Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 06:27 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,371,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

This better be worth it (saving the environment, etc).
Sometimes reusable bags aren't even that great for the environment.
https://phys.org/news/2018-08-reuse-bags.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...o-tote/498557/

Hope you guys didn't buy any cotton bags.

Honestly, I don't mind that much. If I go on my shopping trips, I usually have my reusable bags already in the car and some in the house. Sometimes though I stop at a store unexpectedly (walking around) and then I wouldn't have the bag---not all shopping trips are planned in advance.

The only thing I do not like putting into reusable bags would be meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 07:16 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,917,234 times
Trader Joes became just paper awhile ago... Im against charging per bag... It does slow up the checkout process cause of seniors and people who cant count

Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 AM

19,076 posts, read 14,017,666 times
I don’t care about the environmental impact of the bags I bought. I’d rather pay a private company that the city hates (Amazon) than give up even $.30 a shopping trip.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,725,445 times
It is just an inconvenience and a 'feel good' legislation, but it does absolutely nothing about the environment. Most plastic bags (like 99%) in the oceans are not coming from the US. There are places in India, Bangladesh, and sub-Saharan Africa that literally have rivers of plastic flowing into the ocean.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:42 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,159,878 times
Just one more to antagonize New Yorkers. So now we are supposed to carry around plastic bag like obedient little children.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:02 PM

15,880 posts, read 14,520,852 times
I wonder how much $hit people will be willing to put up with until they rebel. I wish the state Republicans would get their act together and challenge the status quo.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:16 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,725,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I wonder how much $hit people will be willing to put up with until they rebel. I wish the state Republicans would get their act together and challenge the status quo.
Considering NYS is losing people at a record rate, most people are voting with their feet.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:36 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,246,192 times
There will be paper bags at Trader Joe’s at $.05 each. I assume other stores will have paper bags for a fee.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:23 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Geez, you people are young. There were no plastic bags at grocery stores until the 1980s. Hell, there weren't any plastic garbage bags, either. You put the garbage into the brown paper bags you got at the grocery store and when the bag was full, you put it into your galvanized metal garbage can. Just forty years ago, folks.

Now we know there are mile-square rafts of plastic shyt floating in the oceans. We see bags waving from trees everywhere. We see these sad stories of animals choked or suffocated by plastic in the woods and water. Oopsie.

The whole plastic thing isn't a good idea except if you own stock in a chemical company that makes plastic bags.

Yeah, I get the whole kitty litter thing. My cat moved to Canada last year, and you take your own bags to the store, buy bags there for 5 or 10 cents, or take a cardboard box from the front of the store, so I hoard my bags in Jersey to take up there for the litter.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:11 PM

15,880 posts, read 14,520,852 times
I remember the paper bag days. They were only marginally usefully and highly annoying. Plastic was a HUGE improvement.

The chemical companies need to figure out how to keep the useful and cheap, but them break down fairly quickly into something innocuous if they're exposed to the elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Geez, you people are young. There were no plastic bags at grocery stores until the 1980s. Hell, there weren't any plastic garbage bags, either. You put the garbage into the brown paper bags you got at the grocery store and when the bag was full, you put it into your galvanized metal garbage can. Just forty years ago, folks.

Now we know there are mile-square rafts of plastic shyt floating in the oceans. We see bags waving from trees everywhere. We see these sad stories of animals choked or suffocated by plastic in the woods and water. Oopsie.

The whole plastic thing isn't a good idea except if you own stock in a chemical company that makes plastic bags.

Yeah, I get the whole kitty litter thing. My cat moved to Canada last year, and you take your own bags to the store, buy bags there for 5 or 10 cents, or take a cardboard box from the front of the store, so I hoard my bags in Jersey to take up there for the litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City