Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I'm just saying, if I knew a tsunami or hurricane was about to hit my city I would be heading for higher ground ASAP. You might get rained on elsewhere, but at least you won't get completely flooded out.
You don't bring the tsunami or hurricane with you when you're moving to higher ground. You're asking for a massive growth of the scale of the disaster. If somehow this were miraculously isolated to just a scant few places in the US, then the places afflicted have a better chance of sustained recovery if the rest of the country is still doing pretty well. If large numbers of the rest of the country also gets hit hard, then it is going to be harder for everyone including the people in areas that are currently heavily afflicted.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:12 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You don't bring the tsunami or hurricane with you when you're moving to higher ground. You're asking for a massive growth of the scale of the disaster. If somehow this were miraculously isolated to just a scant few places in the US, then the places afflicted have a better chance of sustained recovery if the rest of the country is still doing pretty well. If large numbers of the rest of the country also gets hit hard, then it is going to be harder for everyone including the people in areas that are currently heavily afflicted.
One part of this whole Coronavirus issue that Ifeel sorry for is for folks who live in rural areas, and folks who live rural areas and lack access to healthcare facilities. While we worry about healthcare systems being overburden, the next big issue will be those who live in rural areas who lack access to healthcare facilities in which like 5 counties have acess to one hospital in some cases in this country.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/do-you-q...HVcTZygyrEVCnE

Old 03-26-2020, 09:37 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Third NYC Trader Joe's closes due to staff member testing positive.

https://patch.com/new-york/west-vill...ronavirus-case

Chelsea is now closed (for now).

Old 03-26-2020, 09:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
One part of this whole Coronavirus issue that Ifeel sorry for is for folks who live in rural areas, and folks who live rural areas and lack access to healthcare facilities. While we worry about healthcare systems being overburden, the next big issue will be those who live in rural areas who lack access to healthcare facilities in which like 5 counties have acess to one hospital in some cases in this country.
Rural people drive to their hospitals. No place in America has 5 counties using an emergency room. For certainly specialty services, they do have to drive further.

Now if you’re talking about open country side, social distancing is easy and if the person is careful enough at the grocery store they won’t get sick.

I think you should feel sorry for NYC’s trapping in what is only the beginning stages of a disaster. Density is not your friend when dealing with airborne illnesses.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Well, I came to check on this post but there are far too many pages added to it since I have been gone.

I have continued to go into work and our shifts have been altered. I am exhausted but thankful for a break with the long days and thankful to be employed.

We had a few coworkers with whom we share relatively small spaces with test positive. The rest of us have been okay thus far.

The city is so creepily empty. I would say a good number of people are wearing PPE on the trains. They seem to have more PPE than we have available in health care facilities.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...mMcqso-SU-qNSU

Rent Freeze Proposed for NYC Tenants Struggling During Pandemic

Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Rural people drive to their hospitals. No place in America has 5 counties using an emergency room. For certainly specialty services, they do have to drive further.

Now if you’re talking about open country side, social distancing is easy and if the person is careful enough at the grocery store they won’t get sick.

I think you should feel sorry for NYC’s trapping in what is only the beginning stages of a disaster. Density is not your friend when dealing with airborne illnesses.
Plenty of rural places have seen hospital closures in the last few years as they can't keep up financially. And yes, they can have counties with no hospital at all, just a clinic if they're lucky.

Here in DE, we had coffee (on the sidewalk, not allowed in) last week and watched the line of traffic pass through town and not one plate was local. We have beaches in this state, and retirees by the thousands, and every MD or DC plate that passed by was another potential carrier who wanted to escape a more populated area like Baltimore or Annapolis or DC. It was a kind of chilling procession to watch.

Anyone with this kind of thinking, I can tell you one thing: the hospital capacity here doesn't serve the current population, which outstripped it long ago. They are mad to build more medical facilities here and short on doctors and dentists of every kind on a good day. You can wait four months for a PCP appointment, so anyone thinking "escape," I wish you luck in a pandemic.

Actually, I wish us all luck.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM

Don’t spend $1200 all at once (rolls eyes)

Old 03-26-2020, 10:23 AM

I won’t be going to Trader Joe’s until the virus goes away. I miss the pastrami so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City