Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:39 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times

Advertisements

I learned years ago while traveling to ignore anything I saw hyped on the Food Network because if they have it on, they hype it, and whether it's good or not doesn't count at all. Ditto YouTubers getting a free meal, most of whom have no background in food to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 10:46 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I learned years ago while traveling to ignore anything I saw hyped on the Food Network because if they have it on, they hype it, and whether it's good or not doesn't count at all. Ditto YouTubers getting a free meal, most of whom have no background in food to begin with.
IMO, that's a benefit.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I have never heard of this famous place.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Been to a number of steakhouses in NYC, a good steak can be anywhere as long as the timing is right and your steak was properly cooked and served. Had a good ribeye at an Italian place in NYC. I didn't want to eat pastas because I am on a keto diet so I saw the menu they had a ribeye for $37, so I picked that. It turned out that it was really prepared and cooked well to my surprise. You're suppose to order Italian specialties there.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:51 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Been to a number of steakhouses in NYC, a good steak can be anywhere as long as the timing is right and your steak was properly cooked and served. Had a good ribeye at an Italian place in NYC. I didn't want to eat pastas because I am on a keto diet so I saw the menu they had a ribeye for $37, so I picked that. It turned out that it was really prepared and cooked well to my surprise. You're suppose to order Italian specialties there.
If the chef is someone that knows how to prepare Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Tuscan Porterhouse) it really shouldn't be a surprise! That is an Italian specialty.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:17 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
While in NYC for the Macy's parade in Nov 2006 we ate at Gallagher's, on 52nd a few steps from Broadway by the NovoTel hotel. Had a great meal with excellent service.

I went to a burger place in the Original Farmer's Market in Los Angeles (next to The Grove mall) and it was one hell of a letdown even though the TV food show claimed the burgers there were legendary, etc. My advice is to take a pass on most of those places touted on TV shows.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Texas Roadhouse--and I'm not kidding--has some of the best cuts I've ever had. Salads are very fresh too.

I've been to Ruth's Chris and all of the others--Peter Lugar included and they're absolutely, positively no better. When you account for price, the fancy places don't come close. They only exist to impress clients on how much you spent on them while trying to close a deal. That, and maybe some ambiance. Peter Lugar's was a grave disappointment. I've heard they're closing (closed). Buh-bye.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Texas Roadhouse--and I'm not kidding--has some of the best cuts I've ever had. Salads are very fresh too.

I've been to Ruth's Chris and all of the others--Peter Lugar included and they're absolutely, positively no better. When you account for price, the fancy places don't come close. They only exist to impress clients on how much you spent on them while trying to close a deal. That, and maybe some ambiance. Peter Lugar's was a grave disappointment. I've heard they're closing (closed). Buh-bye.

Stop the insanity..................Texas Roadhouse is like Outback/Longhorn all cheap steakhouses serving cheap meats.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
I have a hard time not keeping price in mind when I'm eating out. The steak may be slightly better than other places, but is it worth twice the price? If a normal steak dinner is $20-30, is this $50-60 steak twice as good? I just have a hard time enjoying outrageously-priced food and have never found it to taste as good as my expectations.

Mostly I enjoy food that my wife and I make and if I eat out, it's mostly due to convenience. Even places that are not that expensive, I'll find myself asking if it was really worth it. My wife and I went to Panera for the first time recently and dropped $35 on a sandwich for each of us and a bowl of chili to share. I could have made a slightly better sandwich for much less and the chili was slightly better than most canned chili, but not really worth $7. We drank water just because I find spending more than $40 on a couple sandwiches for lunch just insane.

A restaurant I definitely think was worth the price was a small, family-owned place in Texas. You could see the wife in the back breading the catfish and making homemade onion rings. The catfish dinner was about $12 and for $5 you could get a 32 oz chalice of beer on tap. They brought you fresh-baked rolls before the meal. Two catfish dinners and the chalice ran us less than the Panera sandwiches.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Go to Peter Luger next time.
Been to it. Its not that much better either. Their thick cut bacon appetizer is also famous, and is very salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I have never heard of this famous place.
Couch potatoes, and youtube addicts will know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
If the chef is someone that knows how to prepare Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Tuscan Porterhouse) it really shouldn't be a surprise! That is an Italian specialty.
Isnt that mostly about the cow much like Wagyu is hyped for the way it is raised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
While in NYC for the Macy's parade in Nov 2006 we ate at Gallagher's, on 52nd a few steps from Broadway by the NovoTel hotel. Had a great meal with excellent service.

I went to a burger place in the Original Farmer's Market in Los Angeles (next to The Grove mall) and it was one hell of a letdown even though the TV food show claimed the burgers there were legendary, etc. My advice is to take a pass on most of those places touted on TV shows.
Been to Gallagher's recently too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: