Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times

Advertisements

I agree with this decision. If it has not been lifted after my global entry expires I will use the Mobile passport app. #StillNotStandingOnThatLongLine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 08:33 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
If I owned a business in another state, I would not accept a piece of state issued ID from NY or CA as valid ID unless it were supported by something else.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sf5IwmjYg4B9Zg

New York Sues Trump Administration for Blocking It From Global Entry

Old 02-11-2020, 04:26 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Let us see how far NYC is willing to pander to illegals and criminals before the actual voters say enough.
Opinion: 3 to 4 election cycles............................

Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
If I owned a business in another state, I would not accept a piece of state issued ID from NY or CA as valid ID unless it were supported by something else.
Perfectly reasonable. Only a Real ID driver's license is a true identifying document confirming citizenship or legal residency; other types of licenses merely indicate that the possessor has passed the tests to drive on a public roadway.

Driver's licenses were never originally intended to be ID documents. They just morphed into that role over the years. That's part of the problem.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
What added travel security? You need to possess a US passport to apply for Global Entry - and possession of a driver's license is NOT required. This is a political game being played between the Federal Government and the State of New York at the expense of ordinary NYS citizens like the OP.

(Preventing NYS citizens who are already in possession of Global Entry from renewing is doubly ridiculous. In their case, the government already has all the information they need to verify the person's identity; they only need to recheck their criminal record to make sure everything is still OK - and criminal records aren't controlled by the state Department of Motor Vehicles.)
DMV has your vehicle registration, and up-to-date residential/mailing address.

When CBP vets a GE applicant, they run your addresses and vehicles registered to you through DHS systems to see if your veh/address matches to a smuggler, or felon, or anyone on CBP's "black list". CBP can deny your GE if you, let's say, reside in a same residence belongs to a smuggler.

source: I work for CBP

Old 02-11-2020, 01:21 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This thread seems to get gaining allot of momentum so now im a bit curious.

How many people participating in this thread have gone through the difficult process to obtain Global Entry?
How many have valid passports?
How many travel internationally and when was the last international flight??

Reading back it seems only about a few of us in this thread have Global Entry and know the hassle of obtaining it or understands the headache when landing at JFK and being stuck behind tons of people that cant seem to understand how to work the machine. Simple process, scan the passport, select no to everything, and let it take a photo, grab the ticket and proceed to the customs officer and give them the ticket and passport.

Global Entry makes avoiding that headache such a breeze. Its the equivalent of jumping on the highway with eZpass to avoid those that want to go to the cash only toll and never have the right change.
Of course me. Yes on the first 3 questions, my last international flight for work to Ireland was November, prior to that was September to Osaka to show my gf Japan and well, it was my birthday. I have another trip to Tokyo coming in April + May (gf's birthday, funny how that worked out!) and won't be surprised if I have to go to the UK for work sometime in the summer or fall.

I'm on boat with about everything that @LOVEROFNYC said except I have 0 speeding tickets on my record. Squeaky clean. I was getting terrible road rage in my last few years of driving, so I'm more than happy that I quit else that record would have been tarnished terribly!

I keep my license up to date as once a year I generally need to drive in Chicago. Last year though, I don't know. It took 3 hours to drive what was 45 mins when I grew up there. I can't be behind the wheel, I get so stressed

Old 02-11-2020, 01:51 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Global Entry is necessary. I don't want to have to stand in line for 1 hour as a U.S. citizen automatically under the suspicion of guilt for attempting to smuggle significant quantities of untaxed goods back home. After a 21 hour total flight from the far East. I really hope this gets resolved by 2023.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:06 PM

874 posts, read 454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

Wow.

I travel out of the US a lot, or at least enough to warrant this given I get it for free from a credit card.

The biggest grievance was last landing at JFK in November and while I went through customs in about 5-10 min, my girlfriend took 2 hours.

It's a compounding pain when you have just gotten off of a 14 hour flight and you have at least another hour before you can rest your head down on your bed.

At least when we travel domestically, she gets my TSA Pre, but my card expires soon and it looks like I can't get her in nor renew myself.

I don't want to sit in another 3 hour security line with no AC at ORD.

Quote:
Trusted traveler programs

Transportation Security Administration’s PreCheck program"

People have ruined the fun of flying for the good people of earth……made it more difficult and anxiety-filled
[even more so than the average 'fear-of-flying-folk' or being stuck in the middle seat dilemma].
That was it – no other real fears or inconveniences like now.

good bye 1903- September 10, 2001.

Why do people . . .

bend over backwards for. . .
. . . illegal immigrants ?

(. . .these guys are basically walking across the border/ocean. . .).

It's not just illegal immigrants south of the border --- the Dept. of Immigration & UNnaturalization lets into this country + "the state of nyawk/sanctuary city"
the worlds worse [worst?) from the 4-corners: foreign two-faced, miserable, mooching, disgusting, ungrateful complainers…. scammers, criminals, and haters who –-
given the privilege to set foot on American soil -- DO NOT belong here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City