Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times

Advertisements

lol.

https://qns.com/story/2020/02/21/cou...ere-destroyed/

Developer Jerry Wolkoff is going to have to pay millions in damages for destroying the 5Pointz graffiti mecca back in November 2013 ...

The Second Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Federal Judge Frederick Block’s $6.75 million judgement against Wolkoff, ruling that his whitewashing of the murals at 5Pointz violated the federal Visual Artists Rights Act.

“I don’t know what happens next, that’s what David and I are contemplating right now, whether to end this right now or take it to the Supreme Court and we have 90 days to decide,” Wolkoff said. “The worst part about all this is I still think I’m right but the whole world thinks I’m wrong. Yeah, I painted over it, but they painted over it too. I guess I’ll just have to live with it.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 06:09 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
These Leftist judges are too much. His murals were on someone else’s property and the owner of that property has to pay the graffiti artist because he decided to remove the graffiti on his own property!

Old 02-22-2020, 06:12 AM

1,568 posts, read 909,830 times
This is silly. What next? Why don’t they sue the MTA for buffing the trains?

Old 02-22-2020, 06:41 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol.

Developer Jerry Wolkoff is going to have to pay millions in damages for destroying the 5Pointz graffiti mecca back in November 2013 ...

The Second Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Federal Judge Frederick Block’s $6.75 million judgement against Wolkoff, ruling that his whitewashing of the murals at 5Pointz violated the federal Visual Artists Rights Act.

“I don’t know what happens next, that’s what David and I are contemplating right now, whether to end this right now or take it to the Supreme Court and we have 90 days to decide,” Wolkoff said. “The worst part about all this is I still think I’m right but the whole world thinks I’m wrong. Yeah, I painted over it, but they painted over it too. I guess I’ll just have to live with it.”

Take this case to the Supreme Court ASAP! The ruling is another attack on private property rights. The Visual Artists Rights Act needs to be repealed immediately.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:46 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
They’d win at the Supreme Court. It’s a no brainer. As in our judges in NY have no brains.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-22-2020, 10:16 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
the case should be appealed.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:41 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol.

Opinion:

If you graffiti over property without permission it is a crime.

Wolkoff agreement with the artists on painting
on his structure may be the reason for the judges decision.
It will need to be heard court of appeals.

Graffiti is not art if on anything except an artists canvas.
Then again it is a matter of taste or maybe tasteless.
Graffiti is a felony vandalism of property.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
They’d win at the Supreme Court. It’s a no brainer. As in our judges in NY have no brains.
Opinion:
Like the old saying " You can convict a ham sandwich in N.Y. "
Real block head lawyers for this decision.................

Old 02-24-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
the case should be appealed.
Opinion: No choice but ..............

Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
The artists would have never won if the developers didn't basically slap them in the face:

Really? A tag in the lobby? How cheesy is that.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City