Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 04:00 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Stop whining. Americans waste too much of everything. Outside of the US, cities charged for paper bags many years before we started here in the US. When I lived in Europe, you paid for any plastic bag, and they were tiny too, ao people brought their own reusable bags. This has been a big plus to cut back on the plastic pollution everywhere. If the City wasn't broke, I'm certain that the streets would be a lot cleaner.
I still have them packed in a bag and then I put it in my reusable bag so really it's not saving any bags on my end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 04:04 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I still have them packed in a bag and then I put it in my reusable bag so really it's not saving any bags on my end.
I have not paid for any bags since this started since I gave up using plastic bags voluntarily years ago. I used to only buy them for recycling, but I stopped that as well. I just put my recyclables in the plastic containers and the super bags them up. I clean them out (milk cartons, etc. let them dry and then put them out). For garbage, I reuse my paper Whole Foods bags. I have a reusable heavy duty bag I bring to the market, and if I don't want anything smashed or something that is wet like raspberries, I ask for a double paper bag, but only have a few of those on hand (literally). Very liberating to reduce my carbon footprint of plastic AND paper.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:36 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,292 times
Honestly, I really could care less about my carbon foot print. I do enough. I recylce platsic, cardboard, and metal. I dispose of E-waste properly. I used energy efficent light blubs, and appliances. I turn off lights when i'm not in the room. I don't run the water when I brush my teeth etc....I do all that, yet the second I start one of my Caterpillar 3126 diesel engines, or start my 1988 Corvette, none of which has any type of emmisons I smile to myself knowing as much as I tried to do my part it went straight to hell the moment those motors are running.I just know some tree hugging soy eating liberal is crying as they read this, and I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:01 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
I have not paid for any bags since this started since I gave up using plastic bags voluntarily years ago. I used to only buy them for recycling, but I stopped that as well. I just put my recyclables in the plastic containers and the super bags them up. I clean them out (milk cartons, etc. let them dry and then put them out). For garbage, I reuse my paper Whole Foods bags. I have a reusable heavy duty bag I bring to the market, and if I don't want anything smashed or something that is wet like raspberries, I ask for a double paper bag, but only have a few of those on hand (literally). Very liberating to reduce my carbon footprint of plastic AND paper.
You are definitely doing your part! In my building one needs plastic bags for non-recyclable trash as one is supposed to throw it down the garbage chute (I assume led to an incinerater years ago) which goes down to the building's basement (where the porter handles it) in a closed bag (as I tie the handles of the plastic shopping bag together). I have never purchased trash bags (in NYC) as I have always reused those plastic shopping bags for this purpose.

BTW, last week I went to CVS to buy a 12 rolls of toilet paper package on sale and I was told I could take the larger plastic bag (as wouldn't fit in either of the 2 recycable bags I brought with me) for free to carry it.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:22 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Honestly, I really could care less about my carbon foot print. I do enough. I recylce platsic, cardboard, and metal. I dispose of E-waste properly. I used energy efficent light blubs, and appliances. I turn off lights when i'm not in the room. I don't run the water when I brush my teeth etc....I do all that, yet the second I start one of my Caterpillar 3126 diesel engines, or start my 1988 Corvette, none of which has any type of emmisons I smile to myself knowing as much as I tried to do my part it went straight to hell the moment those motors are running.I just know some tree hugging soy eating liberal is crying as they read this, and I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
couldn't care less*

Old 10-15-2020, 09:58 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You are definitely doing your part! In my building one needs plastic bags for non-recyclable trash as one is supposed to throw it down the garbage chute (I assume led to an incinerater years ago) which goes down to the building's basement (where the porter handles it) in a closed bag (as I tie the handles of the plastic shopping bag together). I have never purchased trash bags (in NYC) as I have always reused those plastic shopping bags for this purpose.

BTW, last week I went to CVS to buy a 12 rolls of toilet paper package on sale and I was told I could take the larger plastic bag (as wouldn't fit in either of the 2 recycable bags I brought with me) for free to carry it.
If I go to CVS for organic milk or something as I did last night, I have my duffle bag with me to carry it in. That bag is also big enough to carry the big 48 pack of toilet paper that they have, which is great. Most of them don't have even the paper bags available. You have to ask for them.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:37 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
If I go to CVS for organic milk or something as I did last night, I have my duffle bag with me to carry it in. That bag is also big enough to carry the big 48 pack of toilet paper that they have, which is great. Most of them don't have even the paper bags available. You have to ask for them.
CVS near me has had large plastic bags for 12 rolls of toilet paper most of the time. I do carry reusable bags to buy smaller items at CVS.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:56 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Several months into this, how wild have things gotten?

Old 03-26-2021, 04:14 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Some supermarkets are back to using plastic bags after trying to charge customers for a paper bag with no takers. It got to be too unmanageable when cashiers were faster swiping items than customers were placing them into their respective bags resulting in all the items winding up getting mixed up with others. Also, there were questions regarding who genuinely paid when customers walked out carrying the items loose in their hands. I think some managers were like screw it & cashiers are back to scooping the paid items into a plastic bag and handing them to customers.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:54 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Some supermarkets are back to using plastic bags after trying to charge customers for a paper bag with no takers. It got to be too unmanageable when cashiers were faster swiping items than customers were placing them into their respective bags resulting in all the items winding up getting mixed up with others. Also, there were questions regarding who genuinely paid when customers walked out carrying the items loose in their hands. I think some managers were like screw it & cashiers are back to scooping the paid items into a plastic bag and handing them to customers.
It's more so because the city stopped enforcing this IMO (amid all the Covid hysteria)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City