Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 01:28 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Yes. The lockdown isn't working there, and it won't work here. I've been watching whats been going on in my area, and assume it's been the same in the rest of the city. People have been mixing. "Social distancing" has been, at best, optional. If you've gone to a supermarket or an ATM, you've exposed yourself to everyone else who's been there. Everyone just needs to price in the fact that they'll likely get the virus. The vast majority will recover. Some will die. Until there's vaccine and/or treatment for those infected, there's really anything the government and/or the medical establishment can do about it. The curve won't be flattened.

Italy has been in lockdown for three weeks now, with a virus that has a two week incubation period, and their caseload is still rising. So it isn't working.
So what do you suggest that we do? Going to Times Square to protest is not an exactly helping in this pandemic, all it will do is divert police resources from places that will need them. Its going to get worse before it gets better. Im just hoping it does not shift from fear/panic to rioting/looting cause thats where we are headed.

I personally see the nonsense out there where people are still trying to live their life oblivious to the fact that the virus is spreading. Im seeing people who still trying to go to the gym, still trying to go to church, still trying to have the weekly sunday family dinner where they all gather at moms house. Friday i saw someone buying a 70" TV in BJs and my thought process is who the F buys a TV in a pandemic? Everyone else got canned food, bleach, rice, water, diapers, meat, baby formula and this person is just rolling out with a 70" TV .

The US have already failed because they didnt watch what was happening in China and stop the international flights. Even with Chinese New Year they foolishly knew lots of asians would go home for the new year then come back bringing the virus with them and they allowed it to happen like America was untouchable. NYC is playing catch up and Coumo is doing the best he can with the disaster he was given.

The best we can do, is to do our part until this passes.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:31 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
According to world meter nys has 23k infection with nyc having more than 15k infected. I suspect tomorrow by Tuesday. Nyc will have 20k infected and having 30k infected by Weeks end.
How many have symptoms? How many have only mild symptoms? Raw numbers sound bad but if they said 23k were infected but 22.9k (or whatever) are doing just fine at home it wouldn’t sound like the end of the world.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:36 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
So what do you suggest that we do? Going to Times Square to protest is not an exactly helping in this pandemic, all it will do is divert police resources from places that will need them. Its going to get worse before it gets better. Im just hoping it does not shift from fear/panic to rioting/looting cause thats where we are headed.

I personally see the nonsense out there where people are still trying to live their life oblivious to the fact that the virus is spreading. Im seeing people who still trying to go to the gym, still trying to go to church, still trying to have the weekly sunday family dinner where they all gather at moms house. Friday i saw someone buying a 70" TV in BJs and my thought process is who the F buys a TV in a pandemic? Everyone else got canned food, bleach, rice, water, diapers, meat, baby formula and this person is just rolling out with a 70" TV .

The US have already failed because they didnt watch what was happening in China and stop the international flights. Even with Chinese New Year they foolishly knew lots of asians would go home for the new year then come back bringing the virus with them and they allowed it to happen like America was untouchable. NYC is playing catch up and Coumo is doing the best he can with the disaster he was given.

Well they are going to be homebound and bought a tv. My wife is working from home I got her a Kourig today.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:41 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Here we go... Let's pray. I heard its having good effects. Let's hope Chloroquine is the answer.

https://twitter.com/alx/status/1241748984756162560

Old 03-22-2020, 01:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Yes. The lockdown isn't working there, and it won't work here. I've been watching whats been going on in my area, and assume it's been the same in the rest of the city. People have been mixing. "Social distancing" has been, at best, optional. If you've gone to a supermarket or an ATM, you've exposed yourself to everyone else who's been there. Everyone just needs to price in the fact that they'll likely get the virus. The vast majority will recover. Some will die. Until there's vaccine and/or treatment for those infected, there's really anything the government and/or the medical establishment can do about it. The curve won't be flattened.

Italy has been in lockdown for three weeks now, with a virus that has a two week incubation period, and their caseload is still rising. So it isn't working.
Even when the vaccine is available, it isn't 100% effective. Once people are vaccinated, those elderly and folks with underlying conditions need to stay away from people until the virus is no longer being actively circulated. Anybody with autoimmune illness needs to stay away from people until the numbers drop considerably even after the vaccine is widely available. I think it's a 24 month period when we can consider the virus under control.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:22 PM

874 posts, read 454,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post

Well BBMW is suggesting we just go back to normal and open all businesses and go about life like
nothing is happening and the minute we do that all social distancing will go out the window.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...k-whats-6.html

Do you think they're kidding around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointoviewz View Post

Vibe in the city has been real bad for a while. It has that post-apocalyptic feel to it.

This coronavirus is nowhere near as bad as how it's being covered in the media and yet people are being put on lockdown.

When the lockdown's done and everything slowly gets started back up, its gonna get ugly.

because of this chinese virus, if it weren’t for the “LOCKDOWNS” around here/there/ the borders, etc -- It would be much worse - and they just said + everyone's hero, mayor D... "it's going to get much worse before it gets any better." Maybe he's wrong about it - but let's be cautious about this mutating, latching skeevy virus from wuhan china!

YOUR 'LOCKDOWN': [apparently annoys you because of some ‘inconvenience’ I bet – can’t get to the gym? + you didn't get it did you?]
sorry – it’s an outrageous statement:

(“nowhere near as bad as how it’s being covered in the media and yet people are being put on lockdown.”)

Old 03-22-2020, 02:32 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
It would inject some reality into what is very much pandemic theater. Cuomo is not saying the pandemic will likely run up to 9 months. I take this as meaning that he intends to keep the lockdown going that long, and really, no one really knows how long it will least.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/cuomo-...p-to-9-months/

The lockdown in NOT sustainable for that period of time. I doubt it's sustainable beyond a few weeks. Until everyone who's left develops some level or immunity, or until they get out a vaccine, this is something we're going to have to figure out how to function with on something like a normal ongoing basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

Last edited by BBMW; 03-22-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 02:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
I know you're out of the country. But if anyone wants to meet in Times Square on Tuesday at Noon, I'm completely down for it. Let's see what happens.
Coronavirus transmission and you’re an older man and much more at risk. NYC already has 5 percent of global cases.

No one is dumb enough to show up with a bunch of people on Times Square. You’ll be there by yourself.

Try not to get arrested, it’s spreading in criminal justice facilities.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
He wants to be taken seriously.
Was all complaints about the crime/welfare issue. And no action.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:16 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,351,772 times
"Americans urged to cheer from their windows Sunday night to show support for health care workers"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/us/he...rnd/index.html

With NYC the epicenter, I imagine your workers will hear you loud and clear if you can spread the word. #solidarityat8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City