Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:14 PM

99 posts, read 63,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
Welcome! Come knowing what to expect, and you'll have a blast.

If you've traveled to other cities before and used their metro systems, you'll have no problem with our subway. I mean, it's a little dirtier, but it's not confusing if you're familiar with subways/metros.

Google Maps is your friend! Make sure you get a good international cell phone plan so you can easily navigate around. It should account for route changes/subway service changes the day of the parade. Google will tell you if it's faster to take the subway or a taxi. Download the car service app Uber and it will save you the hassle of having to tell your driver where you're going.

It's going to be very cold. Hopefully you're from the part of Australia with a winter, because it's rough being outside alllll day in the cold. Dress very warm, lots of layers, etc.

It's going to be insanely crowded. Hopefully your kids are not too young and they won't be wandering off getting lost. You're going to be in a sea of other people who are not New Yorkers and have no idea where they're going or what normal NY etiquette is. Do not underestimate the crowds. Just go with it. You're here for a unique experience, right? It'll be unique.

Be very mindful of bathroom needs. Don't over hydrate. Don't drink too much coffee or tea. Any time you find a place with a bathroom, use it, even if you don't really need to go at the time (e.g. Starbucks, your hotel, a restaurant). You're going to be outside in a crowd of people in the cold with no bathrooms. Prepare yourself for that.

Anyway, I'm sure you're going to have a great time and make great memories with your family! It will be a totally unique experience that you can talk about forever. Come prepared for an intense day, and you'll be great.

Good luck!
Thanks for this - I mentioned my background a few moments ago in another post. We are based in North Jersey...see that other post for details.

But thank you for taking the time to explain.

Are there other things to do on that day after the parade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 04:45 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
Thanks for this - I mentioned my background a few moments ago in another post. We are based in North Jersey...see that other post for details.

After standing on line to get in, dealing with the crowds, the lack of bathrooms, and the COLD weather.......I am pretty sure that you will not want to be anywhere but home, the next day......

I am a New Yorker........have only been to it.......ONCE, and will never do it AGAIN.......

Old 11-08-2019, 07:07 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times
Don't know if it's worth it.
People camp out starting at 7 am,only to wait for the start.

Don't know what to offer but, been there never again.same as NYE.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:20 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
After standing on line to get in, dealing with the crowds, the lack of bathrooms, and the COLD weather.......I am pretty sure that you will not want to be anywhere but home, the next day......

I am a New Yorker........have only been to it.......ONCE, and will never do it AGAIN.......
Sounds like Times Sq NYE. One of those things that you only do once...if not at all.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:19 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post

He wasn't talking about the next day but rather the same day, after the parade is over.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:54 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Don't know if it's worth it.
People camp out starting at 7 am,only to wait for the start.

Don't know what to offer but, been there never again.same as NYE.
Not the same as NYE. This parade route is very long and there are plenty of points where you can just walk up to without having to camp out early.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:

There is plenty to do just like any other time. Sightseeing, shopping, eating. It all depends on what you and your family is into.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Hi, we'll be coming with the kids for the Macy's parade - we will be first timers.

What are your best tips for us to make it through the day and have some fun? Which street, areas are good to view from? What happens if we are late ( some say arrive by 600am)? Should we drive or take subway/buses?

Any help would be nice - would like to make this a memorable experience for the whole family.
You're coming from Australia for the parade???

I can't give you parade advice. I've never watched, but if I did, I'd try to do it from the comfort of someone's apartment. But I just wanted to remind you to keep in mind things other than the parade. It might turn out that the most memorable thing might be the restaurant you ate at, or the store you wandered into.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,600 times
The day before Thanksgiving the large parade balloons are inflated by the Museum of Natural History. You can take the C train. Could be fun for the xhildren.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
So many negative responses. I've done the parade a bunch. Anywhere along the route is fine so pick what's most convenient for you. Getting there at 6am is great will give you a curb spot right up front. Bring a blanket or sheet to lay out so you keep your space and can sit before the parade starts. As more and more people come, you tend to loose some of your space you got there so early to get. If you pick a spot near a business you can usually, use the restroom with purchase. Just make sure to have half your family stay and save your parade spot.
Weather can vary. It can be freezing or really warm. But figure you will be outside for 5-6 hours, if you get there by 6am and the parade goes to noon where it ends at 34th street. If you want to be done sooner then go closer to the start of the parade, which is along Central Park West. You can get hand warmers at Sport stores like Modell's and usually drug stores like Duane Reade. They are $1 a package and very much worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City