Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 10:47 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times

Advertisements

https://www.westsiderag.com/2019/12/...-a-heavy-heart
Owner cites increased minimum wage as a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 12:49 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
A factor, not the factor. Seems to me, the business probably would have went under ANYway.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:00 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Perfect example was NYC Car Washes and the $15 minimum Pay. Watch this and learn.

https://youtu.be/0fsVI3EmUnQ

White Liberals "HELPING" once again.... Meanwhile they negatively affect minorities... YET AGAIN

Old 12-24-2019, 01:12 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
A factor, not the factor. Seems to me, the business probably would have went under ANYway.

the reality is that even though the minimum wage increased significantly over the past 5 years poverty rates haven't declined that much. Especially when we factor strong job growth.

If someone is making $15/h working 40 hrs weekly their annual should be around $30k, above the Federal poverty rate. So this implies that while folks might be getting the dollars per hour apparently they aren't getting the hours per week.

Many employers complain that they cannot find workers with certain skill and cognitive levels so it seems to me that the best way to reduce poverty is to better match the labor force with the skillsets that employers are willing and able to pay for. I expect bigger employers to invest more in laborsaving devices given that they have the budgets to spend. These machines don't call in sick, or have family emergencies, or pick fights with each other.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
the reality is that even though the minimum wage increased significantly over the past 5 years poverty rates haven't declined that much. Especially when we factor strong job growth.

If someone is making $15/h working 40 hrs weekly their annual should be around $30k, above the Federal poverty rate. So this implies that while folks might be getting the dollars per hour apparently they aren't getting the hours per week.

Many employers complain that they cannot find workers with certain skill and cognitive levels so it seems to me that the best way to reduce poverty is to better match the labor force with the skillsets that employers are willing and able to pay for. I expect bigger employers to invest more in laborsaving devices given that they have the budgets to spend. These machines don't call in sick, or have family emergencies, or pick fights with each other.
30k can get you an apartment in most of the country, but not NYC

Old 12-24-2019, 01:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
30k can get you an apartment in most of the country, but not NYC

And many don't even make $30k as they are poor by Federal standards.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

How much has rent gone up in the past five years? How about food? gas? Why should the minimum wage have no relationship to the cost of living? What defines "strong" job growth? An abundance of crappy wage jobs that pay half ones previous job is not my idea of "strong" growth.

How much can you expect to get from some who you pay below a subsistence level? You want someone sharp, courteous, ambitious but pay them dirt? You get what you pay for.

Employers will invest in labor saving devices if they can, and it is not connected to wages, at least not in America.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:08 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
How much has rent gone up in the past five years? How about food? gas? Why should the minimum wage have no relationship to the cost of living? What defines "strong" job growth? An abundance of crappy wage jobs that pay half ones previous job is not my idea of "strong" growth.

How much can you expect to get from some who you pay below a subsistence level? You want someone sharp, courteous, ambitious but pay them dirt? You get what you pay for.

Employers will invest in labor saving devices if they can, and it is not connected to wages, at least not in America.
because wages have less to do with cost of living but rather what value and skills you bring to the employer.
a minimum wage artificially increases that cost to the business and now many are closing doors because of it.
it has been shown time and time again that min wage hurts more than helps those that need it most. either they get reduced hours or jobs get cut and replaced with automation.
something so simple that even a caveman can comprehend but leftists seem to struggle with.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
because wages have less to do with cost of living but rather what value and skills you bring to the employer.
a minimum wage artificially increases that cost to the business and now many are closing doors because of it.
it has been shown time and time again that min wage hurts more than helps those that need it most. either they get reduced hours or jobs get cut and replaced with automation.
something so simple that even a caveman can comprehend but leftists seem to struggle with.
Many are closing their doors because of factors like rent being too high and poor business models. Shoot, I've spoken to owners of small businesses. Many are high on ambition but have rocks for business savvy. If your business model is so poor that you can't afford to pay a living wage then you're not a good business person. I bolded your copy to say, "WHERE?, WHERE HAS IT BEEN SHOWN?" Studies actually prove the opposite. Improved consumer spending is good for business. Less attrition of employees is good for business. Here is one case study that actually came to fruition. News: Success. https://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-...um-wage-2019-8 The story gets it data from this study. https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a6170f...eid=3c7bd9c10c

But you know, when you use the word leftist what that signifies to me is a) a pre-existing ideology that is impermeable to facts, b) probably a limited education in economics, statistics c) a closed-minded world view d) and finally, the most important thing, a lack of curiosity to put oneself in check about ones world view, to see if reality matches their belief system. That circles back to item c, closed-minded.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:19 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
They should abolish the whole minimum wage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City