, check housing court history, that will tell you far more.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
If you can find a broker who has a strong history in your building, there might be an advantage there, otherwise, the only advantage is saving time.

It's easy top get the property up on streeteasy and other sites, and far more people will be interested as you can list it by owner/no fee.

A broker would maybe have you meet the tenants at lease signing, but might be concerned that you're looking to violate discrimination laws with your "vetting."

Interviewing a tenant isn't going to tell you anything unless you're a trained interrogator. You can have a background check done, request a landlord reference, credit check, check housing court history, that will tell you far more.
Makes sense.

My understanding is that under the new rent laws passed this year, "check housing court history" is no longer permissible. Of course, nothing prevents you from looking up names on ecourts, but ecourts deletes Landlord-Tenant cases 14 days after last appearance.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:30 AM

529 posts, read 712,878 times
If you want to do it yourself and get a good tenant, then charge a below market rate. You will have your pick of the crop.. Accept noone with 720 or lower credit score. Make sure their communication is always respectful and demonstrates a proactive attitude.. Stick with professionals and you are not likely to have any issues.

Don't respond to anyone who sends a one line inquiry.

Brokers will just look at credit score and income and ignore the personality of the tenant.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 5,874 times
Something to look at is whats being listed in your building already. If everything is being listed as NO FEE then you might have trouble listing with a broker who will charge a fee to the tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City