Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think we are going to see more desperation out there very soon. I went out this evening around 10 to get cash and on my way back, almost near my building, a guy approaches me with "Excuse me, miss" This NEVER HAPPENS on my little side street. It's a very quiet residential street with nothing going on whatsoever except coop buildings. No retail, no nothing.

I was pretty surprised, and just did my NY thing of pretending I didn't hear him. But I was a little shaken. I guess he was probably going to ask for money, although he was just walking down the street and not standing and begging (which would be a mistake on that street since at 10 pm most people are in bed and the street is deserted, at least in quarantine times like these).
Which is why you have a social safety net for people when they lose their jobs. Which is also why you provide genuine opportunity to all your citizens.

But good grief begging for money has happened all over NYC. If you live in Jackson Heights for any length of time, asking for money on a side streets is not exactly new either.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Sick in homeless shelters

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavir...6zG5t_fDS4Cr7k

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Why is this surprising??
I'm not surprised. Just saddened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Especially when it clearly didn’t sink in. Or they were taught alternative nonsense.
Put it like this. Museums, libraries and the like will hire me over someone who just read books.

When it comes to employment, credentials actually matter. Mine are pretty good.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
History of Arrendelle?
You’re a police officer, not a historian.

It’s like a person on the street reading whatever online and giving medical advice. It’s bogus. Everyone is an expert in everything until an actual crisis happens. Like Coronavirus....

Old 03-21-2020, 09:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
https://www.amny.com/editorial/poten...L4sXcSrCf7Hxk0

Universal income might be coming

Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Can we say infection explosion? Having so many homeless is dangerous to the public.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:21 PM

5,112 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
I think we are going to see more desperation out there very soon. I went out this evening around 10 to get cash and on my way back, almost near my building, a guy approaches me with "Excuse me, miss" This NEVER HAPPENS on my little side street. It's a very quiet residential street with nothing going on whatsoever except coop buildings. No retail, no nothing.

I was pretty surprised, and just did my NY thing of pretending I didn't hear him. But I was a little shaken. I guess he was probably going to ask for money, although he was just walking down the street and not standing and begging (which would be a mistake on that street since at 10 pm most people are in bed and the street is deserted, at least in quarantine times like these).
Henna, I agree and foresee a good amount of unrest looming as NYC continues to dive deeper into trouble...following the disease sufferings, there will be plenty economic catastrophe, financial crisis,street riots, property robberies and other crimes that will follow...you probably should relocate Next to airpborne so you will have access to personal protection services as needed each time when you need to get around and run some errands, assuming that he is as good and as tough as he has been bragging to be...

Old 03-21-2020, 09:25 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Henna, I agree and foresee a good amount of unrest looming as NYC continues to dive deeper into trouble...following the disease sufferings, there will be plenty economic catastrophe, financial crisis,street riots, property robberies and other crimes that will follow...you probably should relocate Next to airpborne so you will have access to personal protection services as needed each time when you need to get around and run some errands, assuming that he is as good and as tough as he has been bragging to be...
I hate to admit I agree with that horrible projection of the future.

Will extend to Tri-State, btw.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:29 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
a guy approaches me with "Excuse me, miss" This NEVER HAPPENS on my little side street.
I know. I experienced something similar the other day. The streets are dead. Most of the stores are closed. The bakeries I visited had more employees than customers and everyone jumped up eager to help me when I entered. It was so sad.

I was also mad. This one 99 cent store that's still open (while other 99 cent stores are shuttered till further notice) was selling a box of kleenix tissues for $3.00 when just yesterday the exact same box of tissues was only $1.20. I left in disgust.

Anyway, yeah. As I was walking along I saw a guy in his 30's (not dirty or disheveled, didn't look homeless but had no mask on) approach people. And I saw others hear him out only to shake their heads & pass. When he came to me, I just shook my head. But I felt bad for not at least hearing him out but the dude had no mask on & judging by how others acted towards him, I don't think he was lost and needing directions. And he had no mask on. Everyone's wearing a mask! And we're still keeping our distance from eachother...

It's like we're acting as if everyone has the cooties.

Last edited by Aeran; 03-21-2020 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City