Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Maybe for you. My car is my favorite possession.
Liberating with a place to put it, or if you can't park it a massive burden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Agreed, but for me, having a car is important enough that it factors into where I would choose to live.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-13-2020, 06:31 PM

8,501 posts, read 4,744,511 times
In a big urban area, it sucks. In a suburban scenario like mine, I like having a $2500 kickaround car. No worries about door dings or curb rash or other little crap. If you are out in the country, get the nicest thing you can.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 PM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyKappa View Post
Transportation to NJ is just a matter of skipping a meal, but yeah repairs/insurance/etc. are standard costs of owning a car which I have factored in my mind. I think insurance is based on where the car is not where you live so it's not that high if it's not in Manhattan

That said everyone is scaring me against getting a car so idk, now I'm conflicted between living outside of the city and keeping the car or living in the city without a car. Either way I'll have regrets lol
I would just live nearby, but outside, of the city. Easy enough to go into the city for fun on the weekends (or for work). It depends where your job will be and what your budget is.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 PM

128 posts, read 115,290 times
I pay $40 a month for parking in my complex , I hardly drive my car now lol

Old 01-14-2020, 05:59 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Agreed and it becomes even a worse burden when one goes out of town without one's own personal parking spot.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:41 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,152,710 times
My vehicle 'sanctuary'.
Attached Thumbnails
Any of you own a car?-driveway_1_9-7-16.jpg  

Old 01-14-2020, 06:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
When I lived in Brooklyn the ASP drove me crazy even after it was reduced to 2 days per week in the early 1980s. I eventually lucked out and rented a neighbor's garage. Here on S.I. we have no ASP and I have a driveway anyway.

Awful that your car was broken into so many times. Sad but maybe it's time for those 'No Radio' decals again.

NYC parking regs lookup - https://a841-dotvweb01.nyc.gov/Parki...alidation.aspx

'No radio' is so 80-90's nyc, and now a days it might as well be a 'smash my window please' decal.

They don't steal radios anymore since they are so integrated into the vehicle, there is no value in stealing/selling anymore.

They smash the windows for ghetto fun when I lived in DUMBO. They never stole anything

Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyKappa View Post
Transportation to NJ is just a matter of skipping a meal, but yeah repairs/insurance/etc. are standard costs of owning a car which I have factored in my mind. I think insurance is based on where the car is not where you live so it's not that high if it's not in Manhattan

That said everyone is scaring me against getting a car so idk, now I'm conflicted between living outside of the city and keeping the car or living in the city without a car. Either way I'll have regrets lol
If you already have the costs of the car factored in, then you can add anywhere from $0-600+ for parking. Park in Westchester on a suburban street and take the train to get your car when you want it. Or get a garage in the Bronx for $200/month. Once you've made the decision and the finances work out, it's not a hassle (unless you decide you want to find street parking every night).

If you want to visit anywhere in the USA that's not NYC, you'll need a car. Rental is an option, but personally, I wouldn't want to waste the first few hours of my weekend getting a rental, then worry about returning it on time and all that other stuff.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
The OP is really confusing Manhattan with NYC. It is easy to own a car in NYC. There are many single family houses in the city, where you can have a big garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City