Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 12:36 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,111,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
I took a pic of the meter. I watched a few "how to read your Coned meter" videos online and the numbers seem off. Is there anyone who knows how to read this meter? The Con Ed bill says actual reading is 32831 but i see 32857.
I read 31846. The second dial hasn’t quite reached “2”. That is a very strange meter with five dials as my 40+ year old meter has four dials and Con Ed’s instructions show four dials too. How old is that meter?

https://www.coned.com/en/accounts-bi...ead-your-meter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 12:40 PM

111 posts, read 91,591 times
i live in a pre war rental building so it is not in my hands to give them access. There are 25 apartments in the bldg and a live in super and it is the first time this is happening since i moved there in 2004. I actually am not used to A/C and cannot sleep with it so i only use it if there is a heat wave or something and with that it never came close to $100, most $80 in the 20 yrs i lived there during the summer.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times
Are your neighbors having the same issue? Can you ask around?

Old 02-18-2020, 04:10 PM

31,995 posts, read 27,162,995 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone, I just received an adjusted bill for $246 from Con Ed for the first time. They are saying that they were not able to access the meter for 6 months and now they are billing me for the difference on actual usage. They have been sending me estimated bills which in my opinion were already high for someone living by herself with minimal electricity usage. For example, last September I was out of the country for the whole month and they sent me a $65 bill which I thought was high because i wasn't even there. The most I paid all these years was $70-80 in August because of A/C but usually 45-60 per month Max and I have been paying that in estimated bills. Did anyone have this problem with Con Ed? I know the rates went up but If you divide $246 / 6 thats almost $40 on top of another $45-65 i have been paying for the past 6 months on "estimates" which would make it $85-105 per month. I understand the rate went up, but in my case thats almost %50 more than what i have been paying on a monthly basis. I took a pic of the meter. I watched a few "how to read your Coned meter" videos online and the numbers seem off. Is there anyone who knows how to read this meter? The Con Ed bill says actual reading is 32831 but i see 32857.
You can reach out to ConEd who will send someone out to read meter again, and or test for functionality. However it likely will get you stugotts. At end of day just as with DEP water meters ConEd will say their meter is functioning correctly, and things are what they are.

Am not saying don't reach out and have ConEd come back out and look at meter; but wouldn't get hopes up about a really dramatic change in billing.

Again it is like water bills, people have been away for several months and still got bills showing high usage. How an empty house can still be using water is anyone's guess, but never the less DEP usually says it is possible.

Regarding level billing it can be great or bad depending upon your usage patterns.

All Con Ed does is same as everyone else; they take twelve months of usage to create an average, and that is what you are billed each month. This can be great if you consistently use lower amounts of power say from October through June or July (air conditioning season). But if your bill jumps up and down all through year, say if you have people staying over for a week or so, main heat source goes out or whatever and you need to run an electric heater, or anything else that increases electrical usage in a month, then that estimate goes out the window. Con Ed will sooner or later will reevaluate your usage which could result in higher estimated bills base upon one off situations.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:40 PM

There is a minimum water usage charge even if you don’t use a drop of water. I guess the city still has expenses for the infrastructure to deliver water and maintain water pipes and mains.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:50 PM

31,995 posts, read 27,162,995 times
Quote:
i live in a pre war rental building so it is not in my hands to give them access. There are 25 apartments in the bldg and a live in super and it is the first time this is happening since i moved there in 2004. I actually am not used to A/C and cannot sleep with it so i only use it if there is a heat wave or something and with that it never came close to $100, most $80 in the 20 yrs i lived there during the summer.
Sooner or later Con Ed will get around to swapping out your old meter for new digital/electronic (same as DEP type meters), but until then you need to get your building to give timely access for Con Ed to read meters.

Talk to your super/building management to find out why he wasn't available to give Con Ed access, and to ensure it won't happen again (if it can be helped).

Meanwhile again call Con Ed back to have them read meter. Just make sure someone is going to be at building to give them access at arranged appointment time/date. It makes no sense to set up an appointment only for Con Ed to arrive and meter reader cannot get into basement.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:27 PM

The OP can call in a reading during the scheduled meter reading date or the day after, assuming the OP knows how to read the meter. It will be listed as a customer reading on the bill but if done correctly it will be the same bill as if Con Ed read it. If the OP is not sure how to read the meter, the OP can take a picture of the meter and send it to Con Ed via their website.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:50 AM

thank you all for your input. I will email the picture to ConEd and see what they say. Meanwhile, i posted this on a local group on FB and many people in my ares had issues with ConEd not reading the meters since the summer and/or not showing up on scheduled reading times/dates.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:45 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,766,257 times
Quote:
Did you check the rates per Kilowatt hours? Prices do not remain stagnant,

Old 02-22-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Did you check the rates per Kilowatt hours? Prices do not remain stagnant,
i sent the picture of the meter to ConEd and spoke to a representative yesterday who said the meter reading they took was wrong and they cancelled my bill. They will issue a new bill based on the meter reading on the picture which she said will be much lower than my current bill. So there was a mistake. Hope people will find this thread useful because ConEd does not seem to be very accurate with their readings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City