Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:23 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can you be more specific? My kids are all in public schools. Two different schools, handling it two different ways. Two of mine are actually attending a first responder school site that is open.
Yea, I guess I was more curious about how classes were being conducted and if there was a unified policy and technology used for different classes and different schools. Like, are there specific technology platforms being used? Is it a group video conference or a streamed lecture of sorts? Or is it all pre-recorded or maybe just text? Is this varying wildly from one place to another or even among different teachers in the same school?

Old 04-05-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
According to data. Half of the nation's children dont have high speed internet at home. I actually know a woman friend that uses her iPhone as a Hotspot so that her 2 kids can use internet for school. The video on zoom lags and can not support the bandwith of crappy cell towers in the neighborhood of Mt eden.
I assume that NYC is a little bit better than the nation as a whole for high speed access. I am curious about whether or not trying to improve internet access within the city is actually an ongoing affair right now and if it's considered essential business. Most, maybe almost all, NYC neighborhoods actually do have the capability of having fairly decent speed internet access through a cellular service, but that's heavily influenced by where in the building one is and what carrier one has.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:31 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Maybe start advertising the Spectrum internet + Spectrum Mobile service more. It's gotta be cheap enough and more ideal than using an iPhone as a mobile hotspot. I was paying $39.99/mo for 300 down before I switched to Fios (finally got a place with fiber).

Old 04-05-2020, 09:53 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
are you in New York now?

Or is your purpose here to make New Yorkers hate Cuomo ?

Do you think any of these partisan remarks helps the situation?
This is precisely why i ignored them. Their posts do not lead to a conversation. Its just constant hammering BS about NYC, Deblasio and Coumo. Don't feed the trolls.

Quote:
I never said drive. I suggested biking, walking, anything to avoid getting into a tin can with the random filth of this city. Drop the “privilege” act. If anything, this virus has proved how stupid constantly harping on such nonsense is. It is affecting all of us, rich or poor, and killing indiscriminately. It’s not my fault that the poor make bad choices, even in the midst of a pandemic when all of the important information has been given to them.

NYC is the epicenter because the MTA hasn’t been shut down. Period. Change my mind. NY’s leftist overlords’ fixation on racial politics is why it’s still running and why we’re in this mess far worse than other comparably dense cities around the world that have dealt with the virus.

The filth of this city? would you like to clarify what do you mean by "filth". The ones i mostly see out there are essential workers. Law enforcement, medical workers, sanitation, restaurant workers, food delivery services, etc. If these people are considered filth then i dont know what to say. These are people who work in a city that they cannot afford the luxuries of.

The virus is affecting everyone, the rich and the poor but its affecting them very differently. For instance the rich got up and ran to their summer home or parents home out of the city. By doing this they ended up spreading the virus even more to areas that wasn't even affected yet. A perfect example of this is what happened on the Hamptons. They ran out there and started buying up everything in bulk cleaning out shelves of all the steak, shrimp and wine. So much they had to buy additional freezers just to store the food they were buying. All of a sudden the wealthy are making the rich look poor and they are pissed.

You are correct that it is not your fault the poor make bad choices but until you are in their shoes you will never understand. Coming to this country as an immigrant and working my way up to a decent living have allowed me to walk many paths, see many things and grow up real quickly. What i have learned is to not judge someone on the choices they made without understanding the options they had (example: innocent person taking a plea deal to serve less time because they know trial by jury will result in more time than the plea deal)

Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I guess I was more curious about how classes were being conducted and if there was a unified policy and technology used for different classes and different schools. Like, are there specific technology platforms being used? Is it a group video conference or a streamed lecture of sorts? Or is it all pre-recorded or maybe just text? Is this varying wildly from one place to another or even among different teachers in the same school?
Most of the “classes” are just assignments to complete, at least for my kids. They’re actually getting gym “classes” too, which I’m happy for.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-05-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Most of the “classes” are just assignments to complete, at least for my kids. They’re actually getting gym “classes” too, which I’m happy for.
I see--the gym class is because there's an actual physical location for a first responder school site, is that right? Also, do they at all ask first responders to try to isolate themselves from their families?

