Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 05:23 PM

88,553 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Sorry MQ, we cross posted. Jews can eat pizza as long as there's no meat on it. In fact, it's the staple at most temples. It's cheap and 99% of kids like it.
I do know Jews like that. One of my coworkers who kept kosher at home always went to lunch with us but ordered vegetarian.

But some of the people I worked with are extremely strict. They would only eat pizza that's made with kosher cheese, and they will not eat it in a place that is not certified kosher. They were the ones admonishing my coworker.

Let me give you an example of the level of observance I'm talking about. The CFO was a young woman, the daughter of Israelis who moved to Brooklyn. She wore a shietel worth a couple thousand bucks. One day we went into Manhattan for a meeting, and afterward we went to get lunch. Now I like this vegetarian place called Nish Nush. There are a couple of them. It is Israeli, and there was a certificate on the door from a rabbi, but they were open on Saturdays so she didn't trust it.

She called the number of the rabbi listed on the certificate to see if the place was truly kosher, but he didn't answer, so she hung up and called her husband to ask him if it was OK if she ate there. He told her to use her judgment, but she didn't feel right about it, so we just went back to Boro Park and ate there.

Do you see what I'm saying? These are not people who are eating at Gino's. Except the ones who do it on the sly.

https://www.nishnushnyc.com/menu.html

Old 12-06-2019, 05:35 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times
I only eat kosher sushi. I don’t like weird seafood like eel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Ahisma Garden and Anada are 2 Indian kosher restaurants (have only passed them, never ate there). Sammys Romanian Steakhouse is way above my budget (and I don't eat meat) but it has a very good reputation.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How would they be able to sell supposedly kosher meat though? Didn't they have their certificate posted and showing which Rabbi was supposedly supervising the process to confirm it was kosher or whatever? Not unless they falsified that certification?

https://jewishjournal.com/news/los_angeles/114764/

Old 12-07-2019, 06:12 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Ben's Deli in Bayside

Is that any relationship to Ben's Best, now defunct, on Queens Boulevard in Rego Park?
No there was no connection between them. Ben's Best was an independent kosher deli separate from all the other Ben's Delis in the Greater NYC Area.

Another good kosher restaurant that I just remembered being at a few times (last time was probably about 3 years ago with a visiting Australian friend) is Wolf & Lamb Steakhouse on East 48th Street (between 5th Avenue & Madison).

Old 12-07-2019, 08:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
How do "Kosher restaurants" get around the separate plates issue?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 AM

88,553 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How do "Kosher restaurants" get around the separate plates issue?
Good question, but from the little I've seen, they usually are one or the other--meat OR dairy. They don't serve both in the same restaurant. Fish is parve, so that can be served at either.

The kosher steakhouse at which they held our holiday party had non-dairy ice cream for dessert.

If anyone knows of some that do serve both, I'd also like to know how that works, but I imagine it works the same way it does in a kosher home--separate dishes for each type of food.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:41 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good question, but from the little I've seen, they usually are one or the other--meat OR dairy. They don't serve both in the same restaurant. Fish is parve, so that can be served at either.

The kosher steakhouse at which they held our holiday party had non-dairy ice cream for dessert.

If anyone knows of some that do serve both, I'd also like to know how that works, but I imagine it works the same way it does in a kosher home--separate dishes for each type of food.
You can serve meat and dairy in the same restaurant, just not on the same plate. They can't "touch" each other. It's not that big a deal when you're used to it. I used to have to navigate this when I was managing luncheons for a BOD for a Jewish museum that kept kosher.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:46 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
You can serve meat and dairy in the same restaurant, just not on the same plate. They can't "touch" each other. It's not that big a deal when you're used to it. I used to have to navigate this when I was managing luncheons for a BOD for a Jewish museum that kept kosher.
But I have yet to see both on a kosher menu that I have eaten at, so she makes a good point. I guess it all depends on the establishment. Then again, one place I frequent seems to focus on vegetarian and vegan dishes a lot with some fish dishes thrown in. I can’t think of any meat dishes.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:58 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,165 times
We found a nice little kosher Israeli place on W51st a couple of summers ago. Azuri. A hole in the wall really, an older Israeli gent at the helm, his team served up generous plates and pitas in a pretty quaint setting. There must have been only 4 or 5 tables at most in there. It's no longer open though. I remember the owner telling me he was pretty tired after many years of working ungodly hours, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City