Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 12:35 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Isn't a great day for MTA news wise: https://gothamist.com/news/unspecifi...rs-out-service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Opinion:
This cracks me up. New York shops around for a great price on trains. They find a Canadian Manufacturer that gives them a good price.
The Canadian Manufacturer finds a good price on the parts he purchases to make the trains coming right from where else but CHINA !
I leave this up to the public to ponder...............

There is an old saying ....If you want something done you got to do it yourself.
Time to bring manufacturing back home to the United States. America is full of
talent. Government... Federal and Local as well as private industry need to lower
their greed bar and return America back to work producing what is has always
been globally accredited for............Quality......Quality.......Quality. .........

Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 AM

1,568 posts, read 909,830 times
It’s time to bring back the stickers they used to have on the doors back in the 80s:

NO SE APOYA CONTRA LA PUERTA

I don’t recall seeing it in English but it translates to:

DO NOT LEAN AGAINST THE DOOR

Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,130,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
This cracks me up. New York shops around for a great price on trains. They find a Canadian Manufacturer that gives them a good price.
The Canadian Manufacturer finds a good price on the parts he purchases to make the trains coming right from where else but CHINA !
I leave this up to the public to ponder...............

There is an old saying ....If you want something done you got to do it yourself.
Time to bring manufacturing back home to the United States. America is full of
talent. Government... Federal and Local as well as private industry need to lower
their greed bar and return America back to work producing what is has always
been globally accredited for............Quality......Quality.......Quality. .........
The trains were assembled in New York State.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
The trains were assembled in New York State.
Not only assembly, they also do testing and quality control at their Plattsburgh, NY facility as well.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:12 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
It's too bad that there are no USA manufacturers of subway cars, railroad passenger cars and integrated train sets. Pennsylvania used to have 4 big rail car builders: Budd Co., Philadelphia; American Car and Foundry, Berwick; Pressed Steel Car Company, Pittsburgh and Pullman Standard, Butler.

New York State has assembly operations now for foreign rail passenger car makers Bombardier (Canadian) in Plattsburgh, Alstom (French) in Hornell, and CAF (Spanish) in Elmira. Super Steel of Wisconsin used to assemble equipment for Kawasaki and Kinki Sharyo (both Japanese) in Schenectady but Super Steel no longer does that work.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:16 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,222,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It's too bad that there are no USA manufacturers of subway cars, railroad passenger cars and integrated train sets. Pennsylvania used to have 4 big rail car builders: Budd Co., Philadelphia; American Car and Foundry, Berwick; Pressed Steel Car Company, Pittsburgh and Pullman Standard, Butler.

New York State has assembly operations now for foreign rail passenger car makers Bombardier (Canadian) in Plattsburgh, Alstom (French) in Hornell, and CAF (Spanish) in Elmira. Super Steel of Wisconsin used to assemble equipment for Kawasaki and Kinki Sharyo (both Japanese) in Schenectady but Super Steel no longer does that work.

Does or did Kawasaki make some in Yonkers? I thought I saw that on some of the name plates.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
It’s time to bring back the stickers they used to have on the doors back in the 80s:

NO SE APOYA CONTRA LA PUERTA

I don’t recall seeing it in English but it translates to:

DO NOT LEAN AGAINST THE DOOR

Last time one checked those stickers (in English and Spanish" are still on or near subway doors.

That and part of those GD annoying 'Hello"... messages as in: "Hello, it's dangerous and against the rules to hold open or lean against subway doors...."

Old 01-09-2020, 12:41 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Does or did Kawasaki make some in Yonkers? I thought I saw that on some of the name plates.
I think his point was that there are no American companies that make the trains. There are plants here, but the companies are not American.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I think his point was that there are no American companies that make the trains. There are plants here, but the companies are not American.
That is what happens when federal and local governments drove private railroad companies out of existence post WWIi.

That being said GE recently sold their transportation division to Westinghouse Air Brake Technologies.
https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/21/new...tec/index.html

It pretty much is passenger car and locomotive makers that suffered; freight was doing well enough.

North American locomotive and passenger car/freight manufacturers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City