Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 04:39 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

So says new report: https://gothamist.com/news/why-mta-c...-down-homeless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 07:17 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Opinion:
I was right all along. The news media are a bunch of liars..............(Sarcasm) hahahahaha..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JR1SGgvWlQ

Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 PM

155 posts, read 121,188 times
I'd like to know what subway trains that person takes? Maybe the homeless folks may not cause as much delays, but it is definitely NOT a pleasant ride. Sometimes, a homeless person is also dealing with mental illness, and in a small subway car, that can be dangerous.

Two examples of interactions I've witnessed involving homeless people:

1. I was on a 5 train heading north into the Bronx. The train departs 125 Street, where a woman of a short stature got on the train. While the train is in the tunnel, she begins screaming at the top of her lungs. She seems enraged at nothing in particular. Then she began throwing her belongings at some of the passengers. Some moved out of her way, but she continued walking up to people. She walked up to an older woman who was sitting and she clenched her fists as if to punch the woman. At that point, a man went to intervene. She throw a battery at his face. By now, the train had arrived at 138 Street-Grand Concourse, and the man physically pushed the homeless deranged woman of the train and onto the platform. At the next stop, the paramedics were called for the woman who was almost hit as she seemed to be in shock and simply terrified.

2. I was on a 2 train heading north in the Bronx. The train pulled out of Intervale Avenue station when an intense stench of urine, feces, and anything else you can think of took over the car. A homeless man came onto the train quietly but the stench was so bad EVERY single person on that car moved to the next car before the train reached Simpson Street.

It really is a quality of life issue and I don't want to continue paying so much money to have to deal with these things daily.

I'm fortunate that there is a ferry in Soundview that I have been using to commute to work over taking the subway.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:35 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Can we hear from working people who take the train 5 days a week, as opposed to people who don't??? I'd rather hear from those folks, instead of comments from retired and/or semi-retired people...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-20-2019, 07:57 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,221,736 times
Commuting 25+ years from an undisclosed location in the outer boroughs 5 days a week.. It's the worst I've ever seen it.
Once in a blue moon I'd see a panhandler or homeless person in my local stop, now its constant. Two or three spaced out people laying across the benches every morning. The train pulls in with whole cars unusable because of shopping catrs loaded with crap, and people stretched out on the seats.

It's BS. And we are to blame for collectively voting or not voting in the same dip ****s every four years.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I don't care what excuse they have to shovel to sweep the subways of homeless just get it done already

Quality of Life is for real, actually, really bad using the subway compared to just 5-10 years ago

Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 AM

144 posts, read 163,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't care what excuse they have to shovel to sweep the subways of homeless just get it done already

Quality of Life is for real, actually, really bad using the subway compared to just 5-10 years ago
This is true but mostly concentrated in outer boros. I spend a couple of months staying in Coney Island this winter and was shocked at how every car on the train would have a homeless guy or two in the morning. This almost never happens in Manhattan (my usual commute between UWS and midtown).

Old 09-25-2019, 03:59 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can we hear from working people who take the train 5 days a week, as opposed to people who don't??? I'd rather hear from those folks, instead of comments from retired and/or semi-retired people...

I work and use the trains daily. Even the homeless now complain about too many homeless. It gets very hard to panhandle when you are the 3rd person to pass through in a 15 minute interval. Some of these people have been on the lines so long that most of the regular commuters recognize them and their lies.

And now the urine soaked folks no longer stay in the last car as they used to. Now they see themselves as providing a "service" to us by making us feel sorry them. One day when of them tried to squeeze in between me and another woman and was perplexed about why I got up, cursed her out and left. Why should I get to work smelling of her urine.

Some of them increasingly get angry when they are ignored. They seem to think that we have an obligation to feed whatever habit that they have, having tantrums like a 5 y/o kid whose phone was just snatched away by a parent, who is getting off the train, and fears that the kid might drop it. One of them was screaming at us that in 7 hours she only got $19. it was all our fault!

The homeless should be removed from the trains as this is inappropriate, both for them and for others. Those with mental issues need help, and this isn't achieved by leaving them on the train where they threaten others and risk attack from irate passengers. One day a woman took out her pepper spray when a homeless man didn't stop harassing her for money. Luckily he ran off just in time.

Yes many of the working people lose sleep about their struggles in paying their rent. I suggest that the limousine liberals with their savior complexes house these people in their building lobbies instead of insisting that ordinary people must put up with this mess. And they should clean up the mess, not force the janitorial staff have to put up with it!

Old 09-25-2019, 04:03 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
This almost never happens in Manhattan (my usual commute between UWS and midtown).

No shock because these are the hypocrites who call the rest of us heartless when we complain about the stench.

I suggest that the UWS becomes a homeless encampment with every building lobby occupied and we will see if they still scream and call others cruel when they protest about having to put up with this.

MTA cleaners have a hard enough time as is and then have to deal with a mental case who then deliberately defecates in front of them when told to move. Then the person will scream about their rights, as if the cleaner doesn't also have this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City