Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:17 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's official, Cuomo says "no" to rent freeze. Other than 90 moratorium on evictions renters are on their own.

https://therealdeal.com/2020/03/31/i...ay-april-rent/
He had no choice. Eliminating rent payment by executive fiat would have been patently unconstitutional.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:17 AM

5,138 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
For one thing, it is untrue because Trump was one of the first to even talk about it:

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...639339520?s=20

And you have no idea what steps he was preparing to make behind the scenes. I said this before but you ignore anyway but he had to keep the country calm publicly but he was definitely making plans like banning travel from the outbreak countries. He couldn’t do it too early or else the Left would attack him for being overreactive, which they did anyway.

Second, you repeat it like for weeks now. I ignored it but when you started to attack me, then I am going to engage you on it.

i gave credit to him for this repeatedly in my previous posts, and what is the point for you to repeat what I acknowledged and praised him for?

Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
New York state reported 7,917 new cases of coronavirus and 391 new deaths over the past 24 hours, raising total to 83,712 cases and 1,941 dead.

Total NYC cases: 47,439, up 4,300
Total NY State cases: 83,712, up 7,917
Total tested: 220,880
Total hospitalized: 12,226
Total ICU: 3,022
Total Deaths: 1,941, up from 1,550

New York City has 47,439 cases and nearly 1200 deaths.

Statewide

Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
i gave credit to him for this repeatedly in my previous posts, and what is the point for you to repeat what I acknowledged and praised him for?
You endlessly bashed him on things that were unfounded and also unreasonable.

I’ve said this many times to you but this virus is now global, it is clear that no leader in the world was able to keep this out, certainly not in a country where we are linked to every corner of the world and have the most flights in and out the country. In good times, this is a good thing because it means we are economically powerful but in bad times, this is a drawback. It kinda comes with the territory. You have to take the bad with the good.

We are also a highly bureaucratic country. He can’t single handedly start doing things based on a hunch or feeling. Just a little more than a month ago, the number of cases in this country was still in very low. Putting things on a lockdown then might have been unthinkable.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:30 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times
Price gouging at its best. Box of masks (50) $100. Online it’s $40.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:39 AM

5,138 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:

I’ve said this many times to you but this virus is now global, it is clear that no leader in the world was able to keep this out, certainly not in a country where we are linked to every corner of the world and have the most flights in and out the country. In good times, this is a good thing because it means we are economically powerful but in bad times, this is a drawback. It kinda comes with the territory. You have to take the bad with the good.

We are also a highly bureaucratic country. He can’t single handedly start doing things based on a hunch or feeling. Just a little more than a month ago, the number of cases in this country was still in very low. Putting things on a lockdown then might have been unthinkable.

to excuse and blindly defend a commander-in-chief who failed to act promptly and decisively during a crisis that led to explosive sickness and deaths reflects some impaired thinking and ability to sympathize with the victims; and provides a moral swamp for such incompetent politicians to repeat this vicious cycle to inflict endless harm on Americans...

i was probably more supportive of trump for his presidency and job performance before you were aware of what was going on...

Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Price gouging at its best. Box of masks (50) $100. Online it’s $40.
By me, they're 50 bucks. Reg price was 7 dollars tops.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:44 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This is the NYC subforum. Let's not turn this into another Politics and Other Controversies forum.

What is your neighborhood like during the shelter in place? Is it easy to keep the proper distance? I'll start first. In Forest Hills near the gardens, it's very easy to keep distance when taking a walk. The supermarkets are a different story. Trader Joe's has a line out the door to maintain the distance. Other local supermarkets are just too small. Stop and Shop is the only one where you can maintain 6 feet since it's more like a supermarket you find in the suburbs.
Don't know. Everyone I know that lives in the LES that I keep close contact to left the state, I was a bit more extreme and left the country. Everyone that I know that works in the LES is either at home wherever they live, or similarly left the state. Literally a black box for me, though things were just starting to get bad when we left...

I could call one of my doormen though, but I assume the situation ain't great. Probably more peaceful, but more desolate. Friends in Brooklyn are all up in that Rent Strike 2020 thing that's been going around Facebook. Friend in Inwood is trying to see about getting his Costa Rican citizenship, though I think it's too late for that since he needs to physically go there. Friend who's working in the hospitals right now... well, he's been reasonably panicking but he's working hard.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:

Old 04-01-2020, 11:09 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
to excuse and blindly defend a commander-in-chief who failed to act promptly and decisively during a crisis that led to explosive sickness and deaths reflects some impaired thinking and ability to sympathize with the victims; and provides a moral swamp for such incompetent politicians to repeat this vicious cycle to inflict endless harm on Americans...

i was probably more supportive of trump for his presidency and job performance before you were aware of what was going on...
I mean what’s the point of discussing anything with you if you are going to repeat the same nonsense over and over. He did act promptly despite criticism from Democrats. This is a new virus that no one had any experience in dealing with.

Even now there is debate on how best to deal with this, whether the lockdown route like China, Italy, U.S. etc. or the let it run its course route like the Netherlands.

You have the luxury of hindsight. You are the type that are only good at pointing fingers after the fact, which is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City