Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 12:34 PM

15,854 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

Because then they can't cover their expenses either. This is why the primary opponent of AirBnB is the NY hotel unions. They're terrified that people who want to stay in/near NYC will not have to say in union hotels, and pay absurd rates that cover their bloated salaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Why not charge more reasonable rates, so that they'd be full?

This is what people who hate AirBNB don't seem to understand. They flourished because hotel rates are, as that candidate said, "Too damn high."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 02:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Tourism will be worse this year than anytime in the past decade. Due to coronavirus and crime spike. Many Chinese tourists can't come and crime spike will make many Americans plan their vacations elsewhere.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:09 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
Just turn them into homeless shelters as they have been doing for the last few years. The city will pay 600 a night

Old 02-20-2020, 06:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Because being a landlord of an apartment building in NYC will be likely even worse than being an owner of a half-empty hotel in the future years. I don't know what legal process might be involved in converting a hotel into a condo building, but I know of specific buildings that underwent that conversion (though not in NYC) - that would certainly be a more profitable way to salvage a failed hotel project, and would create a supply of small condo or co-op units that are generally lacking in NYC.

Btw, if a substantial number of hotels shut down in NYC, that will keep prices of remaining accommodations high, per market rules of supply and demand. Also, I did not notice that hotel prices in Manhattan are higher than centrally located hotels in LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Santa Fe, mountain towns in Colorado and Utah, Boston, even Pittsburgh...
Landlord will always be more stable industry than hospitality given all else is equal.

The closures will only go up to an equilibrium of just enough hotels to keep rates attractive and still allow the remaining to stay green.

If some big hotels do close, it be best for the admin to allow for rapid conversion to something like housing, or shelters. They were quick with that Pan Am hotel on Queens Blvd and the Holiday Inn in Maspeth. As a residential rental, the rooms be really small studios, and probably affordable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Just turn them into homeless shelters as they have been doing for the last few years. The city will pay 600 a night
The rooms make really nice small studio apartments though. Depends on what kind of incentives govt wants to give out in exchange for the property.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:28 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Landlord will always be more stable industry than hospitality given all else is equal.

The closures will only go up to an equilibrium of just enough hotels to keep rates attractive and still allow the remaining to stay green.

If some big hotels do close, it be best for the admin to allow for rapid conversion to something like housing, or shelters. They were quick with that Pan Am hotel on Queens Blvd and the Holiday Inn in Maspeth. As a residential rental, the rooms be really small studios, and probably affordable too.

The rooms make really nice small studio apartments though. Depends on what kind of incentives govt wants to give out in exchange for the property.

In case you haven't heard, what property buyers normally "give out in exchange for the property" is money, and the transaction is called "sale and purchase" (or "lease" if the exchange is temporary). What other kind of "incentive" do you have in mind that property owners would want in exchange for their property?

Condo (or co-op) conversions are far better for both the seller of the building and for the city, than more fleabag hotels and flophouses (the poster DonaldJTrump was being sarcastic, in case you haven't noticed that either). My guess is that a building owner would first explore every other option (including bankruptcy, or arson if feasible) before agreeing to run a mental institution/open-door jail in exchange for "government" (btw, that means "taxpayer") money, or in exchange for any money.

Last edited by elnrgby; 02-20-2020 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 11:41 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Hotels are doing good in Florida and California but Airbnb going take big share of NYC hotel market less than 5 years. It like Lyft and Uber pass taxis rides in 2016/2017. More NYC tourists and visitors are using Airbnb than hotels these days. Uber from airport to Airbnb then subway to Manhattan or around Manhattan.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:45 AM

Unlike Uber/Lyft, there are strong laws curbing AirBnB in and around NYC (thanks to the hotel unions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Hotels are doing good in Florida and California but Airbnb going take big share of NYC hotel market less than 5 years. It like Lyft and Uber pass taxis rides in 2016/2017. More NYC tourists and visitors are using Airbnb than hotels these days. Uber from airport to Airbnb then subway to Manhattan or around Manhattan.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:19 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Unlike Uber/Lyft, there are strong laws curbing AirBnB in and around NYC (thanks to the hotel unions.)
Right now Airbnb is 25% of market share I will say in 2 years it will 40-50% hotels will be shutting their doors especially NYC

Old 02-21-2020, 10:35 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Right now Airbnb is 25% of market share I will say in 2 years it will 40-50% hotels will be shutting their doors especially NYC

I don't see anything wrong with that. People have come across an idea of offering their homes cheaply to tourists, and that idea has outcompeted the idea of going to a chain hotel. That is how free market works. I personally use AirBnB, and totally support that business concept. In San Francisco, where I have the second condo, one of the condo owners in our relatively small building uses the unit as AirBnB. Tourists are nice, quiet and totally non-disruptive, and we don't mind them at all.

As much as I am sorry for the hotel owners who incorrectly guessed the future market needs in NYC, I don't think failed business ventures should be artificially propped up with rules such as those against AirBnB. Again, if the hotel owners pursue condo/co-op conversions, they will at least salvage their capital investment in the business that failed.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:13 AM

It may be that way in other areas, but in NYC the city will come down like the Hammer of Thor on anyone who does short term rentals in residential buildings. So, no.

And AirBnB is getting pushback all over. I know Barcelona is cracking down on them. Closer to us, Jersey City, which was AirBnB friendly just passed and anti-short term rental ordinance.

Really, with all the pushback, I think they've peaked, and are likely to crash.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City