Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 08:58 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,090,325 times

Advertisements

Note Nancy Pelosi and democrats forced taxpayers to spend 25 Million on the JFK center. That 25 Million could have bought tons of respirators for NYC.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:03 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,529,165 times
I'm taking my chances along with everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
will you volunteer to die?

Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,024,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Nothing is permanent. Even if the pandemic stretches on for months, the economic shutdown will have to be lifted out of necessity in no more than three months, and the casualties will have to be considered acceptable. As more people get the infection, recover, and become immune, they'll start going back to a normal life, including travel.

And I have a feeling if the early vaccine trials (already happening) show anything promising, it will be fast tracked through later stage trials, and be put into distribution.
Death is very permanent.

But not just death. Cellphones replaced pagers. Smartphones replaced flip phones. DVD’s, then streaming replaced VHS.

MP3 replaced CDs. Before that CDs, replaced audio cassettes.

The Great Depression lead to the creation of social security. WW2 leas to the GI Bill, and the Cold War lead to the civil rights bill and higher education bill.

Lots of things always lead to permanent changes. Sept 11th permanently lead to much greater security in air travel.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 PM

8,407 posts, read 4,431,736 times
Btw, it is pretty amazing to see how remote people are from reality when it comes to economics. My own understanding of that field is quite limited (which is why I am not an investor to speak of, but have entrusted my retirement to large insurers)... but this particular thread, in terms of economic comprehension is, ahem, pretty incredible... :-). With that, I am going back to listening to Led Zeppelin :-).

Old 03-29-2020, 09:09 PM

14,077 posts, read 13,998,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Btw, it is pretty amazing to see how remote people are from reality when it comes to economics. My own understanding of that field is quite limited (which is why I am not an investor to speak of, but have entrusted my retirement to large insurers)... but this particular thread, in terms of economic comprehension is, ahem, pretty incredible... :-). With that, I am going back to listening to Led Zeppelin :-).
I think NYC metro area and country economy will skyrocket when is virus is slow down or is over

Old 03-29-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Nothing is permanent. Even if the pandemic stretches on for months, the economic shutdown will have to be lifted out of necessity in no more than three months, and the casualties will have to be considered acceptable. As more people get the infection, recover, and become immune, they'll start going back to a normal life, including travel.

And I have a feeling if the early vaccine trials (already happening) show anything promising, it will be fast tracked through later stage trials, and be put into distribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Dude, stop overinterpreting and exaggerating the situation...

I understand that you lost your bread-butter tutoring job in a rural town of the developing world of Spain, because parents no longe allow their toddlers to day care centers anymore... understandably it is Devastating and challenging...but you are overcasting your personal struggles and end-of-the-world fears on the rest of the world...

Relax and chill for a couple days... you can always come back to NYC and claim your share of stimulus check to get by while waiting for the storm to pass... you might need to share an apartment with 49 others who got hit by this though, just to make your stimulus income go a little longer...

Take a deep breath... things will look ugly for a few months but then everything will rebound nicely... remember, there are always opportunities following destructions. Didn’t you study history? Put this into the context of WWII, this is really a little hiccup in the long human history that will likely be forgotten in a generation or so.
Err, we have unemployment here which I am more than happy to collect. They sell good cheap booze here too.

Education here moved online btw. Everything deemed not essential by the government was ordered closed Friday so the majority of the nation is unemployed. Ditto Italy. The government took over huge portions of the economy.

The exact same thing is happening in America as casualties increase. NYC is now the global epicenter of the epidemic and yes things will get much worse.

I don’t live in a overcrowded city full of overcrowded public housing residents, illegal immigrants, and hipsters living 10 to an apartment.

NYC is going to be ripped apart by this plague. No point in denying it.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 PM

8,407 posts, read 4,431,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I think NYC metro area and country economy will skyrocket when is virus is slow down or is over

That is the general assumption, very likely correct. Dow tends to briefly jump up by 1,000 points on any slightly positive tiny piece of economic news even now, still in the middle of the epidemic.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
That certainly is a potential future. I long for it. However, the complete opposite can result. We can become a country like the rest of world outside of Western Europe and pre Corona Canada and the US. We can become Mexico where it's fend for yourself if your poor. It can be any possible scenario. This nation has a true war of ideologies and one of them is going to win.
The US is not becoming third world or Mexico. There are reasons dating back to Spanish colonialism and Mexico losing a major war with the US why Mexico is a failed state.

The US certainly has financial and technological resources much of the world does not have, and will not have anytime soon.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:22 PM

We actually have historical precedent. The depression lead to social security. WW2 boosted civil rights and women’s rights.

Johnson created Medicare and Medicaid. In response to the Great Recession Obama crested the ACÁ which not even Trump could get rid of.

Each disaster leads to greater expansion of the social safety net/welfare state and these changes are permanent. Republicans are never going to be able to get rid of them.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,607,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Err, we have unemployment here which I am more than happy to collect. They sell good cheap booze here too.

Education here moved online btw. Everything deemed not essential by the government was ordered closed Friday so the majority of the nation is unemployed. Ditto Italy. The government took over huge portions of the economy.

The exact same thing is happening in America as casualties increase. NYC is now the global epicenter of the epidemic and yes things will get much worse.

I don’t live in a overcrowded city full of overcrowded public housing residents, illegal immigrants, and hipsters living 10 to an apartment.

NYC is going to be ripped apart by this plague. No point in denying it.
NYC is going to be ripped apart by this plague. No point in denying it ?? That takes the cake of quotes. Not because it may or not be true. But because you seem to want that to be the case. I am resisting the urge to think your taking some delight in this. Your other posts at times are so dark but they contain some reason. But others seem bleak and you revel in that. I understand and accept that you always need to be right at all costs. I accept that your a bad loser and a bad winner. But is that sentiment just you being a really bad winner and hoping ill on a city you left. I mean I sense the same type of pathogy from others who have popped up here this board has some unstable people but tell me I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.