Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:27 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

I don’t live in a overcrowded city full of overcrowded public housing residents, illegal immigrants, and hipsters living 10 to an apartment.

NYC is going to be ripped apart by this plague. No point in denying it.

So far, about 2,500 deaths in the entire US (much wider than NYC)... and 6,800 deaths in Spain.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:30 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So far, about 2,500 deaths in the entire US (much wider than NYC)... and 6,800 deaths in Spain.
So far

Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I'm here. You're not. Nothing is getting ripped apart. If anything, it's frozen solid.

Spain has a totalitarian history. The US, not so much. The lock down here will end when enough people demand it. Right now, at least in NY, it has pretty good popular support (which I find somewhat surprising.) Let it go on anther few weeks, and they'll be a lot of popular pressure to drop it. We'll see if the various governors (who are driving the shutdown much more than the feds) do when this happens.

Quote:
Err, we have unemployment here which I am more than happy to collect. They sell good cheap booze here too.

Education here moved online btw. Everything deemed not essential by the government was ordered closed Friday so the majority of the nation is unemployed. Ditto Italy. The government took over huge portions of the economy.

The exact same thing is happening in America as casualties increase. NYC is now the global epicenter of the epidemic and yes things will get much worse.

I don’t live in a overcrowded city full of overcrowded public housing residents, illegal immigrants, and hipsters living 10 to an apartment.

NYC is going to be ripped apart by this plague. No point in denying it.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So far. A few weeks ago Spain had just a few deaths, three months ago there was no known Coronavirus here. The US does have the highest number of infections in the world already.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm here. You're not. Nothing is getting ripped apart. If anything, it's frozen solid.

Spain has a totalitarian history. The US, not so much. The lock down here will end when enough people demand it. Right now, at least in NY, it has pretty good popular support (which I find somewhat surprising.) Let it go on anther few weeks, and they'll be a lot of popular pressure to drop it. We'll see if the various governors (who are driving the shutdown much more than the feds) do when this happens.
Yet pretty much everything is still shut down in NYC, and all you’ve done is complain online. A few weeks from now you’ll still be complaining.

Frozen solid is destroyed. Restaurants, bars, and other forms of entertainment closed. At least some of these businesses are not coming back.

NYC is now the capital of Coronavirus. Within a short period of time the number of infected will surpass both Spain and Italy. You can miss tourism and related businesses goodbye. You can miss the real estate market goodbye.

Policing might nkt be so great with three NYPD already dead.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:11 PM

If enough people complain, it will have an effect. We haven't gotten there yet, but for us, this is at most only two weeks old (and really only one.) Like I said, give it a few more weeks. Also let it get into middle America.

Quote:
Yet pretty much everything is still shut down in NYC, and all you’ve done is complain online. A few weeks from now you’ll still be complaining.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 PM

Do you think Milan and Madrid are destroyed also?

In WWII London was bombed to bits. After the war, it immediately returned to being the commercial capital of Europe.

This is a blip. A big blip, but a blip none the less. The pandemic will burn through, and make a big mess and kill a bunch of people. But it will go away, and we'll return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Quote:

Frozen solid is destroyed. Restaurants, bars, and other forms of entertainment closed. At least some of these businesses are not coming back.

NYC is now the capital of Coronavirus. Within a short period of time the number of infected will surpass both Spain and Italy. You can miss tourism and related businesses goodbye. You can miss the real estate market goodbye.

Policing might nkt be so great with three NYPD already dead.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Quote:
Do you think Milan and Madrid are destroyed also?

In WWII London was bombed to bits. After the war, it immediately returned to being the commercial capital of Europe.

This is a blip. A big blip, but a blip none the less. The pandemic will burn through, and make a big mess and kill a bunch of people. But it will go away, and we'll return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Not to mention German and Japanese cities; all of them were nearly totally destroyed.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Change is the only constant

Quote:
Nothing is permanent. Even if the pandemic stretches on for months, the economic shutdown will have to be lifted out of necessity in no more than three months, and the casualties will have to be considered acceptable. As more people get the infection, recover, and become immune, they'll start going back to a normal life, including travel.

And I have a feeling if the early vaccine trials (already happening) show anything promising, it will be fast tracked through later stage trials, and be put into distribution.
So true. The only constant in life is CHANGE. The minister of the church I attend during normal times said today via teleconference that actually said in spite of how horrible it is right now, there are still some things to be thankful for. That is true. This is a wake up call for all of us. As much as we humans dislike difficult times and adversary, those are the things that make us better, make us mature. A lot of nonsense that dominated the news will not interest us after we come through this. We'll be changed in a different yet better way. Common sense will trump political correctness.

I hate to say it but I must, all the over-priced cities (yes you NYC, SF, Seattle, LA) that allowed rent to balloon way beyond the average person's ability to afford, will get its comeuppance. They also put all of the small mom & pop businesses out of business by going up on their rent for the space by 1000%, that is not hyperbole, due to greed. I remember when NYC's garment district was totally dismantled and upended due to greed; SOLD out to Disney and NY Times, both who were moving to 42nd St. Ninety percent of the garment district jobs were sent to China.

After we get through the COVID-19 pandemic, landlords are NOT going to be able to resume charging those rates because the economy will be so bad that previous tenants will not be able to pay it and few people with money will choose to pay those outlandish rates. There will not be enough new tenants to fill those vacancies. Rental rates will be going all the way down to where they should have been ALL ALONG.

Now, that the govt sees that it was stupid to depend on another country to make all/most of your basic necessities while you produce nothing for yourself - simply a consumer, many manufacturing jobs will be coming BACK to the USA. I believe a lot will change for the better after COVID-19. History shows that people who triumph over adversity are always better for having done so.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
The subway is still packed and 90% passengers don't even wear a mask? Good luck with that.
It's sad that so many simple things could have reduced infections significantly ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.