Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 15,127 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to buy. We were pretty set on Downtown Brooklyn, but turns out we can't afford it (based on our criteria and current availability, ha!).
So our broker showed us places in Park Slope (among other things) instead.
We currently have an offer out on a PS apartment in a newly built place on 4th Ave and 16th St.
But, we decided we wanted to check out Astoria and fell in love with the place. In such a manner that it's actually quite hard to explain, which makes us wonder if maybe we're leaving something good for a feeling. We're going to open houses for the area around Astoria Station / 30th Ave stations. We actually saw a place that we loved but we're trying to see everything there is to see in terms of availabilities in our price range.

I work in midtown which sucks as a commute from PS and is a breeze from Astoria, but again the building we have an offer in is a building we basically would never have to leave, plus skyline views etc. We generally like city feelings and less of a suburban atmosphere if that makes a difference. We're both in our early 30s. Will probably sell before the potential kid is old enough to go to school so that's not a very important concern.

Anyway:
Which one do you like best? And what criteria are you looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 06:27 PM

450 posts, read 475,066 times
Buying with someone who you aren't married to is a terrible financial decision. PS for me all the way, but you answered your own question.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:29 PM

565 posts, read 362,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinutzyc21 View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to buy. We were pretty set on Downtown Brooklyn, but turns out we can't afford it (based on our criteria and current availability, ha!).
So our broker showed us places in Park Slope (among other things) instead.
We currently have an offer out on a PS apartment in a newly built place on 4th Ave and 16th St.
But, we decided we wanted to check out Astoria and fell in love with the place. In such a manner that it's actually quite hard to explain, which makes us wonder if maybe we're leaving something good for a feeling. We're going to open houses for the area around Astoria Station / 30th Ave stations. We actually saw a place that we loved but we're trying to see everything there is to see in terms of availabilities in our price range.

I work in midtown which sucks as a commute from PS and is a breeze from Astoria, but again the building we have an offer in is a building we basically would never have to leave, plus skyline views etc. We generally like city feelings and less of a suburban atmosphere if that makes a difference. We're both in our early 30s. Will probably sell before the potential kid is old enough to go to school so that's not a very important concern.

Anyway:
Which one do you like best? And what criteria are you looking at?
I love how these out of towners, transients and poser NYers love moving to places like Queens yet can't wait to leave the minute they are having kids. Why? White LIBERAL RACISTS.

As a life long ETHNIC white Queens native, it's such a shame what's happened to once working class authentic places like Astoria.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:04 PM

325 posts, read 199,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
I love how these out of towners, transients and poser NYers love moving to places like Queens yet can't wait to leave the minute they are having kids. Why? White LIBERAL RACISTS.

As a life long ETHNIC white Queens native, it's such a shame what's happened to once working class authentic places like Astoria.
Lmfao sound like your racist too , queens is the most diverse places in the world and Astoria specifically itself isn’t white by a long shot but you know that which is why u said it’s such a shame what happened to it smh at you

Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Opinion:
New York is the #8 most segregated city in the country. It has neighborhoods peppered all
over the city that are segregated by culture race and religion. It also has neighborhoods that
are very diverse but far and few between in comparison to most neighborhoods.
Your money...Your choice......Best wishes.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:53 PM

432 posts, read 552,203 times
Quote:

I don’t think that wanting good schools for your kids makes you a racist. It makes you a good parent. NYC schools as a whole are very poor, with few exceptions.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:05 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
I like Park Slope more than Astoria, it looks prettier by a mile. However, I also prefer short commute.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:19 AM

565 posts, read 362,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Lmfao sound like your racist too , queens is the most diverse places in the world and Astoria specifically itself isn’t white by a long shot but you know that which is why u said it’s such a shame what happened to it smh at you
Yea. It's a shame that working class people were forced to leave places like Astoria. Now that is racist? You're the racist. You racist.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:25 AM

87 posts, read 119,931 times
Quote:

Perhaps the reason they would leave before having kids is that the apartment they're buying is small... For the record (and being a Queens native who grew up close to Astoria), I'd go with Park Slope. It's by far, aesthetically better.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:33 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,802 times
Astoria!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: