Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times

Advertisements

I nearly got clipped by an old hag on her cell phone as she was trying to make a right on 6th ave. She nearly clipped a bicyclists and continued to stay on her phone as I was yelling at her. I wish I smashed her windshield. Maybe that would have woken her up. And a block later some POS millennial girl almost runs me over on her citibike because she wasn't paying attention.

You idiots are all walking around distracted on your phones and your headphones on oblivious to world around you and then you b*tch and complain about getting hit by vehicles and bikes? Please. Take your headphones off you morons and pay attention!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I nearly got clipped by an old hag on her cell phone as she was trying to make a right on 6th ave. She nearly clipped a bicyclists and continued to stay on her phone as I was yelling at her. I wish I smashed her windshield. Maybe that would have woken her up. And a block later some POS millennial girl almost runs me over on her citibike because she wasn't paying attention.

You idiots are all walking around distracted on your phones and your headphones on oblivious to world around you and then you b*tch and complain about getting hit by vehicles and bikes? Please. Take your headphones off you morons and pay attention!
The takeaway here is that you found the only old hag in NYC that uses a cellphone

Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM

430 posts, read 506,347 times
Quote:

Sir, this is an Arby's

Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The takeaway here is that you found the only old hag in NYC that uses a cellphone
It's not just the old hag, it's everybody walking around with their face in their phones or headphones on. Do people not realize how dangerous the city is? We have scaffolding setup everywhere, erratic drivers, bicyclists, homeless, degenerates, potholes, etc and no one seems to be paying attention. I just saw some woman cross the street the other day face down in her phone and almost got hit by a car. She was completely oblivious to the car coming. What is wrong with these people?

Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
It's not just the old hag, it's everybody walking around with their face in their phones or headphones on. Do people not realize how dangerous the city is? We have scaffolding setup everywhere, erratic drivers, bicyclists, homeless, degenerates, potholes, etc and no one seems to be paying attention. I just saw some woman cross the street the other day face down in her phone and almost got hit by a car. She was completely oblivious to the car coming. What is wrong with these people?
I agree. People just can't stop walking and texting and just walk everywhere with their cell phone out and their head buried in it. I yelled at a lady in my neighborhood the other morning in fact. She was walking and texting and almost walked into me. You have to walk and lookout for yourself and for them too.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
Quote:

It seems like every year, more and more people of all ages and backgrounds are becoming increasingly oblivious to the people and the environment around while in public. Somehow, people have this mistaken belief or instinct that they can effectively walk, cycle or even drive with their faces buried in their devices--or more often they simply don't care.

It's really annoying to be walking down a crowded sidewalk to work and suddenly the person in front of you slows to a crawl because they pulled their phone out. My favorite is when someone pulls out their device and stands blocking subway or building entrances or in the middle of an otherwise congested area. It's much safer and more considerate if you pulled over/stood out of the way while you texted or replied to emails.

I really had to nag my middle aged friend as he was driving with me in the passenger seat to stop him from checking and replying to his texts and emails--while he was driving on the freeway. I'm not talking about a hands free setup either--he was typing with one hand and looking at the screen.

It's become a kind of mental disorder.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
I'm certainly guilty of walking and using my phone but I keep it to a minimum before I start my jogging mode to get around hordes of phone zombies hogging the sidewalks. A recession will fix this, most people who don't hurry will be out of the job as we've gone almost a decade without a downturn where only the strongest, smartest, and fittest folks will keep their jobs and the rest will have to adapt to be competitive. In the previous recessions, my train gotten empty and emptier each month. The only ones left with a job are those that hustle and go about their business.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:36 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm certainly guilty of walking and using my phone but I keep it to a minimum before I start my jogging mode to get around hordes of phone zombies hogging the sidewalks. A recession will fix this, most people who don't hurry will be out of the job as we've gone almost a decade without a downturn where only the strongest, smartest, and fittest folks will keep their jobs and the rest will have to adapt to be competitive. In the previous recessions, my train gotten empty and emptier each month. The only ones left with a job are those that hustle and go about their business.
I think a big part of why people are communicating on their devices no matter where they are or what they are doing is because they already feel they must do that in order to remain competitive. As more younger people who are comfortable with 24/7 communication are rising to higher level positions they are bringing that culture/expectation with them and applying it to their workplaces.

What started as fun little texts at midnight to your friends has evolved into frustration from your boss who didn't hear from you while you were in a movie theater.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:45 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
I was just in NYC, and not on a phone, but I noticed that there is this group jay-walking thing that I did that was not too smart - just kind of followed the crowd and did not pay attention to oncoming traffic. I noted that I actually need to look both ways and be more conscious.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times
You just know that? Is been like this for the past five years or so. You are late to the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City