Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:50 PM

10,070 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
How MUCH of an issue? I really don't want to break my neck looking for a place because I have a dog; however I'd prefer to avoid a broker's fee if at all possible. I do have a free place to stay in Manhattan so that I can head up there and spend time looking, but that won't be finished (uncle and aunt building a condo in the Meat Packing area) until June. I won't be moving until August though, so that's probably good enough.
It's tough to avoid the broker's fee in the city. As for the boroughs, it's a bit easier to find apartments with "no fees" and those that will be rented directly by owner, but in Manhattan, don't even count on it.
The "no fee" apartments are usually very strict with approvals and require excellent credit and income of at least 45 times the rent (sometimes higher) for the past 2 consecutive years. It ain't a walk in the park to get approved for a space in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 02:56 PM

69 posts, read 293,821 times
A good "no-fee" site is nybits.com. That's where I found my apartment. They give you a listing of a bunch of management-owned properties in NY listed by what part of the city it's located. Also will tell you whether or not they allow animals. A good chunk of the places on nybits.com are luxury buildings so they are a little bit pricier. Of course, this all depends what you are looking for. if you want something that's a walk-up with more 'charm' (i.e. exposed brick, moldings, the like), nybits is probably not a good place to check.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
3. Monthly maintenance/common charges for a condo cost THOUSANDS, and may equal or exceed the rent of a comparable rental unit.

4. Most people live in Manhattan only for a short while. Not long enough to justify the costs of buying and the cost of selling (5-6% real estate agent's commission).
3. Monthly maintenance/common charges are usually in the hundreds, well below rent for a comparable apartment, but then condo owners also pay property tax separately. Co-op owners' taxes (whose maintenance is still well below rental rates for similar apartment) are included, as they are really contributing to the corporation's expenses.

4. I don't know who you mean by "Most People." Certainly not the people I know. Do many young people leave the city when they marry and start families? Yes. Just wait a few years. A lot of them return as empty nesters. But there is still a sizable group of Manhattanites who have not left since they arrived decades ago (by birth or migration) and have no intention of doing so.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Default go uptown!

Hello Texan!
I live in Manhattan - Harlem, to be precise - for $1640/month (2 bedroom.) Harlem is NOT what its former reputation suggests - getting much much nicer and it's very safe. LOTS of parks nearby for your dog. And the commute is Very very fast - about 10-15 minutes to midtown from 125th st. Plus, I've found that you get more bang for your buck up in Harlem - more space for your money.

Now you have way more money than we do, so I would suggest looking somewhere around Columbia in Morningside Heights. You could get something much nicer than where I live that's below $3000.

As far as no brokers fees, we didn't pay one for our apartment. There are online services now (I don't know whether I'm allowed to say the name on this forum! am I?) that you pay around $200 and they give you a ton of listings - many of the same listings brokers get - and direct contact info w/ the leasing office. I've gotten two apartments here through that service.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-31-2008 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: no realtor information permitted

Old 08-01-2008, 05:24 PM

181 posts, read 866,694 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. We decided on a newer building in Long Island City, just across the East River. We're really happy with the choice, and made it because it was much easier coming from out of state to get nailed down. We figured that during our first year in the City, we'll get a better idea of what areas of the City we really like, and that'll likely make it easier, should we chose to move at the end of the year, to find the right place for us. Thanks again, everyone. I'm really excited to be a part of your great City! This past week while I was there really opened my eyes to what a great opportunity I've been given.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 20,397 times
Texasgs02 how long will it take for you to get to midtown from your new home?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammagnus View Post
Texasgs02 how long will it take for you to get to midtown from your new home?
I can answer this as I live over there too. It is one stop on the 7 train to Grand Central, 2 to 42 St/5th Avenue, and three to Times Sq. So Grand Central would be barely five minutes actual time on the train plus a couple minutes walking to the train, waiting for it, etc. Times Sq. 10 mins on train.

Transfer at any of the 3 Manhattan stops on the 7 to go farther uptown or downtown. 7 connects to the 4,5,6,B,D,F,V,Q,N,R,1,2,3,A,C and E, and Metro North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City