Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 05:22 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because Kansas is the new Datacenter mecca in the south. There are tons of tech companies all moving there due to cheap taxes, housing, and plenty of space.

If you walk around NYC, what do you see? Well I saw atleast 20+ construction workers, homeless people, random potsmokers standing around. Most of the smart tech workers like Indian folks mostly live in NJ.

Not to mention NJ has the best Ivy League school in the country. That is Princeton U.
Above Harvard or Yale? Hmm, sounds a bit subjective...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 06:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Since it's very easy to get a degree these days, I'm not sure how indicative that is of intelligence. I would be curious to see how these combine with income.

Quote:
If you walk around NYC, what do you see? Well I saw atleast 20+ construction workers, homeless people, random potsmokers standing around. Most of the smart tech workers like Indian folks mostly live in NJ.

Not to mention NJ has the best Ivy League school in the country. That is Princeton U.
You're also ignoring the rest of the state of New York, which is a mixed bag in terms of education. But there is also Cornell for those upstate.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:32 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Opinion:

So the knucklehead Network Developer calls me to the house to drive a nail into his
wall to hang his Diplomas. Charge $400 dollars. The look on his face? Priceless......................

Old 11-23-2019, 08:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Since it's very easy to get a degree these days, I'm not sure how indicative that is of intelligence. I would be curious to see how these combine with income.

You're also ignoring the rest of the state of New York, which is a mixed bag in terms of education. But there is also Cornell for those upstate.
I think the stats tells us that smarter people don't usually stay in NY for long. It may have some of the most prestigious schools but alot of those students are out of state.

Millionaires are leaving and educated smart grads lured to other states.

NJ has a large concentration of pharmaceutical and biotech companies. You have to be very educated to get into these places compare to a tech company in NYC.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Above Harvard or Yale? Hmm, sounds a bit subjective...
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...league-schools

Princeton has been #1 for a while. This is not new.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:03 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
I'm not sure why this is surprising. New Jersey is basically one giant suburb for Manhattan. The while collar workers with money move out there for bigger houses and better public schools. NYC is filled with recent immigrants who pull down the average educational level.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Apparently NJ has the highest percentage of college grads, and percentage of people with STEM Degrees and call themselves something like Scientist or engineer.

I dont think that means anything. The fact that one can simply buy their way into the said institution is an indication that is possible to buy the accolades from said Unis as well.

Merit is not always the case. It may even be a rare occasion. So having the title of scientist or engineer dont mean jack. You prove it by showing your work in which you were an indispensable part of.

Plus NJ has lots of rich people and they are known for buying their kids accolades. Take Jared Kushner, we all know about him and Harvard. And now he is a mighty politician.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm not sure why this is surprising. New Jersey is basically one giant suburb for Manhattan. The while collar workers with money move out there for bigger houses and better public schools. NYC is filled with recent immigrants who pull down the average educational level.
Yeh this too.

But then Long Island and Westchester is in same boat.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

Degree usually correlates with generational wealth. So many who are degreed come from middle class or above, and will have connections to keep that level of income

Upstate has Rennsalaer, Rochester.

Quote:
I think the stats tells us that smarter people don't usually stay in NY for long. It may have some of the most prestigious schools but alot of those students are out of state.

Millionaires are leaving and educated smart grads lured to other states.

NJ has a large concentration of pharmaceutical and biotech companies. You have to be very educated to get into these places compare to a tech company in NYC.
I always here about this biotech, and pharma companies. But are these particular companies on the cutting edge of their science or just there for the ride? If they on the cutting edge great, if not, then just a bunch of paper pushers.

Quote:
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...league-schools

Princeton has been #1 for a while. This is not new.
Is US News the authority on this matter?

Old 11-23-2019, 08:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Hahaha The poster acts like a NY-er when it suits him and claims NJ when it suits him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City