Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 01:01 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I literally have never had a single one of these problems, and there are 72 apartments in my building in a complex of 2,000+ people. Maybe we're all just responsible in my building? I also never hear barking and there are many dogs.
Perhaps you are in an area that have rules in place to limit the issues or in a complex with responsible dog owners. Rules like pick up after the dog, dogs must be on leash at all times, size, weight, and breed restrictions, etc

Where i was i never heard the dogs, they didnt bark or make noise so no one knew there were dogs you just saw them, even knocking on the apartment door, the dogs didnt bark. There were also no limits or rules and if they were, no one followed them. There were Rottweilers who looked like they bench press weights being walked by grandmothers that can barely control the dog. If the dog felt like it wanted to cross the street to do whatever, best believe it dragged grandma across the street to accomplish whatever. Pitbulls being walked by children that im sure the dog weighed more then the kid walking it. German Shepards.....these were the notorious shakers that took up their fare share of elevator space and would soak anyone in the elevator with them or splash water all over the hallways when they shake. Someone even had one of those big wolf looking dogs with the light blue eyes (i dont know the breed), this dog loved to take big ****s in the lobby as soon as it got out the elevator. Those ****s were the size of a grown adult **** if you didnt know a dog did it you would think someone dropped a deuce in broad daylight right in the lobby and didnt wipe.

Maybe if i grew up in your complex that didnt have these these dog problems i would see it differently about dogs in high rises. After 20+ years of seeing this its hard to see it differently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 08:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
It can definitely work. I have a 10lb dog and live on the 45th floor. Dogs are pretty good at holding it. Smaller dogs not as good and old, small dogs even worse and my dog is all of those. But she does well. The elevator is close and fast. We keep on a schedule and I've never once had to get up in the middle of the night. We keep a pee pad out, but she hasn't needed it in months.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:14 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
We train our small dogs to go on pads. To train put a small amount of human opposite sex pee on the pad. They get the idea. For males I bought a small plastic red fire hydrant for him to aim at and you can wash it. If it doesn’t work buy a small piece of Astro-turf and wash it weekly.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:29 AM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
To train put a small amount of human opposite sex pee on the pad. .

That is a real funny thing you mentioned. We had the storm and I had to bring my grandparent over from her "high-rise" and she had wet the bed. Our dog is very territorial and was constantly observant. However when she did wet the bed the dog attempted to urinate on the bed as well, which was odd.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 AM

123 posts, read 96,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
It is not ridiculous to say dogs shouldn't be allowed in high rises. If it was ridiculous there wouldnt be buildings that have no dog policies. This does not include the dog barking or running up and down late at night making noise as thats to be expected in a dog friendly building.

The issue here is that not all people are responsible dog owners. Ive been in many scenarios where dogs were an inconvenience to me and others because the owners never bothered to train the dog and constantly use the excuse "its a friendly dog". I personally dont mind dogs. They dont bother me and im not afraid of them such as being bit.
The issue here is some owners mess it up for others and thats why they shouldnt be allowed.

Rain. No one want to be in a elevator with a wet dog. That dog shakes and dirty water goes on everyone. A responsible dog owner would get the dog a rain coat, let the dog shake off outside, wait for an empty elevator or take the steps but more often than most they with just go right in with the wet dog and enter the elevator while others are in there. or dont want to wait for an empty elevator

Jumping on people. A responsible dog owner knows to keep the leash tight while the dog is in a confined space such as elevators. but many slack the leash and the dogs walks around sniffing and jumping of people. dirtying others clothes in the process.
I can make up a similar list about kids. Are we gonna ban those too?

Old 10-23-2019, 11:45 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
We've been in condos for many years -- PETS, pool and parking are the three big "P"roblem areas ... Most have rules governing pets for good reason.

The problem with dogs/pets in condos is NOT with the dog/pet, but, the OWNERS! (dogs can't read the rules anyway).

Old 10-23-2019, 02:13 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
I can make up a similar list about kids. Are we gonna ban those too?
There is a huge difference between kids and dogs. But if you want kids banded then just live in a Senior Citizen home .

There is a place for everybody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: