Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 12:58 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Yes. The lockdown isn't working there, and it won't work here. I've been watching whats been going on in my area, and assume it's been the same in the rest of the city. People have been mixing. "Social distancing" has been, at best, optional. If you've gone to a supermarket or an ATM, you've exposed yourself to everyone else who's been there. Everyone just needs to price in the fact that they'll likely get the virus. The vast majority will recover. Some will die. Until there's vaccine and/or treatment for those infected, there's really anything the government and/or the medical establishment can do about it. The curve won't be flattened.

Italy has been in lockdown for three weeks now, with a virus that has a two week incubation period, and their caseload is still rising. So it isn't working.
The country, outside of Lombary, was placed in lockdown on the 9th. It's the 22nd now. How much of subsequent cases are from multiperson households where transmission can still occur, greater availability of tests, or the influence of people who are bad actors and ignoring the lockdown and advocating for people to ignore the lockdown? Italy saw its first day of decrease in reported deaths from coronavirus yesterday: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rope-lockdown/

Also, how long is the recovery time in cases that requires hospitalization? Did you try looking into that?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-22-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 01:01 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,819 times
I dont know what deBlasio thinks he is accomplishing by stoking these fears. We are. It running out of supplies. I brought a truck load of supplies to the Staten Island location last night. The supply tents are full. They are running out of room to store things. Do not believe what deBlasio is telling you.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:02 PM

515 posts, read 526,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No. Cuomo needs to realize that his plan isn't working, won't work, and can't work, and just needs to give it up.
So let’s say Cuomo goes with your plan of just opening everything up again and turns a blind on this like you’re suggesting. Now everyone goes back to work, to hell with social distancing all of the sake of the economy.
The virus is still out there and continues to spread. Now 80% or more of the US populations is sick and I know that more than 50% of the US population probably has some type of underlying medical condition that will turn them having the virus from bad to death. What’s your solution for the economy when people can’t work because they are sick or dead?

And this is a legit question, I’m in no way trying to attack your theory.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
So let’s say Cuomo goes with your plan of just opening everything up again and turns a blind on this like you’re suggesting. Now everyone goes back to work, to hell with social distancing all of the sake of the economy.
The virus is still out there and continues to spread. Now 80% or more of the US populations is sick and I know that more than 50% of the US population probably has some type of underlying medical condition that will turn them having the virus from bad to death. What’s your solution for the economy when people can’t work because they are sick or dead?
I would hope that if they did something that stupid, they would at least not tell people to stop social distancing and other precautions.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I can't rep you anymore.
Lol I did so for you!

Old 03-22-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I would hope that if they did something that stupid, they would at least not tell people to stop social distancing and other precautions.
Well BBMW is suggesting we just go back to normal and open all businesses and go about life like nothing is happening and the minute we do that all social distancing will go out the window.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Well BBMW is suggesting we just go back to normal and open all businesses and go about life like nothing is happening and the minute we do that all social distancing will go out the window.
Yea, social distancing would be more limited if that happened, and I very much disagree with BBMW on this and think people who are thinking like him are being short-sighted and dangerously stupid about this, but he was not proposing that people completely disregard social distancing or other precautions.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-22-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 01:18 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Hello, have a great Sunday, I am preparing and end of the world playlist for my walk. I got so far The End of the World as We Know it, by REM, Iron Man by Black SABBATH, Nothing Else Matters by Metalica, Dancing to the World End by Britany Spears any suggestions lol ? Be at peace folks.
That song by Britney Spears that's like, "I I I wanna go ooo all the wayy taking out my freak tonight." Parts of the song talks about her dancing until the world ends. It's such a catchy song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Oh, and people here are fronting. All this right wing stuff and they are going to be applying for their government checks.
LOL. They'll be begging for their puny welfare checks. I hope this teaches people a good lesson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Pretty sure you didn’t read the interaction nywriter was flapping about.

He believes that it is bravado to point out that history has proven - time and time again - that collapsing economies lead to major wars. He claims that his history degree allows him to say that this is not true.
I'm confused (did he or did he not say that). Either way, I hope that the collapsing of economies doesn't lead to another war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Let us all hope and pray that China is telling the truth about 3 days new-cases free. Fingers crossed.
It's pretty scary how a country can keep a secret like that for so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Wow. She's tough. And not all talk. The real kind. God bless.
She's brave, wise, and strong. I bet people could learn a lot from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
First of all, I'm already TOTALLY FED UP with the "selfish locusts" that have descended on the grocery stores, and cleaned out the places, right to the walls!!!

If everybody just shopped like they normally do, there'd be no shortage of anything. But the media has hyped this current situation to the point that life, as we've known it, is on the brink of extinction, within the next 2-3 months. WELL, IF THAT TURNS OUT TO BE TRUE, AND ALL THE PREVIOUS PROPHECIES AND "END OF TIMES" PREDICTIONS COME TO PASS, THEN "WTF" GOOD IS 85 ROLLS OF TOILET PAPER IN THE CLOSET GOING TO DO FOR YOU????
It's such selfish behavior and this kind of behavior thrives because this society perpetuates division. We don't see each other as fellow citizens and so it's easy for people to do such selfish things. Between religion (always putting fear into the congregation), the mainstream media, and these paranoid prepper shows, it definitely is behind a lot of the panic. People don't know how good they have it here in terms of not having to worry about running out of food. The way they are buying up everything though, this might be something we will have to worry about in the future. I just hope that all stores are rationing. IMO they should have started rationing from earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Parks in NYC needs to be closed. Too many congregate. Also this virus will have social, poltical and cultural ramifications for America and for nyc.
Close parks? I mean I dunno...I am taking this seriously the whole social distancing thing, but if this goes on for let's say a year, won't people start losing it being at home all the time?

Old 03-22-2020, 01:23 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times
According to world meter nys has 23k infection with nyc having more than 15k infected. I suspect tomorrow by Tuesday. Nyc will have 20k infected and having 30k infected by Weeks end.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
That song by Britney Spears that's like, "I I I wanna go ooo all the wayy taking out my freak tonight." Parts of the song talks about her dancing until the world ends. It's such a catchy song.

LOL. They'll be begging for their puny welfare checks. I hope this teaches people a good lesson.

I'm confused (did he or did he not say that). Either way, I hope that the collapsing of economies doesn't lead to another war.

It's pretty scary how a country can keep a secret like that for so long.

She's brave, wise, and strong. I bet people could learn a lot from her.

It's such selfish behavior and this kind of behavior thrives because this society perpetuates division. We don't see each other as fellow citizens and so it's easy for people to do such selfish things. Between religion (always putting fear into the congregation), the mainstream media, and these paranoid prepper shows, it definitely is behind a lot of the panic. People don't know how good they have it here in terms of not having to worry about running out of food. The way they are buying up everything though, this might be something we will have to worry about in the future. I just hope that all stores are rationing. IMO they should have started rationing from earlier.

Close parks? I mean I dunno...I am taking this seriously the whole social distancing thing, but if this goes on for let's say a year, won't people start losing it being at home all the time?
There is virtually no way this, as in the lockdown starting tonight at 8 pm, can or will go on for anything close to a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City