Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 05:31 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Having a visa has no bearing on your long term legal immigration status. A person can enter 'legally' obtain a NY state driver's license and apply for a trusted traveler program within their first year of being in the u.s.. If approved their trusted traveler status is now valid for a few years. But has since became illegal as they stayed longer than their initially granted period of admission.

No longer matters as they are already approved and enrolled and NYC will not share any information about subsequent arrests or criminal activities.

Having been previously issued a visa and entering a visa doesn't mean someone is legally entitled to be in the U.S or automatically 'legally living in the U.S' after entry.
And then there's that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 11:55 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
There are no felonies linked solely to DMV data, not even in NYS. At a minimum, NYS has to report a felony conviction to the NICS (which operates the criminal database gun dealers must check before approving a firearms purchase).

Old 02-10-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
There are no felonies linked solely to DMV data, not even in NYS. At a minimum, NYS has to report a felony conviction to the NICS (which operates the criminal database gun dealers must check before approving a firearms purchase).
From my research (and I provided a supporting source some posts ago), yes there are. If this was not the case, it would be odd for NYS to prevent the feds from accessing DMV data without a judicial warrant if they could get that information otherwise. And, no, NYS does not have to do anything. The 10th Amendment makes all of that voluntary. And for certain things, NYS has decided to not cooperate with the feds as a means of protecting illegal aliens.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
From my research (and I provided a supporting source some posts ago), yes there are. If this was not the case, it would be odd for NYS to prevent the feds from accessing DMV data without a judicial warrant if they could get that information otherwise. And, no, NYS does not have to do anything. The 10th Amendment makes all of that voluntary. And for certain things, NYS has decided to not cooperate with the feds as a means of protecting illegal aliens.
Could you re-link where it says that certain felonies are solely registered in the DMV data and nowhere else (no other databases elsewhere? That doesn't seem believable and I browsed through your prior posts and couldn't find that link.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Could you re-link where it says that certain felonies are solely registered in the DMV data and nowhere else (no other databases elsewhere? That doesn't seem believable and I browsed through your prior posts and couldn't find that link.
I supplied the following link from a check driving records report service in post number 111:

https://crimcheck.net/services/driving-records/

From the website:

Quote:
In some states, criminal convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs are not on criminal records and can only be revealed through a motor vehicle record or DMV check.
It seems plenty believable to me.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:33 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
This thread seems to get gaining allot of momentum so now im a bit curious.

How many people participating in this thread have gone through the difficult process to obtain Global Entry?
How many have valid passports?
How many travel internationally and when was the last international flight??

Reading back it seems only about a few of us in this thread have Global Entry and know the hassle of obtaining it or understands the headache when landing at JFK and being stuck behind tons of people that cant seem to understand how to work the machine. Simple process, scan the passport, select no to everything, and let it take a photo, grab the ticket and proceed to the customs officer and give them the ticket and passport.

Global Entry makes avoiding that headache such a breeze. Its the equivalent of jumping on the highway with eZpass to avoid those that want to go to the cash only toll and never have the right change.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

How many people participating in this thread have gone through the difficult process to obtain Global Entry?

Reading back it seems only about a few of us in this thread have Global Entry and know the hassle of obtaining it or understands the headache when landing at JFK and being stuck behind tons of people that cant seem to understand how to work the machine. Simple process, scan the passport, select no to everything, and let it take a photo, grab the ticket and proceed to the customs officer and give them the ticket and passport.

Global Entry makes avoiding that headache such a breeze. Its the equivalent of jumping on the highway with eZpass to avoid those that want to go to the cash only toll and never have the right change.
Yes I have Global Entry
I have a valid passport
I traveled internationally in August and will again in March. Generally lately my int'l trips have been once per year at most but I still thought it worthwhile to get Global Entry.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I supplied the following link from a check driving records report service in post number 111:

https://crimcheck.net/services/driving-records/

From the website:

It seems plenty believable to me.
In some states... what about NY?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
NCIC and other criminal database information are entered by humans. Some of it is often incomplete. As in full charges and court disposition in cases are missing. So one is unable to tell what was the outcome of a criminal arrest and charge by looking at the info from the database. Agencies then have to reach out to the originating agency that inputted the info for additional information.

Sanctuary policies that protects criminal aliens jeopardizes this relationship. Look no further than the fact that federal agencies' detainers are denied over 90% of the time when a criminal comes into contact with NYPD, sometimes for pretty serious offenses. A detainer is simply hello, let us know 24 hrs before you release this person as they maybe deportable or have other outstanding criminal issues so we can do our research and pick them up if needed.

With the bail reform some simply skip town after being bailed.

If they won't even entertain detainers, do you think they will go out of their way to provide criminal history information for verification of trusted travelers enrollment after the fact? Especially when explicitly told not to by political figures and their bosses?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:27 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

I have Global entry and TSA pre check. I am on my 5 th passport. I travel 3 to 5 times a year now. In prior years way more often. I am roaming around Europe as we speak. Usually do so once or twice a year.

Not having a passport or being enrolled in Global entry doesn't preclude a citizen and resident of a state from having an opinion on the misguided decisions of their elected officials.

It was not difficult to get Global entry. Provided my personal and professional info and past addresses. I have only had 2 speeding tickets (obtained a third since) so my background is very uncomplicated.

I always offer to assist when I see people in the global entry line struggling ahead of me. They are 100% appreciative. It speeds up the process for both of us. I don't do it in a your an idiot this is how it's done way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City