Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:24 AM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I don't disagree, do most of these delivery services pay their workers a set hourly wage or do they rely on tips to make minimum wage?
No they don't. They get paid per delivery. And not that much. Less then min wage. They do count on the tip to make it a decent paid job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
No they don't. They get paid per delivery. And not that much. Less then min wage. They do count on the tip to make it a decent paid job.
Wouldn't the employer have to technically pay them minimum wage at least if tips weren't coming through?

Old 04-01-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't the employer have to technically pay them minimum wage at least if tips weren't coming through?
They aren't employees. They are 1099 contractors.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
They aren't employees. They are 1099 contractors.
Universally so? I'm just curious as I don't know all of the intricacies.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Universally so? I'm just curious as I don't know all of the intricacies.
Any app you use that delivers yes.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:15 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
Cook at home tip yourself $20. $20 gets you plenty of eggs and spam.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Any app you use that delivers yes.
Gotcha. They are still getting paid by delivery, though, and, thus, for the work they are doing?

Anything extra is, well, extra

Old 04-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Gotcha. They are still getting paid by delivery, though, and, thus, for the work they are doing?

I'm not sure what you are saying. They are not paid a living wage. Its the restaurant industry like wait staff that depend on tips. Re read the whole thread or google. You seem to want to learn and have the time. I have to get out for my walk so I can't be of more help.

Here's a human interest piece.
Interviews with delivery people since the corona virus.
It's way too long to post itall but here's a clip for those who dont like to click on links.

As of now, delivery and takeout are the New York City restaurant industry. Grub Street talked to delivery workers around the city to see what the mood is like among customers and inside the restaurants with which they work — and what it’s actually like to work in the midst of this crisis.

Photo: Scott Heins
Darren, Brooklyn
What is work like right now?
I’m doing UberEats. I’ve been doing that for about three years now. Ever since this virus has been all over the news, I’ve been making less money. Sure, people are staying inside their houses, but I usually deliver to a lot of people who are at work, at clubs, in school.

Ever since de Blasio announced that restaurants are limited to deliveries the business has been picking up super quickly. It just spiked.

What’s the tone like at the restaurants where you pick up deliveries? Are people nervous about working?
I was actually shocked when I saw they closed down the restaurant portion and kept the kitchens open. Managers told me that’s how they’re going to keep busy. Some restaurants are doing okay, but others are totally closed down.

There was this one Italian restaurant that said it’s busy; it’s getting nonstop orders. But at the same time I was making a lot less overall last weekend.

Are you worried about the future?
We have the election coming up soon. It’s tough. We’re in a lot of debt. The markets are going dramatically down. So all right, what if I do make a certain amount of money but the market crashes? That could be devastating.

https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/03/n...portraits.html

Last edited by 90sSitcom; 04-01-2020 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 12:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
I think the old tipping guidelines don’t apply right now. This thread got started last year when there was no coronavirus silently and invisibly stalking the earth and killing people. The delivery guys are still working because they need to pay the rent, but their jobs have become frightening. They have been deemed essential so that they can make deliveries to those of us who are not venturing out.

I think the minimum tip should be $20 now and for the duration of this pandemic, and it should scale upward depending on the nature and size of the delivery. I think the question we all need to ask ourselves is, “Would I do their job even for $20 tips?” I would not because I don’t need to, but they do need to. We should thank them with generous, very generous tips. They are risking their lives for us.
So are the grocery clerks and the stockers. I'm not disagreeing about tipping very well for those that can, but in another thread someone said if we can't afford to then not to use the service and I disagree.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:

Are you talking about not tipping at all? I think that is dreadful unless you are so bad off financially you literally cannot. Can barely scrape up the delivery fee.

Before the pandemic, one of my neighbors drove for various things. Uber, delivery, and he is pretty laid back. He was like AT LEAST $1 for the principle of the thing. As a thank you. I remember that when I take a $6 Uber ride. Which they hate to begin with. It's a short ride not really worth their time, but there is nothing I can do about THAT.

I didn't memorize them, but I looked into instacart and doordash and such, curious what they pay. Some are barely above minimum wage but the kicker is they are using their own gas and wear and tear. So, technically, no we do not HAVE to tip, it's pretty crap not to.

Favor, a local delivery service, mandates $2 on my little orders. Which is 20% but they are after the base $2, not a %. (on food, I haven't tried them for anything else).

I thought this was funny: On Valentines Day Favor tried discounting their fees to get business. But drivers wouldn't go for low wages. So they had to double their delivery fees to entice runners on the road. I was like you were taking that discount out of their pay? Or maybe they just didn't want to leave home for regular pay, but would for extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City