Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 05:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,024,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Black people all the time say that they want the policemen, They just dont want them to be rude, abusive, engaging in false arrests, or in extreme instances, kill them.

Nuance is something that some folks just seem capable of. One can support the cops while deploring police abuse.
This is true. But a big portion of people don’t have nuance. The hardcore activists want to essentially get rid of all prisons. This is an influential part of the Democratic base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM

874 posts, read 456,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is true. But a big portion of people don’t have nuance. The hardcore activists want to essentially get rid of all prisons. This is an influential part of the Democratic base.

"hardcore activists want to essentially get rid of all prisons"

you mean...local and federal prisons ? close them down ?

why would people want to do away with prisons ? i don't understand the
reasoning. and....what about people that commit egregious crimes,
where do those hardcore activists want to "house" them at then?
Sleep-away camp? at a hotel? let them go free? people actually
said that? "get rid of all prisons."

i believe it. i read/saw on TV people say: do away with the wall between mex/us.
it's too far-out of an idea to me....

Old 01-27-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
"hardcore activists want to essentially get rid of all prisons"

you mean...local and federal prisons ? close them down ?

why would people want to do away with prisons ? i don't understand the
reasoning. and....what about people that commit egregious crimes,
where do those hardcore activists want to "house" them at then?
Sleep-away camp? at a hotel? let them go free? people actually
said that? "get rid of all prisons."

i believe it. i read/saw on TV people say: do away with the wall between mex/us.
it's too far-out of an idea to me....
Because they want to end mass incarceration. They are serious in closing prisons. Cash bail has been ended in NYC. The prosecution has to turn over the name and contact information of not just witnesses, but police.

A lot is written on why activists want to end mass incarceration. You might read those articles.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,559,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post
Why isn't it on the mainstream networks? ABC, NBC and so on where most people get their news and learn how they should think.
I.
You need to ask the mainstream media why they don't cover the real news within these black communities.

There are many attempts to cooperate with the cops, often rebuffed. There many groups that attempt to reduce violence and gang activity, usually ignored by the mainstream. There are those within the NYPD who prefer to treat some New Yorkers as if they live in Baghdad, demonizing entire communities instead of forming alliances with the law abiding people who wish to lively safely without also having to fear NYPD abuse.

But some folks prefer to not demand that NYPD rids itself of those cops who refuse to respect those who they are paid to serve (yes blacks pay taxes too). They instantly erect a blue wall and demand that all cop abuse can be justified.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
They are a LOUD part of the Democratic base. Yes the AOC types. NOT the majority and we now discover that a silent majority, people who don't spend all day tweeting, and who are too busy to attend protests don't advocate no jails because they fully well know what will happen.

They just don't want their sons to be harassed at night, either by gang bangers OR by NYPD! And I do think that they have a right to demand that civil servants, people whose salaries they pay, treat them with respect.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Because they want to end mass incarceration. They are serious in closing prisons. Cash bail has been ended in NYC. The prosecution has to turn over the name and contact information of not just witnesses, but police.

A lot is written on why activists want to end mass incarceration. You might read those articles.
Even Newt Gingrich wants the end of mass incarceration as jails are expensive to run. Trump is now prancing around the country boasting about this. That bill was approved with minimal opposition.

Cash bail is ending for people arrested for non violent acts, and of course people are innocent until proven guilty. Once the noisy AOC section with their tweeting (the same one's who Eric told to fit in, or leave) become silent when they get mugged then the law will be applied as it is supposed to be. Violent people will not be bailed out.

Cuomo is already leading the pack to properly apply the law. DeBozo will soon shut up once he learns that Brooklyn will not want his wife to be BP if he advocates that NYC be turned into a huge cell for the inmates.

Btw you used to be one of those SJWs who would have screamed that jails are bad and spending $$ on programs is all that is needed. Your former friends must be angry with you.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Even Newt Gingrich wants the end of mass incarceration as jails are expensive to run. Trump is now prancing around the country boasting about this. That bill was approved with minimal opposition.

Cash bail is ending for people arrested for non violent acts, and of course people are innocent until proven guilty. Once the noisy AOC section with their tweeting (the same one's who Eric told to fit in, or leave) become silent when they get mugged then the law will be applied as it is supposed to be. Violent people will not be bailed out.

Cuomo is already leading the pack to properly apply the law. DeBozo will soon shut up once he learns that Brooklyn will not want his wife to be BP if he advocates that NYC be turned into a huge cell for the inmates.

Btw you used to be one of those SJWs who would have screamed that jails are bad and spending $$ on programs is all that is needed. Your former friends must be angry with you.
Oh, I still want all drugs to be legalized, prostitution to be legalized, etc.

I did not change.

I acknowledge public safety concerns, yes.

I also acknowledge I had good fortune. The average Black person from NYC is not going to be able to get into the universities I graduated from. Nor can the average Black New Yorker get an European citizenship like I did.

I’m also aware that in general the police cannot distinguish between a law abiding Black person and a thug. So I totally support the movement to end mass incarceration.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
They are a LOUD part of the Democratic base. Yes the AOC types. NOT the majority and we now discover that a silent majority, people who don't spend all day tweeting, and who are too busy to attend protests don't advocate no jails because they fully well know what will happen.

They just don't want their sons to be harassed at night, either by gang bangers OR by NYPD! And I do think that they have a right to demand that civil servants, people whose salaries they pay, treat them with respect.
The NYPD will not grant them that middle ground. They’ve had decades to do so.

So basically ending cash bail, along with the requirement for the prosecution to give the addresses of both police and witnesses to the defense has legalized all drugs and prostitution as who will want to testify.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
You need to ask the mainstream media why they don't cover the real news within these black communities.

There are many attempts to cooperate with the cops, often rebuffed. There many groups that attempt to reduce violence and gang activity, usually ignored by the mainstream. There are those within the NYPD who prefer to treat some New Yorkers as if they live in Baghdad, demonizing entire communities instead of forming alliances with the law abiding people who wish to lively safely without also having to fear NYPD abuse.

But some folks prefer to not demand that NYPD rids itself of those cops who refuse to respect those who they are paid to serve (yes blacks pay taxes too). They instantly erect a blue wall and demand that all cop abuse can be justified.
For some rather obvious reasons why on earth do you think the NYPD has any interest in working with Black community groups? From the top of the city people like Giuliani and Bloomberg quite clearly did not give a crap and that’s an understatement.

Frankly they would have rather all Black people left the city. The irony is while middle class people left, the underclass stayed. Epic fail. Now they have to deal with them abs reintegrate them into society. The 337,000 a year it costs to incarcerate an inmate is just way too expensive.

For that type of money schools could hire social workers and psychologists to help teachers deal with problems kids before they become career criminals.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:05 PM

286 posts, read 212,235 times
Quote:

I don't need to ask the mainstream media. You need to ask.
They misrepresent your community as you claim so it is your job to ask them why they make people think that majority of blacks are anti police and justify criminal behaviour. Because this is all the talk about how police is bad and never about how criminals are bad. And someone might think that since this is the only thing they hear from black politicians- that is the thinking of a majority of the community they represent.
If you remember, this discussion started when a poster complained that people have wrong opinion about majority of blacks. That is the reason. Your politicians you elect don't represent the majority but the majority seems not to care. Then don't complain that people have a wrong opinion about your community because your politicians represent only the BLM types and not the majority.

And when a progressive democratic media (and the party) lies about some big group of people, maybe that group of people should demand the truth or maybe not vote for that party? Maybe that will change the perception? So again, I don't have to ask any questions. You do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City