Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,976 times

Advertisements

i'm living in a two family house in harlem that i just found out is actually SRO restricted by the DOB.
i guess it was never properly converted by the current owner. He was delivered a certificate of non harassment when he purchased it 10 years ago, but it has since expired because he never closed out his permits (but did renovate to a two family from a one family). There is no certificate of occupancy.

my landlord has never mentioned any of this, obviously. he has asked me to move out early from my lease as he wants to get the house ready for a sale.
i'm just wondering what my options are.
thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:32 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
pack your sh** and move

Old 09-29-2019, 11:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
pack your sh** and move
What he said. He wants to sell his privately owned property. I doubt any new buyer is willing to inherit any potentially problem tenant in this climate

Old 09-30-2019, 01:19 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleeyes222 View Post
i'm living in a two family house in harlem that i just found out is actually SRO restricted by the DOB.
i guess it was never properly converted by the current owner. He was delivered a certificate of non harassment when he purchased it 10 years ago, but it has since expired because he never closed out his permits (but did renovate to a two family from a one family). There is no certificate of occupancy.

my landlord has never mentioned any of this, obviously. he has asked me to move out early from my lease as he wants to get the house ready for a sale.
thank you.

Don't usually get involved with this sort of thing, but....

If you have a valid legal lease then you cannot be touched. If end date of lease overlaps sale date of building, tough cheese, seller will inherit *all* tenants with a valid legal lease.

If current owner or buyer wants you to leave before lease ends, they will have to meet your number (buyout). If not go tell one or both to go pound salt. Furthermore inform them of new laws regarding tenant harassment.

There are at least two websites that deal with these sort of issues; tenant.net and Metropolitan Council on Housing. That and or go to local housing court during business hours and find those attorneys giving out free legal advice for tenants.

Furthermore suggest contacting DCHR to find out if the apartment in question truly is no longer SRO, and or falls under any other regulation.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 09-30-2019 at 01:49 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 08:35 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,147 times
If he doesn't have a valid C of O, you have a lot of power.
You should talk to a tenant lawyer.
He legally can't collect rent, and he'll have a hard time getting you out.

If you want to leave, you could push for a small buy-out, or just stay and enjoy.

He did the crime, now it's time to pay the fine.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:58 AM

264 posts, read 136,494 times
if he got a certification of non harassment, the SRO status is irrelevant to you.
and if there is no certificate of occupancy, i dont see how can that play in your advantage eater.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:08 AM

34,063 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:

thank you.
Here you go OP:

https://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-hel...day-night-law/

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-30-2019, 02:44 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,352 times
Quote:

thank you.
Lawyer up!
Sounds to me like you can get some free rent for the inconvenience of having to move out early before your lease expires.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:44 PM

494 posts, read 557,503 times
Do you want to rent another apartment in Manhattan in the next 10 years? Because taking this to court, win or lose will be a huge black mark on you to landlords. Good luck renting another place no matter how much money you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City