Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 08:12 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,603,900 times

Advertisements

Great age. My wife is 59. Maybe she will be offered her pension now early. She said she would retire asap.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:13 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,723,364 times
30 year olds who are 40 or more pounds overweight but otherwise healthy are winding up in the ICU on ventilators.
But soon man will not be able to have ventilators because the case rate doubles every 4-6 days and we areat about 60,000 in New York State. So you might not take any necessary risks

Last edited by jonbenson; 03-29-2020 at 08:28 PM..

Old 03-29-2020, 08:17 PM

5,154 posts, read 4,987,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It is already a painful process if Trump passed the most progressive legislation since Franklin Roosevelt. And look at what´s happening in Europe. I live in Spain. The tourism economy here and in Italy is permanently destroyed, and the Spanish and Italian governments are essentially taking over huge parts of the private sector and printing money. Due to all the deaths, a very painful restructuring is already happening.

Tourism is obviously dead in NYC if the Javitz center has become a hospital, and they are talking about converting hotels and college dorms.

I think this changes people´s habits. Some things are easy to see, and others are hard to predict. Though the longer people don´t do something, the more they get used to not doing things.

Nightclubs might be permanently dead. While might go out to a local bar or restaurant, I cannot see people wanting to go to formerly popular nightclubs and restaurants. Not just due to the economic collapse, there´s the Coronavirus disease risk or whatever new epidemic may come out in the future.
Dude, stop overinterpreting and exaggerating the situation...

I understand that you lost your bread-butter tutoring job in a rural town of the developing world of Spain, because parents no longe allow their toddlers to day care centers anymore... understandably it is Devastating and challenging...but you are overcasting your personal struggles and end-of-the-world fears on the rest of the world...

Relax and chill for a couple days... you can always come back to NYC and claim your share of stimulus check to get by while waiting for the storm to pass... you might need to share an apartment with 49 others who got hit by this though, just to make your stimulus income go a little longer...

Take a deep breath... things will look ugly for a few months but then everything will rebound nicely... remember, there are always opportunities following destructions. Didn’t you study history? Put this into the context of WWII, this is really a little hiccup in the long human history that will likely be forgotten in a generation or so.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:25 PM

8,385 posts, read 4,411,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
PEEP in particular can be used to support collapsing alveoli (something the infection and subsequent inflammatory response can cause.) I don't know if a CPAP can do that.

From the point of view of the machine, PEEP and CPAP are generated similarly, only PEEP is added to other parameyers of the ventilator which fully breathes for you, while with CPAP that is all you get from the ventilator (or from CPAP machine) while you otherwise breathe by yourself.

With PEEP, the ventilator delivers positive pressure to the lungs according to pre-set parameters, and when it finishes delivering tidal volume, it lets you exhale, but keeps a bit of positive pressure against end-exhalation to help alveoli stay open.

CPAP simply delivers the same low-level positive pressure at all times - this continuous pressure slightly helps you inhale by yourself, and it slightly resists exhalation, thereby keeping the alveoli open just like PEEP. Ventilators can function in purely CPAP mode, usually used during weaning from ventilator prior to removal of breathing tube.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
Nothing is permanent. Even if the pandemic stretches on for months, the economic shutdown will have to be lifted out of necessity in no more than three months, and the casualties will have to be considered acceptable. As more people get the infection, recover, and become immune, they'll start going back to a normal life, including travel.

And I have a feeling if the early vaccine trials (already happening) show anything promising, it will be fast tracked through later stage trials, and be put into distribution.

Quote:
It is already a painful process if Trump passed the most progressive legislation since Franklin Roosevelt. And look at what´s happening in Europe. I live in Spain. The tourism economy here and in Italy is permanently destroyed, and the Spanish and Italian governments are essentially taking over huge parts of the private sector and printing money. Due to all the deaths, a very painful restructuring is already happening.

Tourism is obviously dead in NYC if the Javitz center has become a hospital, and they are talking about converting hotels and college dorms.

I think this changes people´s habits. Some things are easy to see, and others are hard to predict. Though the longer people don´t do something, the more they get used to not doing things.

Nightclubs might be permanently dead. While might go out to a local bar or restaurant, I cannot see people wanting to go to formerly popular nightclubs and restaurants. Not just due to the economic collapse, there´s the Coronavirus disease risk or whatever new epidemic may come out in the future.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:29 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,723,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Nothing is permanent. Even if the pandemic stretches on for months, the economic shutdown will have to be lifted out of necessity in no more than three months, and the casualties will have to be considered acceptable.

will you volunteer to die?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,603,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
will you volunteer to die?
Well obviously his soul is, lol. Couldn't help it. Sorry, aorry.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 PM

8,385 posts, read 4,411,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Great age. My wife is 59. Maybe she will be offered her pension now early. She said she would retire asap.

In my case, I am self-employed (an independent contractor), so I built my own retirement plan with savings over the years, mostly consisting of layered annuities from gigantic insurance companies that have been around for at least 100 years, mostly much longer (ie, they sailed through the Great Depression of 1929 without problems). Based on what I built, I am offering myself a retirement this year. I think I'll accept the offer :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 03-29-2020 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-29-2020, 08:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,372,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

Take a deep breath... things will look ugly for a few months but then everything will rebound nicely... remember, there are always opportunities following destructions. Didn’t you study history? Put this into the context of WWII, this is really a little hiccup in the long human history that will likely be forgotten in a generation or so.
Quote:

At first I thought you were being sarcastic. This Covid-19 has so many of us anxious af. You are not alone. Please take care of your mental health. There are free on-line sources and numbers you can call.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:46 PM

874 posts, read 455,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

"I think we are going to see more desperation out there very soon. I went out this evening
around 10 to get cash and on my way back, almost near my building, a guy approaches me
with "Excuse me, miss" This NEVER HAPPENS on my little side street. It's a very quiet
residential street with nothing going on whatsoever except coop buildings. No retail, no nothing."

I was pretty surprised, and just did my NY thing of pretending I didn't hear him. But I was a little shaken...

... I guess he was probably going to ask for money, although he was just walking down the street and not standing and begging (which would be a mistake on that street since at 10 pm most people are in bed and the street is deserted, at least in quarantine times like these).

There was no time between the ‘break of dawn

...and right before it got DARK out

to ‘run to the bank’ and get cash??

you really needed the $$ that late?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City