Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 12:19 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,067 times

Advertisements

Maybe at the entrances of subways after a fare is paid they could give out free face masks, just some kind of cloth ones that would reduce the chance of a person who is sick wearing one from aerosolizing with a cough or sneeze directly into the air.
Asians have no stigma about wearing face masks but many of us do. I see various types sold on Amazon. Everybody should have one if not make one - especially for riding elevators. This would reduce transmission and any barrier on the face may not prevent the virus but it can diminish the amount inhaled and the more you inhale at one time the harsher the infection

Old 04-05-2020, 12:19 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Will nyc see a divorce surge after the pandemic is over?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....ce-uptick/amp/

Old 04-05-2020, 12:20 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Will nyc see a divorce surge after the pandemic is over?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....ce-uptick/amp/
Either that or another "Boomer" generation .

Old 04-05-2020, 12:25 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Either that or another "Boomer" generation .
I know that a demogropher stated that 2019 marks the end of the generation Z. 2020 going forward will be generation alpha. Kind of bow 1945 marked the beginning of the baby boomers due to world War 2 ending.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:27 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
I know that a demographer stated that 2019 marks the end of the generation Z. 2020 going forward will be generation alpha. Kind of bow 1945 marked the beginning of the baby boomers due to world War 2 ending.
Generation Alpha has a nice ring to it.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The feds, state and city officials need to start independent assessments on why who, where and how did nyc and NYS have high rate of infections and What contributed to it, and who is accountable.

3.4 million travelers poured into US as coronavirus pandemic erupted

Travel data of passengers arriving in the United States from China during the critical period in December, January and February, when the disease took hold in that country, shows a stunning 759,493 people entered the U.S.

Those travelers from China included more than 228,000 Americans returning home and hundreds of thousands of Chinese nationals arriving for business, academics, tourism or to visit family.

Researchers from Johns Hopkins University said the outbreak could have started as far back as November, and that there may have been hundreds of cases in Wuhan by early December. On Jan. 14, a different team of researchers from the University of Toronto warned that the outbreak could quickly jump from Wuhan to other major cities because of international travel.

President Donald Trump restricted travel from China effective Feb. 2

__________________________________________________ _________

In New York being the most cosmopolitan international city in the world and with a China Town, the first case was actually woman who had recently been in Iran.
There were numerous people entering from multiple countries coming into New York and it is vastly impossible to backtrack and know who was infected when

Old 04-05-2020, 12:56 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Or fit their pockets. City and garages have people and bills to pay too.
I didn’t say anything about garages. Street parking.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-05-2020, 01:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
3.4 million travelers poured into US as coronavirus pandemic erupted

Travel data of passengers arriving in the United States from China during the critical period in December, January and February, when the disease took hold in that country, shows a stunning 759,493 people entered the U.S.

Those travelers from China included more than 228,000 Americans returning home and hundreds of thousands of Chinese nationals arriving for business, academics, tourism or to visit family.

Researchers from Johns Hopkins University said the outbreak could have started as far back as November, and that there may have been hundreds of cases in Wuhan by early December. On Jan. 14, a different team of researchers from the University of Toronto warned that the outbreak could quickly jump from Wuhan to other major cities because of international travel.

President Donald Trump restricted travel from China effective Feb. 2

__________________________________________________ _________

In New York being the most cosmopolitan international city in the world and with a China Town, the first case was actually woman who had recently been in Iran.
There were numerous people entering from multiple countries coming into New York and it is vastly impossible to backtrack and know who was infected when
Honestly, it was more likely Flushing that would have had the first case than Chinatown had it not been the guy who traveled from Iran. I get some sense that Flushing is more new age Chinese while Chinatown is more old school, or just touristy. I know most of my Chinese friends from Chinatown skew much older and I can hear more Cantonese than Mandarin from them.

Damn good hotpot in both locations though, curry broth forever!

Old 04-05-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Honestly, it was more likely Flushing that would have had the first case than Chinatown had it not been the guy who traveled from Iran. I get some sense that Flushing is more new age Chinese while Chinatown is more old school, or just touristy. I know most of my Chinese friends from Chinatown skew much older and I can hear more Cantonese than Mandarin from them.

Damn good hotpot in both locations though, curry broth forever!
Many Chinese in New York have been wearing masks, that reduces spreading
only now have more non-Chinese been doing so

Old 04-05-2020, 01:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
Default What is COVID-19 waiting on to visit CA and FL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Florida and California will soon be skyrocketing - Disney is laying off all its parks workers that are not union. Pretty much the entire county of Orlando was employed by Disney. It will break the UI system in those states.
EDITED to say: chattyneighbor, noted that your statement was about unemployment rates not COVID-19 rates. Disregard my post to you. Checkmarkblue, this post is in response to one of your recent posts about COVID-19 rates.

What makes you so sure of that? I ask because this virus goes where ever people go and hasn't shown itself to operate on a time-delay according to time zones. It doesn't bear out that it's affecting NY state first and once those numbers start to diminish, FL and CA will then start to skyrocket. If this a foregone conclusion, then what is stopping the numbers in other states from skyrocketing now even while NY state is raging with this virus?

If anything, it has more to do with smart, effective, efficient, and proactive leadership in state governors and authorities in addition to density* as to how out of control this virus afflicts the population. The governor of CA mandated a shutdown weeks ago, it seemed almost premature at the time. WA state was the first to take the hit so they were dealing with unknowns which is why their percentage is so high. Also, a lot of their deaths came from nursing homes, a captive audience, being infected. However, their governor and leadership quickly mobilize the state and they've reigned this thing in to some decree. * I'll add that density is arguable as being a real culprit because countries with higher density than the USA and NYC have managed to effectively keep their COVID-19 death rates low such as South Korea and Hong Kong.*

Rates of some states according to worldometers dot info dated 4/4/20. IMO, this reflects not that the COVID-19 is delaying it's pounce upon other states but more indicative of how effective and PROACTIVE some states are versus others in handling the pandemic combined with less density (some are, but others have higher density).

State - Cases - Deaths - %
CA - 13,649 - 319 - 2
FL - 11,545 - 195 - 1.6
IL - 10,357 - 243 - 2
LA - 12,496 - 409 - 3
NJ - 34,124 - 846 - 2
NY - 114,775 - 3,565 - 3
PA - 10,415 - 136 - 1
TX - 6,359 - 111 - 1.7
WA - 7,591 - 314 - 4

Last edited by Klassyhk; 04-05-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City