Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times

Advertisements

Please just tell your neighbors you need quiet. Get a white noise machine - Bed Bath and Beyond sells them in store or online. Get ear plugs too.

I would not move into a basement apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 07:37 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
A basement apartment is not necessarily quiet. You still have people living directly above you. I know a guy with a basement apartment in Riverdale and the way he describes his apartment, it's like he's living in a war zone. I don't know all the details, but besides noise, he also deals with water damage, etc. The only reason he stays is because it's a paid off coop apt inherited from his grandmother and the maintenance is only around $300 a month, so he's almost living in NYC for free (even so, I wouldn't do it)

I agree with at least trying the white noise and ear plugs combo suggested above. The best white noise machine IMO is the LectroFan for $49 and whatever earplugs make you comfortable - I like the Mack's silicone.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:42 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
$300?! Niceeee

Old 01-08-2020, 07:54 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana2436 View Post
Thanks.

It's subsidized housing. There are not many options where one can move from there. If all else fails, is a basement apartment worth it? I think it should definitely be quiet, but I am concerned about rodents, poor ventilation, and risk of flooding.
No Comments on all of us giving you good options like earplugs, fans, noise makers, etc?

Or you just want to tell your neighbors to be quiet no matter what?

Old 01-09-2020, 04:38 AM

6 posts, read 2,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Get a white noise machine - Bed Bath and Beyond sells them in store or online. Get ear plugs too.
Yeah, I tried earplugs, earmuffs, and a white noise machine. It's low tone music which is more difficult to block.

I was only half-successful in trying to stop neighbors to stop smoking in the hallway (especially weed apparently mixed with something, etc), but I will definitely try with music. Right, I think excessively loud music should be a violation at any time.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:57 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana2436 View Post
Yeah, I tried earplugs, earmuffs, and a white noise machine. It's low tone music which is more difficult to block.

I was only half-successful in trying to stop neighbors to stop smoking in the hallway (especially weed apparently mixed with something, etc), but I will definitely try with music. Right, I think excessively loud music should be a violation at any time.
This is one sh*tty building. The management company is not doing their job.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Man, that sucks, OP. I feel for you. I know you've tried earplugs, but I'll just write that earplugs are not all created equally. You may have to plump down a good amount of dough to get the best deals; make sure you read the customer reviews carefully if you're going this route.

Otherwise, you're always free to ask your neighbors to keep it down some (that's surely your prerogative), but don't take it personally if they disregard your request, especially if they aren't violating any building policy or law.

Me? As someone who has worked nights (and am currently working night shifts until June), I am very mindful of the amount of noise I make at any time of the day. And while my condo in Hawaii is very well insulated (and I can't make a good amount of noise without it penetrating through the walls), my current place now in the DC area is not so well protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: