Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 10:41 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Was NYS or NYC keeping track of (or at least attempting to keep track of) and monitoring people traveling from mainland China to the state/city? Based on the calls of xenophobia and racism toward the China flight ban and related guidelines from city officials and the city making light of the situation then (encouraging people to go out, continue riding the subway, attend Chinese New Year parades, etc.), I submit not. Guidelines from February 7 can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6905e1.htm

City and state resources on the ground in NYC and NYS are much more numerous than federal resources. The city or state could have easily gotten passenger information and the such (I'm not even sure they have to ask for it . . . they work in partnership with the federal government on screening visitors from overseas to the city for threats at the joint command center). If the city needed help in that regard, they could have asked for it. But when the city goes out of its way to encourage large gathering, attack the decision to close off flights to China as xenophobic and racist, etc., they weren't being serious. When the city and state are going back and forth for well over a week over whether schools would be closed, they weren't being serious.

Also, we are not South Korea or Japan. Our system of government is based on federalism, not centralization. The federal government cannot force states to do most things. State sovereignty over the matters we've been discussing is supreme to federal authority.

Note, I do want to be careful with how much I criticize either the federal or state government here as the seriousness of the coronavirus is still not fully known. And we know much more about it over the last two weeks than we knew a month ago. Hell, in mid January China was still saying that it couldn't verify that the virus spread via the community method. But if you're going to criticize the federal government for something, I say don't hold back on the state/local government if they ignored and attacked certain federal efforts that saved lives.
I’m reading the link you sent, and came across it before, but what are you reading? How did you make those jumps?

And again, it’s guidance of what to do and how to do it as well as coordination of multiple agencies. That is not something well within NYS or NYC’s power—the city is very close to state lines. One of the larger in reach spreading clusters in the area was Westport in Connecticut.

The federal government is the only entity with enough power and resources to plan, prepare, monitor and coordinate in the case of a pandemic. Coronavirus does not care about whether or not that is how things are organized or if it is an issue for some.

Sure, the state and city government made mistakes, but the brunt of this is the federal government. The bungling of testing deployment was especially bad. The lack of clear communication to the state and city about the suspected severity of this and explaining to them that they needed to shut things down earlier. What got the city schools shut down? People of the city pissed at the city.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
20,011 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 and over 280 related fatalities across the city. And at least 3,750 people hospitalized with COVID-19, including at least 840 in the ICU as 6PM. Around 10 AM earlier in the day NYC had 17,856 cases with 199 deaths.

at least 6,420 in Queens
3,616 in Manhattan
5,232 in Brooklyn
3,542 in the Bronx
1,166 on Staten Island

The total number of people who’ve died from coronavirus increased 40.7% to 280 and the number of confirmed cases jumped 12% to 20,011
88 people have died due to COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, bringing total to 280, tonight's NYC Dept. of Health report shows; 96% of the deaths involved patients with pre-existing conditions.

Next update Thursday 3/26/2020 between 10 AM-12 PM
11 PM update for New York State

33,030 confirmed cases in New York State with 366 deaths

NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday that the state's density control plan appears to be working. The rate of hospitalizations is spreading out to 4.7 days, from 2 days this past Sunday.

Still, the infection rate is accelerating and the state could be two weeks away from a crisis that sees 40,000 people in intensive care. Such a surge would overwhelm hospitals.

NYC numbers on ABC7 NY website
NY state on NY Times

Old 03-26-2020, 04:53 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Breaks your heart to hear front line persons dying from this disease.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...S-dies-48.html

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/worker...m-coronavirus/

Old 03-26-2020, 05:18 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
I have a question. Given the lack of hospital capacity, and the rapidly impending overload of the hospital system, why doesn’t the state government order everyone who has the means to leave the city as soon as possible? They could go to other parts of the state or the country and self-quarantine for 14 days to disperse the problem and conserve resources in the city. If I were in NYC right now, I would certainly not be sticking around for the nuclear meltdown of the hospital system that’s about to take place.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:32 AM

494 posts, read 558,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I have a question. Given the lack of hospital capacity, and the rapidly impending overload of the hospital system, why doesn’t the state government order everyone who has the means to leave the city as soon as possible? They could go to other parts of the state or the country and self-quarantine for 14 days to disperse the problem and conserve resources in the city. If I were in NYC right now, I would certainly not be sticking around for the nuclear meltdown of the hospital system that’s about to take place.
So...

Hey you might be sick, go away, get out of the city and go quarantine somewhere else be someone else’s problem. Find a hotel be alone and spend money you don’t have on that or go stay in your family’s extra room and try not to infect them. Good luck with health care if you have it and a hospital that may or may not accept it.

This will spread faster to the other states but it will slow down in NYC.

There is so much wrong with your statement I don’t know where to begin.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:34 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
1 - Plenty of those who have means and place to go have fled NYC, in particular Manhattan. My part of city is pretty such a ghost town, as are many other areas.

2 - As now designated epicenter of Covid-19 epidemic other areas aren't happy about people from NYC arriving in their area. Florida has already strongly suggest those arriving from NY should be quarantined for 14 days. Westchester, Long Island and upstate NY areas are starting to give the side eye to NYC residents arriving in their areas. More than the numbers who have already moved to these areas where they have second homes, or are renting them for duration.

3 - Where are people going to get the moenty to pack up and move, and who is going to pick up the tab for their accommodations while away? Not everyone can afford to pay rent on their place in NYC and also a hotel or whatever bill for one, two, three or more weeks away from home.

4 - A surprising number of people are still working, or trying to because they need that pay check.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:35 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
It's not really possible to escape the meltdown at this point. The meltdown is spreading across the country so fast now that it would be like trying to outrun a tidal wave. Look at the way the numbers are rising in Louisiana,Florida,Michigan, Ohio,Arizona,Illinois,Georgia and Texas. Those places are at most only 2 weeks behind NY and some of those places are still doing virtually no testing and doing nothing to slow down the spread.
At this point there is no place to hide. The virus is in total control . The only way this could have been stopped would have been to institute a uniform nationwide shutdown 3 or 4 weeks ago. If we had done that it might be ending now instead of just barely beginning.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
So...

Hey you might be sick, go away, get out of the city and go quarantine somewhere else be someone else’s problem. Find a hotel be alone and spend money you don’t have on that or go stay in your family’s extra room and try not to infect them. Good luck with health care if you have it and a hospital that may or may not accept it.

This will spread faster to the other states but it will slow down in NYC.

There is so much wrong with your statement I don’t know where to begin.
Hence why I said if you have the means. I should also add, if you’re not currently ill. There are many people who are not sick now who will get sick. Additionally, if you have another condition or injury but not COVID, good luck getting treatment.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's not really possible to escape the meltdown at this point. The meltdown is spreading across the country so fast now that it would be like trying to outrun a tidal wave. Look at the way the numbers are rising in Louisiana,Florida,Michigan, Ohio,Arizona,Illinois,Georgia and Texas. Those places are at most only 2 weeks behind NY and some of those places are still doing virtually no testing and doing nothing to slow down the spread.
At this point there is no place to hide.
Ohio has done a stellar job in slowing this down, and we have some of the best hospitals in the country. Our governor was one of the first to act. They were much quicker than New York to shut down big events, schools, gatherings, etc. Just saying. The health director of the state has a Facebook fan page 50,000 strong because of all of the things she’s done to help keep Ohioans safe.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times
This is sad.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...itals.amp.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City