Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times

Advertisements

I live near LMU in LA and my neighbors are students. The parties are out of control and extremely unnecessarily loud. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do besides calling cops? Cops don't really bother them. They get called for disturbing the peace, the kids turn it down for 10-15 mins and starts again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,402 times
Move.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
^^ What he said. If you live near a college you should understand what the atmosphere is going to be like.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times
I don't expect this to work but talk to the cops about their bad job or talk to a lawyer to talk to them if they don't do anything.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM

We shouldn't have to move out. I'm a senior in high school so I will be in a year, but my parents won't. Now I know you all probably think I'm happy I live next door to party central since I'm in high school, but not when they apparently have no homework and I stay up till about midnight or 1AM doing homework and writing essays. We moved here before the house next door started being rented out to college kids. It was originally one guy with an awesome bulldog, then a quite guy, then an older lady with a really cute dog, and then the landlord started renting out to college kids and it has never been the same.

I don't even live that close to the university. I feel terrible for the people even closer. I live 3 miles away in the most boring part of LA.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
We shouldn't have to move out. I'm a senior in high school so I will be in a year, but my parents won't.
Well that does limit your options.

1)Call cops
2)Vigilante justice
3)Run away from home and join the circus

Are your folks not bothered by this or have they just given up on calling the cops? You should tell your parents about the joys of rental properties, talk them into offering the owner of the problematic house a great deal, kick them all out, and move into your new place.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM

We call the cops so much that they don't even consider responding to the dispatch call anymore. The whole block can hear them and everyone calls the cops, but they do nothing. We have to go over there and yell at them because that is sometimes more useful than the cops.

And no one would want to the buy the house. It's disgusting, this guy will own it until he dies. It is termite infested, smells, is really old, the carpet is disgusting, stairs are breaking. Just a terrible house in general. The students don't care because they just party there everyday, live within a 10 minute walk of the beach, and have 6 people living in a 4 bedroom house so rent is VERY cheap. They just keep ruining it more and more every year. Two years ago I went in there while the next group of kids was moving in to see the damage that the last group had done and they were carrying out fridges full of beer and vodka that the last group just left there. Soda bottles littered the floors. The carpeted stairs were supposed to match the off-white colored carpet of the living room, but were instead an almost brown color. They broke the diving board to the pool, the microwave was broken, the sink was clogged up, the toilets didn't work, the shower had cracks in it, and both the washing machine and clothes dryer were broken. That group was the worst, but this current may beat them. The ones that were cleaning it out after the worst were the best and actually kept it very neat and clean and were very quiet and they forced the landlord to fix everything that was wrong. I'm sure some of that stuff is already ruined again though.

Oh and the really bad group apologized to us one time by bringing us brownies. I can't believe I didn't realize there was prolly weed in them...

Old 10-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh and the really bad group apologized to us one time by bringing us brownies. I can't believe I didn't realize there was prolly weed in them...
More likely laxative. A smart pothead won't waste weed like that.

It does sound like you are screwed unless you want to go with my options 2 and/or 3. Since you live in California there should be a million housing regulations. You should do some research about housing codes and hit up the town's code enforcement department. Then again, you are in LA? They probably have more pressing matters than some college kids.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Move.
That's ridiculous. I live 7 blocks from a university and there's no way in hell I should just "expect" my neighbors to act like idiot banshees just because I live close to a university. If you're not living on campus, act like freaking adults (hell, even act like adults if you live on campus, but that's a little harder to expect).

Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
What more can you do but move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.