Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 03:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
When enough people run out of money, the lockdown will end.
Not even. Everyone’s applying for unemployment. 6,000 dead in the US and numbers will explode. EMTs will no longer take people with heart attacks to hospitals.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Nobody knows how many epicenters they had in China. Need to count all the urns
But we do know how bad America is becoming. People and their individual rights. Many people will need deaths in their family for this to have any effect. And it will happen in the family. It’s horrible.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New York state will have around nearly 250,000 cases by end of May with 30,000 deaths, NYC will have nearly 20,000 deaths.

After May the rate of virus will slow down

Around 100,000-150,000 will be death toll for country by June

Social distancing will lower the numbers to that mark if we didn't take action projection would be 1 million or more.
Those numbers maybe family optimistic.
Due to failure for people to taje this epidemic NYC could have those numbers long before April is over. In fact I suspect NYC May have over 200,000 within a week.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:13 PM

874 posts, read 454,109 times

Wore my homemade mask all week….

Last week…I got tired of wasting precious (cut) paper towels, opening doors & started using coffee filters.

Then….
I was getting my “pocket stash” of coffee filters ready.

As I was pulling a few apart – they reminded me of a face mask without the ties. so I took 5 (not pulled apart) and folded, adjusted and used a rubber band...

....and voila! Homemade mask.

guess i should jazz it up and make a few masks with the coffee filters in between cloth.

better than nothing.

it has to be done unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:29 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Wanted to answer the questions in the thread about the guy who wants to take his family on vacation that was closed re traveling to Pennsylvania.

Someone asked where I got the information from that New Yorkers are getting stopped trying to pass into Pennsylvania. Already had answered that--I have family in Pennsylvania, in the Poconos, and also near Scranton. One of them was pulled over for crossing a COUNTY line. They are the ones telling me this. My sister and niece in Pennsylvania did not come to our mother's funeral because PA doesn't want them to travel here and get our cooties, either.

You're not going to get shot at the border, and obviously they aren't stationed at every little street that crosses the border. But since there is an "essential travel only" ban in place in all of these states, they can pull you over and if you don't have a good reason to be traveling there from New York, they may ask you to turn around and go home as they are doing in Rhode Island. People who have second homes up there are asked to self-isolate for two weeks.

Just like here, no one is watching everyone, so if you want to try to get away with it, have a party. The most I believe they can do is give you a disorderly conduct ticket. There as yet are no actual laws against crossing state borders that I know of, but there has been an increasing resentment against residents of NY and NJ trying to hide out in PA.

More than cops, you have to watch out for the locals. They are getting angry with the influx of people from NY and NJ who have been arriving. There have also been some opportunists who are illegally airbnb-ing their homes to make some bucks off of fleeing NY and NJ residents.

All I was saying is that if you are thinking, "la-di-da, I'll just mosey up to the Poconos", there are hundreds who have already done that and they are not being welcomed with flowers and parades, and if the cops pull you over and you don't have a good excuse for being there, they might take whatever action they can.

It's not black and white. The same thing happened here in NJ with our governor telling the beach house people to stay home. Can they do that legally when they pay taxes on those houses? Good question. But this conversation began with a guy who wants to take a vacation with his family, so he obviously doesn't have a Pocono house. I'm just saying the safer bet is to stay in upstate New York.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wanted to answer the questions in the thread about the guy who wants to take his family on vacation that was closed re traveling to Pennsylvania.

Someone asked where I got the information from that New Yorkers are getting stopped trying to pass into Pennsylvania. Already had answered that--I have family in Pennsylvania, in the Poconos, and also near Scranton. One of them was pulled over for crossing a COUNTY line. They are the ones telling me this. My sister and niece in Pennsylvania did not come to our mother's funeral because PA doesn't want them to travel here and get our cooties, either.

You're not going to get shot at the border, and obviously they aren't stationed at every little street that crosses the border. But since there is an "essential travel only" ban in place in all of these states, they can pull you over and if you don't have a good reason to be traveling there from New York, they may ask you to turn around and go home as they are doing in Rhode Island. People who have second homes up there are asked to self-isolate for two weeks.

Just like here, no one is watching everyone, so if you want to try to get away with it, have a party. The most I believe they can do is give you a disorderly conduct ticket. There as yet are no actual laws against crossing state borders that I know of, but there has been an increasing resentment against residents of NY and NJ trying to hide out in PA.

More than cops, you have to watch out for the locals. They are getting angry with the influx of people from NY and NJ who have been arriving. There have also been some opportunists who are illegally airbnb-ing their homes to make some bucks off of fleeing NY and NJ residents.

All I was saying is that if you are thinking, "la-di-da, I'll just mosey up to the Poconos", there are hundreds who have already done that and they are not being welcomed with flowers and parades, and if the cops pull you over and you don't have a good excuse for being there, they might take whatever action they can.

It's not black and white. The same thing happened here in NJ with our governor telling the beach house people to stay home. Can they do that legally when they pay taxes on those houses? Good question. But this conversation began with a guy who wants to take a vacation with his family, so he obviously doesn't have a Pocono house. I'm just saying the safer bet is to stay in upstate New York.
If you go out of state don't forget to take off your front plate

Old 04-02-2020, 04:42 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If you go out of state don't forget to take off your front plate
I was thinking there might be a black market on out-of-state plates.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
In North Carolina they are not allowing 2nd home owners onto the Outer Banks, just actual residents. I work with some people who have homes there and they were told nope, your not allowed.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:51 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,253 times
Quote:
In North Carolina they are not allowing 2nd home owners onto the Outer Banks, just actual residents. I work with some people who have homes there and they were told nope, your not allowed.
Sounds like a good idea. You wouldn't want infected New York residents harming your state.
So far NC has done everything correct to stop the spread whereas NY has done everything wrong. Just compare the case and death rates.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
He saw that she had the firefighter shield on her plates, and she told him that she works in the medical field on both sides of the line, and that she was going to her grandmother's funeral. He just waved for her to go. She was surprised that he pulled her over with the firefighter shield, unless he didn't notice it at first. Her husband is in their local department.
I don't think it's illegal to cross state lines with New York plates. Is it? If she hadn't had firefighter/medical/funeral reasons, what could he have actually done?

edit - never mind. I see your other post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.