I know that a friend's sister works at a hospital and lives with their mom, but has taken on herself to find another apartment for the time being because of fears of giving it to their mother. I assume that's also on a personal judgment basis for first responders.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:14 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
It’s not my fault that the poor make bad choices, even in the midst of a pandemic when all of the important information has been given to them.

Maybe "it's not your fault", but "you" have more to lose than they do when they make bad choices like taking mass transit in a pandemic.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
I never said drive. I suggested biking, walking, anything to avoid getting into a tin can with the random filth of this city. Drop the “privilege” act. If anything, this virus has proved how stupid constantly harping on such nonsense is. It is affecting all of us, rich or poor, and killing indiscriminately. It’s not my fault that the poor make bad choices, even in the midst of a pandemic when all of the important information has been given to them.
I just looked. The bike ride would be about two hours each way. Roll through the ghetto. Go through I don't know how many zig-zags and pathways that are not practical. Walking would be 5 hours and 21 minutes one way. I am a very big walker but I am not spending 11 hours walking when my shift is 12 hours. Let's be real.

I wish they would issue temporary parking passes and allow people to park in areas that are generally restricted for nonsensical reasons. Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I think it's heavily MTA specific. My last train ride to and from work was disgusting. Nobody covered their mouths, sniffles everywhere, and my girlfriend actually spent time counting every single person that seemed sick. To say the least, we did not touch a single rail. I regret not working from home that day as I worked from home the prior two weeks. Somehow we didn't get sick though, definitely dodged a bullet there.

And the fact that they only started to power wash the cars every 3 days at the time. When the Port Authority head tested positive, it was very sad irony.
I don't touch anything on the train with my hands. I have gloves. I have a face mask. More than half of people on the trains are doing the same. People are trying to stay away from people, though I've seen it lead to a few confrontations. The trains are still too packed due to the reduced service. But I would say 99% of people are TRYING on the trains.

Unfortunately the homeless are still there on the trains and platforms.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:24 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I just looked. The bike ride would be about two hours each way. Roll through the ghetto. Go through I don't know how many zig-zags and pathways that are not practical. Walking would be 5 hours and 21 minutes one way. I am a very big walker but I am not spending 11 hours walking when my shift is 12 hours. Let's be real.

I wish they would issue temporary parking passes and allow people to park in areas that are generally restricted for nonsensical reasons. Or something.

I don't touch anything on the train with my hands. I have gloves. I have a face mask. More than half of people on the trains are doing the same. People are trying to stay away from people, though I've seen it lead to a few confrontations. The trains are still too packed due to the reduced service. But I would say 99% of people are TRYING on the trains.

Unfortunately the homeless are still there on the trains and platforms.
A friend of mine who still has to ride 3-4x a week said the panhandlers have gotten extremely aggressive. First of all, they are not making nearly the same money as they were before, so they are desperate. And second, if you are one of only a few people on each train car, it's very easy for the panhandler to zero in on you and harass you. No longer can you get lost in the crowd and hope they move on to someone else.

At least this is how she described it to me. I think she rides off hours so she's likely to encounter some very empty train cars; I know from pics and anecdotes that some are still riding in somewhat full cars. Guess it depends on the line and the time of day.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:25 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see--the gym class is because there's an actual physical location for a first responder school site, is that right? Also, do they at all ask first responders to try to isolate themselves from their families?

I know that a friend's sister works at a hospital and lives with their mom, but has taken on herself to find another apartment for the time being because of fears of giving it to their mother. I assume that's also on a personal judgment basis for first responders.
Actually its the opposite. The site has nearly zero interaction. My daughters are in classrooms with only 4-5 other kids and mostly remain at their desks, even for lunch. Oddly enough, they are loving it though. The gym “class” is a virtual class from my step-daughter’s school. My wife didn’t want her going, so she stays home.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City