Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
this is pure gold

New York Times restaurant critic Pete Wells admits that the most feedback he gets is from readers complaining about how loud restaurants are. So he decides to address the issue today, but instead of placating his angry readers he twists the knife deeper writing that the sound level is part of the ambiance and doesn't bother him at all, implying that those who complain are old get off my lawn ninnies. HAHA

The comments section then explodes like somebody killed their puppy
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/d...mentsContainer

I have to generally agree with Wells, people who complain about noise are just old. I mean some restaurants just blast the music way too loud but in general it's just part of the scene
I fail to see what's "pure gold" about it.

It's an tactless attitude - and I have to say I've always preferred quiet restaurants, dating back to my teens. Maybe some people go to places where they feel noise makes things "exciting," but I value conversation with my dining companions, and would rather not be shouting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Also, as people age, their hearing changes. One thing that happens is that it's harder, for instance, to follow a conversation that takes place in a noisy environment, something that a younger person may not have a problem with. So I always feel that when loud music is played, and the design of the restaurant consists of high ceilings and hard, modern surfaces, as jean says, above, the proprietor is actively trying to discourage an older crowd.

I always figure, Hey, if they don't want my money, I'll spend it elsewhere!

Another change is that older people tend to lose the ability to hear high-pitched sounds. Malls have learned to use this to their advantage when discouraging teens from hanging out. The mall will play opera or transmit high-pitched sounds, which younger people will find objectionable and older people won't hear at all! I was at Ikea Brooklyn not long ago, and my daughter started grimacing in pain because of something she was hearing! I couldn't hear a thing. I don't know if Ikea was doing it on purpose or not.

That Times critic has some nerve!
I have NEVER heard opera in a mall... not once. Most people don't know what opera is and call anything remotely classical sounding "opera." They even think Bocelli is opera. HA.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Also, as people age, their hearing changes. One thing that happens is that it's harder, for instance, to follow a conversation that takes place in a noisy environment, something that a younger person may not have a problem with. So I always feel that when loud music is played, and the design of the restaurant consists of high ceilings and hard, modern surfaces, as jean says, above, the proprietor is actively trying to discourage an older crowd.

Another change is that older people tend to lose the ability to hear high-pitched sounds. Malls have learned to use this to their advantage when discouraging teens from hanging out. The mall will play opera or transmit high-pitched sounds, which younger people will find objectionable and older people won't hear at all! I was at Ikea Brooklyn not long ago, and my daughter started grimacing in pain because of something she was hearing! I couldn't hear a thing. I don't know if Ikea was doing it on purpose or not.

I find the possibility of opera in a mall unlikely, BUT it reminds me of something clever that was done ages ago, when some convenience store, like a Circle K or 7-11, wanted to get rid of the teenagers hanging out, and started playing something like Lawrence Welk. The teenagers disappeared, but not because of the pitch. They just hated Lawrence Welk.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:58 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's funny, maybe in a dark humor sort of way, that's all

For years his readers have begged him to champion the cause of loud restaurants, and when he finally does he betrays all their hopes and dreams.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I always think of loud restaurants as diners, old style delis, and old style pizzerias. I don't see why the noise level matters much to younger patrons anyway. All they do is sit at the table and send texts and pictures to people who aren't at the table or stare at their phone.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:48 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
I walked out of New York and Company when I had to scream at the top of my lungs to the store clerk asking for a certain size and color. She was standing right next to me! Nevermind the crap music they were playing, I can deal with that. But I can't deal with music at the decibel level of a club when I'm trying to buy a pair of pants. I'm not exaggerating. I wrote a letter to corporate about this because it literally drives shoppers away. Music is supposed to draw people in, but it isn't supposed to be that loud. It's also a style here in the Bronx. I went out to dinner with my friend and again, we had to shout at each other like we were in a bar. I'd like to keep it down enough that two people can actually talk to each other over dinner. But I guess it's ok if you don't need to actually talk.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:06 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:

Are you talking about the one in Brooklyn? Because I notice it has a very high pitched sound by the entrance and it's AWFUL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

It's an tactless attitude - and I have to say I've always preferred quiet restaurants, dating back to my teens. Maybe some people go to places where they feel noise makes things "exciting," but I value conversation with my dining companions, and would rather not be shouting.
Me too. I have always hated loud places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I walked out of New York and Company when I had to scream at the top of my lungs to the store clerk asking for a certain size and color. She was standing right next to me! Nevermind the crap music they were playing, I can deal with that. But I can't deal with music at the decibel level of a club when I'm trying to buy a pair of pants. I'm not exaggerating. I wrote a letter to corporate about this because it literally drives shoppers away. Music is supposed to draw people in, but it isn't supposed to be that loud. It's also a style here in the Bronx. I went out to dinner with my friend and again, we had to shout at each other like we were in a bar. I'd like to keep it down enough that two people can actually talk to each other over dinner. But I guess it's ok if you don't need to actually talk.
I went with my sister to the Queens Mall not too long ago and she wanted to walk in to F21. I turned around and walked right back out because it was so loud I was getting a headache. How people can work in that garbage all day is beyond me. Super loud plus awfully annoying. I want to be relaxed when shopping and eating not stressed out.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:12 AM

16,050 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most NYC trendy food places seem to have high amounts of noise because I think it is generational issue. Younger patrons these days are much louder at restaurants than the old days. If you raise your voice back then, 1/2 the patrons would stare at you.

Excerpt:If you raise your voice back then, 1/2 the patrons would stare at you.
Opinion: In response, they still do.........................

Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 AM

16,050 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Boomers and their parents generations need to realize not everything is about them anymore. Old school white tablecloth places with near crypt silence are dying out with them.

Younger generations have other ideas about what they want when dining out, and since they are making up more and more of demographic places that want business are catering to that crowd.
Opinion: You got that right. These youngsters today steer towards one concept.
Dung hole basement dining with high end prices for an empty plate that they prefer to hang on a wall.
No one wonders why a restaurant charging $20 for a cup of soup is going out of business............

Old 01-23-2020, 06:30 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Restaurant owners do this because it creates a fake "vibe" and makes the person walking in think there is a buzz there. I talked to one owner about this and he admitted they gradually cranked the volume up starting at a certain time of the evening.

Many cities have started movements against this trend and I can think of one European city that has a group supporting quiet city establishments. They publish a list of quiet places, which includes restaurants, shops, etc. People can choose them if they like quieter places, and let the youngsters shout and ruin their ears in their own places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: