Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 05:48 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I don't see how it's ok to force customers to pay a certain way … even cash only. Cash only places are a bit better in that anyone can have cash … credit cards not everyone has, either they're too young or they have bad credit … it alienates a lot of potential customers.

It's not fair to deny someone service IMO just b/c they can't pay how you want them to.
One thing I noticed about most of the cashless businesses here is that they tend to cater to a more upscale crowd who's guaranteed to have some kind of plastic to pay with. You'll never see a corner bodega or nail salon go this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 AM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
This. I rarely carry cash, and use Apple Pay/credit cards to pay for everything (why not when they literally pay you to use them with rewards).

That being said, cash is legal tender and businesses should have to take it as such.

For the love of God, that is *NOT* what "legal tender" means.

"Cash is a legal tender for all public and private debts. The law does not say you can’t restrict customers from paying with cash. According to the federal government, you are not required to accept cash payments."

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog...h-is-it-legal/

All USC/federal government means by "legal tender" is that USD is currency of land and has same value in Maine as it does in California.

How those dollars are "paid" is another matter. Long as transaction (checks, credit cards, debit cards, charge cards, money orders, wire transfer, etc..) are done in USD that is sufficient and must be accepted. You cannot pay some one or a business in USA with Euros, nor can they be forced to accept.

For the record pennies, dimes, and nickles are "legal tender" but not everyone (including government agencies) are thrilled nor even in some cases will accept.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/06...2221496853466/

Old 01-29-2020, 08:36 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,005,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
One thing I noticed about most of the cashless businesses here is that they tend to cater to a more upscale crowd who's guaranteed to have some kind of plastic to pay with. You'll never see a corner bodega or nail salon go this route.
Amazing that businesses know who their clientele! If 99% of people are using card, it doesn't make sense to accept cash as there is a lot of overhead.

If 99% of people are using cash, the business would be gone if they only took card. They may not take card in order to save on that overhead.

Why does the government need to decide for businesses?

Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For the love of God, that is *NOT* what "legal tender" means.

"Cash is a legal tender for all public and private debts. The law does not say you can’t restrict customers from paying with cash. According to the federal government, you are not required to accept cash payments."

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog...h-is-it-legal/

All USC/federal government means by "legal tender" is that USD is currency of land and has same value in Maine as it does in California.

How those dollars are "paid" is another matter. Long as transaction (checks, credit cards, debit cards, charge cards, money orders, wire transfer, etc..) are done in USD that is sufficient and must be accepted. You cannot pay some one or a business in USA with Euros, nor can they be forced to accept.

For the record pennies, dimes, and nickles are "legal tender" but not everyone (including government agencies) are thrilled nor even in some cases will accept.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/06...2221496853466/

And here I was all the time thinking that the use of legal "tender" meant I was to get a "sweet" deal.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:07 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I use cash unless it's impossible. The only time my money has been compromised is through cards.

I like cards but I have been compromised several times through credit card fraud.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:12 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
$10? Around my way the minimum is $5 for debit card, $10 for credit card in those types of stores. But who nowadays is using a credit card to go shop at a dollar store? Think.

ME!
I never spend less than $15 at Dollar Tree.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:45 AM

2,449 posts, read 1,225,290 times
Good to see all these people staying it should be up to the business to decide. Where were all of you during the smoking ban debate?

Eventually comrade, the party will decide what businesses you can patronize.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
ME!
I never spend less than $15 at Dollar Tree.
That's different, you're grocery shopping

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2020, 11:29 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,501,899 times
I've had cards compromised, but it's never cost me anything. I see this as a major advantage of credit (not debit) cards. Lose cash, you're out the cash, lose a credit card, they send you a new one. Have cash stolen (either physically or by fraud), you're out the cash. Some uses your CC fraudulently the CC company/bank eats it. If the card gets stolen, see above for lost card. So from a safety standpoint, I prefer CCs to cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I like cards but I have been compromised several times through credit card fraud.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:07 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Good to see all these people staying it should be up to the business to decide. Where were all of you during the smoking ban debate?

Eventually comrade, the party will decide what businesses you can patronize.

What? Are you advocating a return to smoking in bars and restaurants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: