Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 11:23 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times

Advertisements

Had a good New Years recovery meal in Fort Lee today.

So my friend told me about this thing today..
Basically drivers entering NY from NJ will pick up passengers at the bus station right before the toll bridge so they can get car pool rate and save $6. They drop you off at the bus hub at the other end of the bridge.

We did it for fun. Seems sketchy but our random driver was cool. He said he saves $150 a month doing this.

You guys know about this and have you done it? Any interesting stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 12:44 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
They have the shuttles that do that, when you walk down the ramp from Lemoine Ave right on top of the I-95

Old 01-02-2020, 02:50 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
I had a job assignment in Weehawken in 1993 for a few months and one day while waiting for the bus back to the Port Authority a car pulled over and asked me if I wanted a ride. I asked why and they said for the carpool rate for the Lincoln Tunnel so I said sure and went with them. It definitely saved me some time.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:47 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
I work in Fort Lee; live in Washington Heights so i do this every time i go to return from work.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:28 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
People have been doing this for years. That's the controversy going on right now--when the tolls go completely cashless, the car-pool discount goes away because there's no way to verify how many passengers are in the car...but WAIT. There are those who claim the technology exists...

Old 01-02-2020, 07:53 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Yep, it’s pretty good. Used to walk to Fort Lee and get a good meal and have a nice ride back.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:53 AM

271 posts, read 567,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
People have been doing this for years. That's the controversy going on right now--when the tolls go completely cashless, the car-pool discount goes away because there's no way to verify how many passengers are in the car...but WAIT. There are those who claim the technology exists...
From the Port Authority...

"We have listened to the many customers who expressed concerns about the removal of the Carpool Discount Plan. That is why we will not be phasing out the Carpool Discount at the Hudson River crossings (Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel and the George Washington Bridge) until each toll plaza implements cashless tolling, rather than on January 5, 2020, as previously announced. Our approach will maintain the carpool toll discount program at each Port Authority toll plaza, until such time as those plazas no longer accept cash payments. It is not operationally feasible to offer a carpool discount without toll booth operators to verify how many occupants are in a car. Throughout the toll industry, no technology has yet to be developed that can accurately and reliably identify vehicle occupants in an automated fashion in a cashless tolling system. The Port Authority remains committed to review the costs and benefits of new technologies as they emerge in the future."

Old 01-02-2020, 09:19 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
From the Port Authority...

"We have listened to the many customers who expressed concerns about the removal of the Carpool Discount Plan. That is why we will not be phasing out the Carpool Discount at the Hudson River crossings (Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel and the George Washington Bridge) until each toll plaza implements cashless tolling, rather than on January 5, 2020, as previously announced. Our approach will maintain the carpool toll discount program at each Port Authority toll plaza, until such time as those plazas no longer accept cash payments. It is not operationally feasible to offer a carpool discount without toll booth operators to verify how many occupants are in a car. Throughout the toll industry, no technology has yet to be developed that can accurately and reliably identify vehicle occupants in an automated fashion in a cashless tolling system. The Port Authority remains committed to review the costs and benefits of new technologies as they emerge in the future."
Good update. There was some discussion a month or so ago about supposed technology being used in another part of the country, but I have no idea how valid it was.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
In Virginia is called slugging where you pick up the extra rider at an area mall and it gives you the number you need to use the HOV lanes. Drivers pick up riders based on where they are heading and many have a regular person they collect each day.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:56 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Had a good New Years recovery meal in Fort Lee today.

So my friend told me about this thing today..
Basically drivers entering NY from NJ will pick up passengers at the bus station right before the toll bridge so they can get car pool rate and save $6. They drop you off at the bus hub at the other end of the bridge.

We did it for fun. Seems sketchy but our random driver was cool. He said he saves $150 a month doing this.

You guys know about this and have you done it? Any interesting stories?
you just learned about this? how many years later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City