Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 11:10 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What are you talking about the black community stepping in and help? Some if not a lot of the racist attacks on Asians are from black ignoramuses and thugs.

Not all racism are "attacks", most racism is not "in your face" its subtle. Right to refusal and denial of service are a couple that comes to mind that will affect the Asian community during this pandemic. The racist incidents will come from all sides non Chinese but chances are the media will spin it to make it seem that they are only coming from a certain demographic to fit their narrative.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:17 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Not all racism are "attacks", most racism is not "in your face" its subtle. Right to refusal and denial of service are a couple that comes to mind that will affect the Asian community during this pandemic. The racist incidents will come from all sides non Chinese but chances are the media will spin it to make it seem that they are only coming from a certain demographic to fit their narrative.
Stop with race thing stay on coronavirus topic

Old 04-02-2020, 11:26 AM

5,128 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Elmhurst Hospital/Corona Queens is most dangerous area in NYC for the virus

Health Department data show nearby Elmhurst has the second highest rate of positive cases with 831 confirmed COVID-19 patients and Borough Park in Brooklyn the third with 771.

NEW YORK CITY — In an almost unbelievable twist of irony, the most cases of the new coronavirus in New York City have been found in the Queens neighborhood of Corona.

No New York City region has reported more positive COVID-19 tests than the zip code 11368 — which covers Corona, North Corona and Willets Point — with 947 cases reported as of March 31, city data show.

More than 77 percent of the 1,227 Corona residents tested received confirmation they had the deadly virus, New York City Health Department data show.

The neighborhood's population is the most badly affected in New York City

March 31th numbers

Rhode Island is not playing with New York

I understand how boro park got hit hard, due to religious congregations...but why west/central queens? It is the more developed parts of Qns.

I was curious to see about asian communities, but no data on them?

None of the people I know reasonably well got this, which makes me feel slightly better amid this hot mess...I do feel the grief for all the families affected, especially those who cannot even bid a last farewell to their loved ones due to the contagious status of this covid...

Old 04-02-2020, 11:27 AM

NYC subways are still packed no social distancing

March 31th

Old 04-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Ten New York City transit workers die of COVID-19

At least 10 transit workers have died from Covid-19 in New York City, the epicenter of the pandemic in the United States. The number of positive cases among Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) workers is 583, up from 333 on Monday, and over 3,300 MTA workers are currently in quarantine.

Due to limited testing, these figures are likely drastic underestimations and will continue to rise in the coming days as transit workers are forced to continue working under unsafe conditions and without proper protective equipment.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/202.../nyct-a02.html

Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC subways are still packed no social distancing

March 31th
OMGGGGG. I realize my privilege is showing here. But you could not pay me any amount of money right now to get on the subway in NYC. I have been telling all of my coworkers that once the mandated WFH period is up, it's going to take me at least 3-4 weeks to actually feel comfortable coming back into the office.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,067 times

The U.S. State Department shipped 17.8 tons of donated coronavirus medical supplies to China seven weeks ago, when health experts and some American lawmakers were already seeking federal action to prepare the country for the disease.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday recommended wearing a scarf over the face to prevent the spread of coronavirus
“It doesn’t have to be a mask. It can be a scarf,” Trump said. “What I do see people doing here is using scarves. And I think in a certain way, depending on the fabric, I think in a certain way, a scarf is better, it’s actually better.”

Old 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
So, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, took his jet to China and purchased a million of the impossible to get N95 masks and other medical equipment for hospitals in Boston. The plane is enroute back home now scheduled to land in Boston this afternoon.

He also purchased 300,000 of the masks for NY State and they will be flown to NY from Boston tomorrow.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/robert-...china/32014916

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-1-million-n95

Why the **** can't our federal government do this ? Why do we have hospital workers getting sick and dying all across the country because of a lack of these masks when it is now obvious that it can be done ? Why aren't there plane loads of this stuff in the air right now on the way to other major U.S. cities?

I am surprised that amazon hasn't offered any discounts to millions who have lost their jobs due to this crisis...I even saw some price gouging here and there...

Is Bezos or his amazon doing anything helping millions of american families in need?

Old 04-02-2020, 11:37 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,487,406 times
Two thoughts:

It's home to a lot of workers who can still get work and can't afford to stop. Think cooks, delivery people, building service workers, etc.. These people are still using mass transit (see pictures above), and may be working in close quarters (see restaurant kitchens.)

There are also a lot or illegally subdivided or otherwise illegally overcrowded housing in these areas, used especially by illegal aliens.

On the basis of legal occupancy levels, I think Manhattan has to be much more densely populated than central Queens, but because people there don't need to use transit as much and are living in properly occupied apartments (alone or in families, not packed in like sardines), there's less opportunity to transmit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I understand how boro park got hit hard, due to religious congregations...but why west/central queens? It is the more developed parts of Qns.

I was curious to see about asian communities, but no data on them?

None of the people I know reasonably well got this, which makes me feel slightly better amid this hot mess...I do feel the grief for all the families affected, especially those who cannot even bid a last farewell to their loved ones due to the contagious status of this covid...

Old 04-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

The U.S. State Department shipped 17.8 tons of donated coronavirus medical supplies to China seven weeks ago, when health experts and some American lawmakers were already seeking federal action to prepare the country for the disease.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday recommended wearing a scarf over the face to prevent the spread of coronavirus
“It doesn’t have to be a mask. It can be a scarf,” Trump said. “What I do see people doing here is using scarves. And I think in a certain way, depending on the fabric, I think in a certain way, a scarf is better, it’s actually better.”

It is hugely disappointing that the chinese gov hasn't done the same to support the US when it is in the greatest need, isn't it? when he asked people to use scarves for protection, you know that the country is unable to supply the amount of masks needed, which is sad...

Trump keeps calling Xi a good friend...bragging about his friendship with him on numerous occasions, which bothers me...i know he was tough on trade deals...but why he keeps sending mixed message to the Xi gov?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City